This thread is privately moderated by Larrikin, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 21, 2012, 04:53 PM
Everything's A Compromise
Thread OP
Build Log

ASK-13 Rebuild Log

G'day,
I'm guilty of having too many unfinished projects (like many other people I suspect) but recently, I've been presented with an opportunity that I coundn't refuse.
In the mid 80's, my dad built his first 1/4 scale model from a Cliff Charlesworth plan, the ASK-13. The subject he chose to model was a '13 that both of us had flown in and was based at a gliding center about 3 hours drive from home in Kingaroy. Looking for his next project, he turned to the ASK-18 and he sold the '13 to help finance it.
To cut a long story short, my plan is to have both the '13 and the '18 airworthy so my dad can see both of his 20+ year old creations circling in the same thermal being piloted by myself and his grandson. And if he behaves himself I might even hand him the transmitter (Payback is sweet.)

ASK-13-1.MOV (3 min 6 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2012, 07:19 PM
Nice work there Guys, this is one of very special projects that is worth the time and effort and to be able to share the project accross 3 generations, even more so.

Thanks for sharing.

cheers Rossco.
Mar 31, 2012, 11:40 PM
Thread OP
A little more progress here and here
Last edited by Larrikin; Jan 09, 2016 at 10:29 PM.
Dec 24, 2015, 11:44 PM
Thread OP

Time flies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin
my plan is to have both the '13 and the '18 airworthy so my dad can see both of his 20+ year old creations circling in the same thermal being piloted by myself and his grandson. And if he behaves himself I might even hand him the transmitter (Payback is sweet.)
Well, here I am again. So much has happened since I updated this thread. Sadly, dad wont get to see his creations, not from his earthly manifestation anyway. We lost him almost 2 years ago. {:-(

Getting back onto the '13 rebuild has been an extremely therapeutic and cathartic exercise. Although, seeing the way that dad built this model, I sometimes shake my head and wonder what he was thinking. Then I have to remind myself that this was his first 1/4 scale model and that it was built over 30 years ago, from nothing more than a plan and a canopy! Consider, ... a 4 meter wingspan model was a monster back then ... huge!!!!

David
Dec 25, 2015, 05:38 AM
working to the closest cm
Watching :-)
Dec 28, 2015, 12:40 AM
Thread OP

Covering

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1&postcount=41
Dec 28, 2015, 02:03 AM
Thread OP

The Nose Wheel

Scrutinizing my fitting of the nose wheel I noticed that it wasn't as straight as I'd like it ... as in, 'steering the 13 to the left' kind of not straight.
And then it hit me. I removed the wheel, clamps and all, and filed it in the "What Was I Thinking" folder.
What I'll do is build a box around the wheel and then fit the box into the fuselage. Much better idea.

THIS IS GONE
Last edited by Larrikin; Dec 28, 2015 at 06:08 AM.
Jan 03, 2016, 01:52 AM
Thread OP
Cleaning the wing skins

(Apologies for the mumbling)

Residue (1 min 42 sec)
Last edited by Larrikin; Jan 07, 2016 at 05:50 AM.
Jan 03, 2016, 07:58 AM
Thread OP

Joiner Bar and DIY tubes

I bought some 2011 series aluminium bar at 16mm diameter.
I rolled my own tubes from carbon as described in the Sniper build thread.

Thanks again, Jeff.
Last edited by Larrikin; Jan 03, 2016 at 04:58 PM.
Jan 05, 2016, 05:01 PM
Thread OP
Building the joiner boxes.

BuildingTheBoxes (3 min 15 sec)
Last edited by Larrikin; Jan 06, 2016 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Embedded the video ... whatever that means {-_-}
Jan 06, 2016, 10:08 AM
Thread OP
More building the joiner boxes.

BoxConstruction (1 min 18 sec)
Jan 07, 2016, 02:43 AM
Thread OP

Inspiration

This is the first time I've done this and I'm pleased I did.
I found a "clean" 3-view drawing of the '13, picked a colour scheme, coloured it in (being careful not to go outside the lines ) and then placed it in full view on my white board.
It works. I've run out of puff and been ready to stop for the day/night and images spark me up and I get some more done.

The scheme I've chosen is a mash of a few full size '13 schemes as seen in the pics below.
The scheme should make the '13 "pop" when amongst the all-white composite clones.

D.
Last edited by Larrikin; Jan 07, 2016 at 05:54 AM.
Jan 07, 2016, 03:45 AM
Entropy is happening!
Nice looking model. Good to see the project progressing. Gives me a bit of motivation!

What do you mean in the caption below the last picture Dave?

"The rudder is my only input"?

Single channel rc?
Jan 07, 2016, 05:36 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson
What do you mean in the caption below the last picture Dave?

"The rudder is my only input"?

Single channel rc?
That post was purely referring to the colour scheme, Jim.
Even though CKRB has red stripes on the rudder, they're slanted upwards. I prefer horizontal stripes.

D.
Jan 08, 2016, 02:11 AM
Thread OP

Joiner box overkill ?

It's probably an overkill but if the wing fails, it wont be the joiner box.

D.

Structural Tabs (1 min 42 sec)
Last edited by Larrikin; Jan 08, 2016 at 02:19 AM.

Quick Reply