This thread is privately moderated by killbucket, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 21, 2012, 06:26 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Thread OP
Discussion

Mack Bulldog RC truck body

Make your own Lexan RC car or truck body? Why not. I got lucky at the plastics shop when they mis-picked some material a few years back: I got 18 sheets of .063" thick clear MAKROLON polycarb, and they didn't charge me for it. Since they couldn't use it, they gave it to me.

A bit tough to cut, but the results should be better than bulletproof. My Tamiya Blackfoot custom-chassis'd truck will have a big flatbed Mack AC Bulldog look, but be done up very modern. the body will be gloss black...I think. ?I just found some bright orange paint.
Orange Blossom Special?
Last edited by killbucket; Feb 23, 2012 at 02:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2012, 06:52 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Thread OP

Neat thing about Lexan...

"Unlike most thermoplastics, polycarbonate can undergo large plastic deformations without cracking or breaking. As a result, it can be processed and formed at room temperature using sheet metal techniques, such as forming bends on a brake. Even for sharp angle bends with a tight radius, no heating is generally necessary. "
From Wikipedia.

The stuff is not easy to bend with your hands. I need to get a sheet metal brake, and soon. My next toy.
Feb 21, 2012, 07:18 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Thread OP

More on the Tamiya MACK Truck

Ground clearance at the center of the frame is 3.66 inches. The body parts were mouse-sheened on the CNC (still learning this material), and bonded using Oatey Black ABS cement. A prior test showed excellent bonding, the cement soaks in and melts the parts together well.

The flatbed is large enough to carry a Tamiya Wild Willy2. A view from the underside shows the sub-frame of the body structure. The body and bed are all one part, and four #6 x 1/2" screws at each end hold it in place.

I have wanted to make a big, radio-controlled MACK AC Bulldog truck, forever. Tamiya's bullet-proof Blackfoot Xtreme provides a solid, not-too-pricey base, one that I know can take some abuse.

I'm installing a Traxxas/Novak 14.4V speed control, Haven't decided on cell count yet, that I'll play with.

Before I can do that, I need to draw up and make a radio box for this. I'd like to seal it up for puddle-jumps.

I just found the locked diff that I set up for one of the Wild Willy2's about four years ago (I'd written the date onto it with sharpie when I filled it with J-B-Weld).

Quick Reply