Feb 20, 2012, 08:05 AM
Thread OP
Help!

How much range does 2.4G Tx/Rx give?

how to know the range of a 2.4g transmitter? Can it reach 1km?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 20, 2012, 08:11 AM
Apart from the low power "toy" transmitters most transmitters produce a very similar amount of signal power. But the range generally depends a lot more on the receiver used than the transmitter. So if you have any SPECIFIC equipment in mind you have a better chance of getting answers.

But having said that, almost all "normal" RC transmitters with their recommended receivers will have a range well over 1km.

Steve
Feb 20, 2012, 08:36 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
At 1km you can probably 'see' a model moving, but whether you would see the model well enough to accurately control it may be debatable. Straight up wouldn't be as much of a problem as low level at distance.

With 2.4Ghz, (microwave frequencies), you would also need good 'line of sight' to maintain radio link, i.e. nothing in the way that you may fly behind, if for instance you were flying FPV and flew behind buildings, trees etc.
Feb 20, 2012, 08:58 AM
to answer an unanswerable question

it depends on:
1) local noise floor
1) local noise floor
1) local noise floor
1) local noise floor
2) transmitter (signal strength AND encoding scheme)
3) receiver (sensitivity & filtering of interference)
4) antenna selection
5) location flown in (multipathing? water? signal blocking? disturbance of the fresnal zone?)

the place to ask is in FPV sections, where gear is pushed as far as it will go. in which case you will find

the best quality 2.4ghz transmitter & receivers from airtronics/sanwa & futaba WITHOUT major modifications (like signal boosters, patch antennas, etc) will go 1.5-2.5 miles.
the worst quality (spektrum, assan, all other cheap chinese crap) will go a few hundred feet and you are an extremely lucky person to hit 1 mile without major issues

from my years of flying i can tell you that unaided visual sight of an airplane as large as a fluorescent orange 2m glider and 1/4-1/3 ish sized scale planes is only roughly 1/8m. people claim a mile or more sometimes, but they're full of it. you may see a dot, but you can't see features, wings, know what its doing, etc.

now you want to go back a cuple decades to true 1/4 scale when 1/4 scale meant planes had 10' wingspans and weighed 20 pounds. ya, you can see those well beyond 1/8m.
Feb 20, 2012, 09:37 AM
Under more or less, ideal conditions, a regular 2.4ghz system has a range of about 1.2 km.
This is using a standard TX and the standard RX's with dual and or satellite antennas.
800 meters is more typical though. Trees, buildings, ambient RF noise all come into play which affects range. The closer a plane is to the ground where things interfere with the signal affect the range too. Someone's home with a 2.4ghz Wifi system and a 2.4ghz home surveillance system installed may jam you out well before getting that far out there. A company with a microwave dish transceiver system might block you out as your plane flies through the directed beam.

The problem is for most people trying to see a model airplane at 800 meters or farther out well enough to control it is very problematical, even as the size of the plane gets larger.

Most of us cannot see a plane well enough to fly much beyond about 300 meters.
Latest blog entry: yes I still fly airplanes too
Feb 20, 2012, 10:31 AM
I can vouch for that - for reasons I won't go into, I let my 1.4m Cessna 182 get about 600m out, and it was fairly miraculous that I got it back, against a headwind. The sun was in the perfect position behind me, and the white wings against a dark background gave themselves away just enough to get orientation. I plan to never get even half that far out again!

Quick Reply