Buy the Eclipse 7 3 21.43%
Save your money, don't get a buddy box 2 14.29%
Buy something else. 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:47 PM
Find More Posts by minnreefer
Discussion

2nd transmitter Aurora or Eclipse 7?

I want/need to buy a second transmitter for a backup to my current Aurora and as a buddy box to help teach my boy to fly. Money is pretty tight right now and I really don't need 9 channels on any of my current planes or any planes in my near future.

Do you think I should spend the extra $100 to upgrade a second transmitter to the Aurora or save the money for other things?

Thanks

Jon
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:51 PM
Find More Posts by A.T.
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnreefer View Post
I want/need to buy a second transmitter for a backup to my current Aurora and as a buddy box to help teach my boy to fly. Money is pretty tight right now and I really don't need 9 channels on any of my current planes or any planes in my near future. Do you think I should spend the extra $100 to upgrade a second transmitter to the Aurora or save the money for other things? Thanks Jon
"spend the extra $100 to upgrade a second transmitter to the Aurora "
Reading this as meaning a module and Optima transceiver package for an exisiting TX?
. Other TX do not need to be upgraded to 2.4GHz to operate as Slave or Master with an Aurora.
. If you have an exisiting Eclipse 7, Optic 6 or Prism 7 that you wish to use as a Master,
and use a model setup with existing AFHSS 2.4Ghz transceiver/receiver,
simply remove the module from the Aurira and insert into the other TX
- no need to change ID-Setup etc.
A9 does not need module when acting as a slave only.
Aurora 9 - Trainer / Buddy system Master & Slave function Set-up
. Hitec Optic 5 Cheap alternate slave/buddy, includes a Minima 6ch RX.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

PS: Just in case you also need a "trainer", there is a new RTF with new
Hitec "Lite 4" 4 channel due 2012 which can act as a slave (buddy box) only to an Aurora, Eclipse etc..
Intended for release only with RTF models, at this time, as per attached examples
Last edited by A.T.; Feb 21, 2012 at 10:53 PM. Reason: correct bad spelling transpositions
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks Alan, no I meant to spend an extra $100 over an Eclipse. I currently have an Aurora and I do enjoy it, I would also like to have some sort of back-up in case I damage the Aurora, or it might be something I keep with a lipo near by ready to go (I am always afraid that I will leave my transmitter at home when I go fly, I have a 2 hr round trip to the field), I don't need another trainer, I currently have 4 planes that I could use as a trainer if I needed . As I stated, my primary goal would be to have one that I can use as a buddy box, and or a remote for my boy to use (assuming I can get my 8 year old more interested in flying)

What is the best bang for the busk one would say.
Thanks
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:35 PM
Find More Posts by aa78
Fast and low...
Considered used equipment if money is tight?
Old Mar 10, 2012, 02:56 PM
I found a local store that will sell me a new one with a 7 channel rx for $330, so I think I will pick that up on Monday.

If anyone wants, I can send you their name and website.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:19 PM
Find More Posts by jlremr
Johninarky
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnreefer View Post
I found a local store that will sell me a new one with a 7 channel rx for $330, so I think I will pick that up on Monday.

If anyone wants, I can send you their name and website.
If you don't need the servos, you can buy the tx and 7 chan. rx for $239
from Tower Hobbies and probably a few others.
John
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:15 PM
Find More Posts by Mattacks
I just picked up an eclipse 7 pro. I did a lot of comparing of that radio with the Futaba 8FG but ultimately decided on the eclipse 7. Its a really nice radio for $300 and you get two receivers. For $ 400 you can easily add another two receivers. Also, the new eclipse 7 looks slick!
Last edited by Mattacks; Mar 24, 2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:23 PM
Find More Posts by aa78
Fast and low...
8FG competes more with the Aurora 9, not Eclipse 7 Pro. Eclipse 7 pro competes with similar radios in this segment like dx6i, dx7, 7C, 6EX, Optic 6/Sport, etc.

It is a new radio with telemetry which makes this deal quite good indeed with the number of receivers included.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:33 PM
Find More Posts by Mattacks
yea its a good bang for your buck deal.
Last edited by Mattacks; Mar 23, 2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:40 PM
Find More Posts by acesimmer
As anyone upgraded the FM optic 6 (not sport) to the 2.4 spectra module. I purchased the optic6 along with the 2.4 module. I cannot get them to bind correctly!. Do I need to change some kind of setting on the optic? I want to use it as a buddy trainer and stand alone box for when I go camping and take a long my small bixler. Help appreciated..
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:10 PM
Find More Posts by A.T.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
As anyone upgraded the FM optic 6 (not sport) to the 2.4 spectra module. I purchased the optic6 along with the 2.4 module. I cannot get them to bind correctly!. Do I need to change some kind of setting on the optic? I want to use it as a buddy trainer and stand alone box for when I go camping and take a long my small bixler. Help appreciated..
. Please always start a new thread for new topics.

The Optic 6 does not "bind" to the Spectra Module.
Spectra module simply plugs into socket on reverse of Tx in lieu of the standard HPM-M or synthesised version.
Ensure Optic 6, via system menu (- hold down top left two buttons whilst switching on) is on PPM not QPCM and
although not essential with Spectra Module, preferably to keep standards, "N" shift.

The Spectra is a self contained Rf module has or update firmware version:
Spectra V2.00 for all transceivers V1.01 V1.04(0)
Spectra V3.01 for all Transceivers with V2.02 firmware & essential for Minima receivers (Optimum performance)
For further information, refer to:
Hitec Optic 6 & Optic 6 Sport - Manuals, Tutorial, Comparison Charts, Updates & FAQ

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links (quick search = Ctrl+F)