Jan 01, 2017, 09:19 PM

F-45 Still Flys-2017

Hey John, nice to here from old Oz. Yeah, I've recently stepped up to a Blade 200 srx updated to a 200s, and a stock Blade 230s. Yes, my F-45 is going to get some new servos. I do not know which ones, but I have two Turnigy servo reversers. Here is what the new birds look like, and maybe the rusted F-45 in the background. Remember, it sat on a building for a year, then they called after I told them I lost it. Happy New Year, and yes the F-45 was and still is a blast. I'm even considering a Spektrum Dual esc and receiver, then use the E-flite BL motor and this bird might be fully brushless. Just might have to cut the stock tail blade down to keep the tail from spinning. I wonder how the flybarless system would act on a flybarred heli monster. Oh well, can't find the 230s, but its all stock. I'm gonna finally try to learn collective pitch. I can hover it that's it so far, in beginner mode. F-45 RULES!!!!!!!!
Cheers and Happy New Year!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2018, 03:31 PM
I flew one of my F-45's yesterday & it is still a pain to fly. It makes me remember how hard I tried to learn on it, only to have it break down or burn out a tail motor or fly off in a tree. It does bring back good memories on how I learned to take them apart & modify them to work better over a long period of time. I will continue to bring them out & fly from time to time for nostalgic reasons.
Jan 03, 2019, 08:45 PM

back to my f45 (wild child)

hi all...…….

I have been away from flying helis for several years (long enough to get dropped from the forum) . I used to go by "fishndorkr"and really enjoyed the f45 site . I got side tracked when I got my Harley and put all rc helicopters and planes on hold. Now i'm back to where I just can't stay away(yes it happens!)
So, I ended up purchasing a wl toys v912 and have been flying it for quite some time now. For those who don't know..... the v912 is a very stable and predictable , thus easy to fly heli. I 'm not saying Iv'e conquered it but it's not as challenging as it used to be. That's where the f45 comes in!! ( I call it "wild child" for a good reason). Some may disagree but it has always kept me on my toes and keeps me guessing. That's whats makes it so darn fun. Fast forward...…... a few weeks or so ago, I had a high speed encounter with a tree and toasted the gyro. I found a circuit board (pcb) from one of my Chinese sources and 25 days later I received it and installed it the same day. (sound familiar anyone?) I chose to go to the to the grade school this time where there is lots of real estate and the kiddies are out for xmas break. Well, disappointment soon set in . Everything worked fine Except my range (100m + ) that iv'e had since I owned it, suddenly shrank down to aprox. 35-40 ys after installing this new Ver3 pcb. As everyone knows that is not near enough room to satisfy an f45 !.

I have a question for any f45 survivors...…..has anyone ever experienced loss of range going from Ver2 to the new ver3 pcb ? (the one with the clear standup gyro). My transmitter seems to be working fine and has new bats.

Anyone want to throw out a possible problem?

thanks
Jan 05, 2019, 11:31 AM
A wild guess, did the new pcb come with the antenna on? Sorry if that is too obvious. Steve.
Jan 05, 2019, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsboss
A wild guess, did the new pcb come with the antenna on? Sorry if that is too obvious. Steve.
Hi Steve......No it does not. The circuit board is the same as all previous f45 boards, It only has the printed antenna etched to the bottom of the sandwich board. As far as I know mjx does not have any f45 boards with a wire 2.4 ghz antenna. I would like to find a way to somehow extend the printed antenna by soldering on an extension. I don't know how or where to even do that.

Maybe someone out there can respond if they have done that as a way of extending receiver range on a printed antenna
Jan 06, 2019, 01:20 PM

Antenna

Maybe someone out there can respond if they have done that as a way of extending receiver range on a printed antenna[/QUOTE]

Sorry if i mislead you, i bought a heli in a job lot, and i thought it was an F 45 . Soldered on the board is an antenna 30mm long.
Jan 06, 2019, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deld
hi all...…….

I have been away from flying helis for several years (long enough to get dropped from the forum) . I used to go by "fishndorkr"and really enjoyed the f45 site . I got side tracked when I got my Harley and put all rc helicopters and planes on hold. Now i'm back to where I just can't stay away(yes it happens!)
So, I ended up purchasing a wl toys v912 and have been flying it for quite some time now. For those who don't know..... the v912 is a very stable and predictable , thus easy to fly heli. I 'm not saying Iv'e conquered it but it's not as challenging as it used to be. That's where the f45 comes in!! ( I call it "wild child" for a good reason). Some may disagree but it has always kept me on my toes and keeps me guessing. That's whats makes it so darn fun. Fast forward...…... a few weeks or so ago, I had a high speed encounter with a tree and toasted the gyro. I found a circuit board (pcb) from one of my Chinese sources and 25 days later I received it and installed it the same day. (sound familiar anyone?) I chose to go to the to the grade school this time where there is lots of real estate and the kiddies are out for xmas break. Well, disappointment soon set in . Everything worked fine Except my range (100m + ) that iv'e had since I owned it, suddenly shrank down to aprox. 35-40 ys after installing this new Ver3 pcb. As everyone knows that is not near enough room to satisfy an f45 !.

I have a question for any f45 survivors...…..has anyone ever experienced loss of range going from Ver2 to the new ver3 pcb ? (the one with the clear standup gyro). My transmitter seems to be working fine and has new bats.

Anyone want to throw out a possible problem?

thanks
PROBLEM SOLVED: I took the trnsmitter apart and it had a cold solder joint where the rubber ducky wire attaches to the circuit board. Re-soldered and tested out to 120m (ran out of room). So now good to go!!
Jan 25, 2019, 10:21 AM
I lost my F45 about 4 years ago. Finally broke down and bought a new one. Any still active on here?

I may want to upgrade to Brushless at some point, all the links seem broken, anyone have a good link for parts?
Apr 18, 2019, 01:20 PM
CA...gimme the CA...
Still flying here.

I recently replaced the batteries for my F45 and WLToys v912. I haven't flown the f45 in more than a year (likely somewhat longer), and it's great to get it back in the air.

I've been flying in the cul-de-sac after dark, it's well lit and has a decent circular flying area. I'm getting back into the groove of using very minute stick inputs, I was a bit sloppy the first couple flights but last nite's flight was pretty stable now that I have it trimmed out so that it hovers without drifting. I won't lie and say I'm any good on a heli, I'm just a low level scale flier.

But dang, these guys are fun to fly, even the low level maneuvers I'm doing!

My v912 main rotor doesn't spin though, I'm thinking the motor may be shot. Tail rotor spins normally however. I'll do some troubleshooting this weekend and see what I find.

So yeah...still flying the F45, and it's pretty much stock except for a couple minor mods. I tried the swashplate spring mod, but I could never quite get it to fly properly, and I tried a few different springs...never did find one that worked.

Ric
Apr 18, 2019, 01:25 PM
CA...gimme the CA...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper695
I may want to upgrade to Brushless at some point, all the links seem broken, anyone have a good link for parts?
Found this first link, but I also found a good amount of parts on ebay.

https://www.rc-helicopter-spare-part...er-parts-c-11/

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...&ul_noapp=true
Nov 11, 2019, 12:25 PM
I still have all of my F45's & they still fly, but I have not flown any of them in a long time. Guess its time to get one or two out & give them a whirl around the yard. I left all the battery packs charged @ the storage level, so that should eliminate dead flight packs.

I will report back here & let the board know if they still fly. (They will).

I mostly fly my Blade 250 series heli as it is more controllable & less maintenance.
Nov 11, 2019, 10:42 PM
those old FP elephants, WL V912/3 and FX 067 units also only have one place, on the shelf or in a bin.............
Nov 18, 2019, 07:50 AM
Kiwi_Craig, you are so right. I pulled down one F-45 to find that the tail rotor case was cracked from a prior crash & that one didn't fly. The second one had no batteries in the Tx & the third one looked okay. So I charged it up & went to fly. Bam, Murphy got me & the rear tail rotor would not work. I still have repair parts left over, so the entire boom was changed out & off to go fly.

Not having flown the F-45's for a long time, I quickly remembered how weird they were. The bird flew pretty well for a F-45 for about 4 minutes & then the tail rotor motor failed & she went into a death spin. I got her landed in a soft spot & caused no damage, sooo it was time to put this one back on the shelf with the rest of the F-45's for another year. I can't believe that the new tail rotor failed after one flight.

So out came the Blade 250 for a few battery packs flying like it always does, Great!
Nov 19, 2019, 01:52 AM
Yup blade 250cfx is a good rig, I like mine. Fun bird to fly.
Nov 08, 2020, 11:49 AM
Hello, I would like to ask if it is possible to somehow use F45 (board v2) with OpenTX. Which protocol does it use?

Thank you in advance!

Quick Reply