Nov 19, 2012, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962
Maybe I'm being dumb here, but I've read that a good few people are modding to use a nano-tech 2000mAh battery. Wouldn't that then give you more problems with overheating motors? ... or should the nano-tech only be used with upgraded motors? ... or do the nano-techs give you better performance but the same flight time? Just curious
I picked up an Onyx 2000mah 25c pack which has essentially the same dimensions as the nano-tech packs and am glad I only bought one pack. The performance gain was not significant enough, if any, IMO to warrant a complete changeover from my current 1500mah 20c packs and the modification of the chassis to make them fit properly. This one will sit in the box.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2012, 05:11 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter
I picked up an Onyx 2000mah 25c pack which has essentially the same dimensions as the nano-tech packs and am glad I only bought one pack. The performance gain was not significant enough, if any, IMO to warrant a complete changeover from my current 1500mah 20c packs and the modification of the chassis to make them fit properly. This one will sit in the box.
thanks for that arrowshooter, I'll stay away from that one.

I know that a few people use the nano-tech and I have so far only come across positive reports (haven't had time to read through the whole thread yet... still have to earn a living ) I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had any other experiences, since as far as I can gather, this seems - from by all accounts a very relaible source - to be a "must do" mod.

Any comments gentlemen (or ladies)?
Nov 19, 2012, 05:21 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Interesting results! I have the 2.0 nano-tech and when I was running stock motors I felt I had a longer period where the power remained quite good. In the hot days I could fly for about 4-5m - rest for 10 or so to cool the motors, and fly again and it would be a good second flight. I never did measure temperatures so I can't speak to that directly. I have read that having more available power can reduce the strain on the motor and result in better life and less heat.
Nov 19, 2012, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962
thanks for that arrowshooter, I'll stay away from that one.

I know that a few people use the nano-tech and I have so far only come across positive reports (haven't had time to read through the whole thread yet... still have to earn a living ) I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had any other experiences, since as far as I can gather, this seems - from by all accounts a very relaible source - to be a "must do" mod.

Any comments gentlemen (or ladies)?
Have had good luck with nano-tech 2000mah. Seems to give choppers a more continuous response over the flight time of 8 minutes than stock li-ion batteries. If I understand correctly, that's what li-po batteries are supposed to do. As noted, the 2000mah requires some mods to fit nicely. I will test a supposed 2200mah li-po that is almost the same size as the stock li-ion and report back soon. No mods will be needed for this battery, but I need to verify if it's any good.
Nov 19, 2012, 05:30 PM
I've ordered a 1500mah 3s Nano-tech to replace my 1000mah DLGPower 3s. I debated dropping the PCB/Tail battery to ~300mah but thought heck... if it flies just as nice with the 1500mah nano-tech then the 2 batteries should be fairly well even and I can have more fun since the weather is cold! (and raining today unfortunately)
Nov 19, 2012, 05:48 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiichopper
Have had good luck with nano-tech 2000mah. Seems to give choppers a more continuous response over the flight time of 8 minutes than stock li-ion batteries. If I understand correctly, that's what li-po batteries are supposed to do. As noted, the 2000mah requires some mods to fit nicely. I will test a supposed 2200mah li-po that is almost the same size as the stock li-ion and report back soon. No mods will be needed for this battery, but I need to verify if it's any good.
fun being the guinea pig sometimes, isn't it ?
Nov 19, 2012, 05:49 PM
Brent 黑雁
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless
I've ordered a 1500mah 3s Nano-tech to replace my 1000mah DLGPower 3s. I debated dropping the PCB/Tail battery to ~300mah but thought heck... if it flies just as nice with the 1500mah nano-tech then the 2 batteries should be fairly well even and I can have more fun since the weather is cold! (and raining today unfortunately)
I would stay with the 500mah tail.
I measure the drain on my 1500mah and my 500mah and they are consistant percentage wise so when the 1500 reaches near 11.1 volts, the 500 is close to 7.4 volts. The situation is the same now as well with the brushless tail.
Nov 19, 2012, 06:47 PM
Excellent! That sounds perfect Brent. BTW I have ordered the BL tail motor and ESC with the stuff I need to complete the Armattan quad. I have to order the brushless to brushless converter yet though.
Nov 19, 2012, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Interesting results! I have the 2.0 nano-tech and when I was running stock motors I felt I had a longer period where the power remained quite good. In the hot days I could fly for about 4-5m - rest for 10 or so to cool the motors, and fly again and it would be a good second flight. I never did measure temperatures so I can't speak to that directly. I have read that having more available power can reduce the strain on the motor and result in better life and less heat.
I am basing my decision on using the 2000mah battery in the heli with the Park 370 5400kv motor. This thing has got some serious juice, so I have to really baby the throttle or it will bounce way out of control. Having to be this smooth on the throttle doesn't really allow either the 1500 or 2000 battery to shine. The power is there all the way to 3.4v on the buzzer.

I guess I will also try on the 4100kv Park 370 and the EH200, which I also have in separate F45s.
Nov 19, 2012, 10:20 PM
Quote:
I am basing my decision on using the 2000mah battery in the heli with the Park 370 5400kv motor. This thing has got some serious juice, so I have to really baby the throttle or it will bounce way out of control. Having to be this smooth on the throttle doesn't really allow either the 1500 or 2000 battery to shine. The power is there all the way to 3.4v on the buzzer.

I guess I will also try on the 4100kv Park 370 and the EH200, which I also have in separate F45s.
Which motor do you like best? Are you using the HB blades?
Nov 19, 2012, 10:24 PM
Brent 黑雁
Quote:

I got to say you guys are lucky to have several F45s to play and experiment with. My budget, which I am way way over won't allow my more than one of each so if I break one, it's often down for a while.
So, how do 2 motors compare, the 4100 and the 5400 as far as flying. I am sure my EH200 on 3s would be more comparable to the 5400. Which do you like the best. What is your hover point on each?
Rexless. You type faster than me.
Nov 19, 2012, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Which motor do you like best? Are you using the HB blades?
rexless and BTirsk, as long as I don't let my finger get too "punchy" I like the 5400 the best. I am a power junky from way back and the F45 definitely lets me know when I have gotten in a hurry. What is fun is throwing it into a nice wide sweeping turn and seeing how far these things will really bank over. I do prefer the HB blades with this motor as they smooth things out quite a bit over the stock blades with less tendency to bob.

The 4100kv Park/inrunner and EH200 are about equal as far as top end goes, but getting there has to go to the Park, as it does spin up a little quicker than the EH200. The EH200 is a lot smoother and easier to fly due to the torque of the motor and has zero bobbing (rocking) tendency. The 4100 Park is much the same as it's big brother in that trying to go too fast too quick does bring on the "bobs" but it will settle out quickly. I would have to say the edge does go to the EH200 for overall flyability. For these two motors I do prefer the stock blades over the HB Blades. With the HB blades I did experience lower run times and see below.

Now for the fun. I am going to fly the two 4100's together (yes at the same time) to see if I can get a better side by side comparison. I have already tried it in the backyard and it will work, I just need to adjust the linkages so that they will hover together. One bird wanted to go forward and right and the other backward and left. I did have the HB blades on the EH200 and it did take off at a higher throttle setting. (The other side of my like for the stock blades with these motors.) Both speed controlers start the motors at 10% throttle. Once I get them adjusted together, I will need to be able to get on the field at the big park when the kids are not playing football or soccer so I have lots of room.
Nov 20, 2012, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk
I got to say you guys are lucky to have several F45s to play and experiment with. My budget, which I am way way over won't allow my more than one of each so if I break one, it's often down for a while.
So, how do 2 motors compare, the 4100 and the 5400 as far as flying. I am sure my EH200 on 3s would be more comparable to the 5400. Which do you like the best. What is your hover point on each?
Rexless. You type faster than me.
If you want an F645 I have a few extra I'll sell. I never meant to keep them all!
I work all day every day on the internet. Typing is my life... >_<

Quote:
rexless and BTirsk, as long as I don't let my finger get too "punchy" I like the 5400 the best. I am a power junky from way back and the F45 definitely lets me know when I have gotten in a hurry. What is fun is throwing it into a nice wide sweeping turn and seeing how far these things will really bank over. I do prefer the HB blades with this motor as they smooth things out quite a bit over the stock blades with less tendency to bob.

The 4100kv Park/inrunner and EH200 are about equal as far as top end goes, but getting there has to go to the Park, as it does spin up a little quicker than the EH200. The EH200 is a lot smoother and easier to fly due to the torque of the motor and has zero bobbing (rocking) tendency. The 4100 Park is much the same as it's big brother in that trying to go too fast too quick does bring on the "bobs" but it will settle out quickly. I would have to say the edge does go to the EH200 for overall flyability. For these two motors I do prefer the stock blades over the HB Blades. With the HB blades I did experience lower run times and see below.

Now for the fun. I am going to fly the two 4100's together (yes at the same time) to see if I can get a better side by side comparison. I have already tried it in the backyard and it will work, I just need to adjust the linkages so that they will hover together. One bird wanted to go forward and right and the other backward and left. I did have the HB blades on the EH200 and it did take off at a higher throttle setting. (The other side of my like for the stock blades with these motors.) Both speed controlers start the motors at 10% throttle. Once I get them adjusted together, I will need to be able to get on the field at the big park when the kids are not playing football or soccer so I have lots of room.
That's insane! You are going to video that right? I think that's a killer idea! I'd love to see those wide sweeping turns too. Funny though, there is also a 5000kv version of the EH200 out there. I do like the EH200 w. stock blades on 7.4v. I tried it on 11.1v once and almost lost it when I had to clear a tree and couldn't climb when the blades started flapping. I'm definitely a fan of the HB blades. They really smooth things out!
Nov 20, 2012, 01:18 AM
Quote:
That's insane! You are going to video that right? I think that's a killer idea! I'd love to see those wide sweeping turns too. Funny though, there is also a 5000kv version of the EH200 out there. I do like the EH200 w. stock blades on 7.4v. I tried it on 11.1v once and almost lost it when I had to clear a tree and couldn't climb when the blades started flapping. I'm definitely a fan of the HB blades. They really smooth things out!
Oh, don't think I don't have my out out for one of the 5000 EH200's. I have been on AEO's website, but can't pull out any retailers of their products. They appear to have an online ordering system, but I could not specify the 5000. I also left them a comment, but have not seen a reply.

If I can actually pull off the dual flight, without killing my birds or myself, I will figure out a way to video it for sure.
Nov 20, 2012, 01:29 AM
Quote:

I second the video! That will be a real treat. I have enough on my hands tending to one bird.
Regarding the 2200mah lipo that's the same size as the stock battery, the first test was interesting. It is indeed a li-polymer battery. However, throttle response was very poor. The battery dropped voltage quickly as shown by on-board meter. It became extremely hot after 4 minutes and critical voltage was reached. For comparison, after the motors cooled completely, I ran the chopper with the nanotech 2000mah. It showed the usual quick throttle response and ran well for the normal 8 minutes at which point I stopped. The voltage was still 7.5. Battery not even warm. Will test a couple more times, but so far not impressed. May be a bad battery or possibly it just can't handle the amp load.

Quick Reply