Feb 19, 2012, 01:49 AM
Different fly 4 different guy
Thread OP
Discussion

MJX-F45 Single Rotor FP

I recently purchased an MJX-F45 single rotor, the very first single rotor from Meijiaxin Toys. It is about 21" long and also has a 21" rotor span. I have been a long time fan of the MJX line of helis because IME they have excellent build quality and durability, and good parts support. I also like the configurable tx's. Like all makes, they too are not perfect.

For some reason I seem to prefer non-mainstream helis. While thousands fly an s107, I prefer the MJX-T38 and its recent replacement, the T20. While many fly 4ch such as the 5888, Falcon 8913 and HCW537, I prefer the MJX-F27. The DH9053 is very popular but I prefer the MJX-T23 or now the full 4ch version, the MJX-F39. My hangar also contains NE Solo Pro's 260a and larger 328a.

I know what you're thinking - But I do not work for nor receive any compensation of any kind from Meijiaxin Toy Co. But I am available.

So, anyway, when the big F45 single rotor became available, I had to try one. Cost was about $110 shipped EMS to Canada.

Early impressions are very stable hover, decent power but limited by the 12c Li-ion, slides a bit on fast turns, has familiar fwd on right rudder, rev on left rudder. I am still setting it up to suit my flying style, but maxing out the aileron servo horn adjustment should reduce sliding tendancy a bit.

While waiting for the weather to change, I had been hovering the F45 in my family room and also flying inside a 44' X 14' wash bay. But it really needs to be outside for full enjoyment and less crashes. So even though we had a fresh dump of snow, it was fairly warm, so I took it outside.

The first pic is on the shelf with my HBFP V2 (anyone want to buy it?). They are very close in size but the F45 is extremely easy to hover and fly, and it's pretty fast, too.

Take a look and see what you think.
Last edited by gordonzo; Feb 19, 2012 at 01:59 AM. Reason: add photos
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2012, 12:54 PM
Brent 黑雁
I have been looking as this as well. Where did you order from?
Feb 19, 2012, 03:28 PM
Thread OP
I bought my F45 from Anna here.

You can also get it from Wayne here.

I have ordered successfully from both of these suppliers several times.

It comes in red or green. This one has a lot of potential if you are looking for a larger easy to fly fixed pitch. But the stability of the 45 deg flybar will not prepare you for a cp heli. Parts are already becoming available.
Feb 22, 2012, 02:19 PM
Brent 黑雁
Is your LCD display in English.
I asked that question from them and got 2 different answers.
Feb 28, 2012, 04:58 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
Is your LCD display in English.
I asked that question from them and got 2 different answers.
The LCD is in English. The manual is Chinese but you can download an English version here.

This is a nice heli.
Feb 29, 2012, 06:21 PM
Brent 黑雁
Yes, I finally got that confirmed and have the manual. Mine has been shipped several days ago.
It will give me something to fly till I get parts for 2 others.
Mar 06, 2012, 06:12 PM
Hey gordo, that looks very familiar but I cant place it w/the different canopy paint,almost looks like a DH 9116 or(cant tell the size ) the new DH 9117 4ch FP,sharp looking bird!I I would be interested in your thoughts,a bit pricey maybe?
Mar 06, 2012, 07:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglidec View Post
Hey gordo, that looks very familiar but I cant place it w/the different canopy paint,almost looks like a DH 9116 or(cant tell the size ) the new DH 9117 4ch FP,sharp looking bird!I I would be interested in your thoughts,a bit pricey maybe?
Similar idea but I think the MJX-F45 is much larger than the 9116. And Meijiaxin Toy Co (click for more info) makes their own helis, cars, etc.

I believe the 9116 has a length and rotor span of about 15", and a 7.4V 650mah battery. The info for the 9117 lists the same specs which is likely an error as it looks larger than the 9116, maybe similar size as the F45.

I have never owned a DH but I have many MJX helis, most of which have been good.

My F45 has an actual length of 21" and rotor span also of 21" with a 7.4V 1500mah battery. It cost me about $110 shipped to Canada via EMS.

This is the F45 next to the HBFP.
Mar 06, 2012, 07:40 PM
Would you please post some pics of the heli without the canopy so that we can see it's inner workings and frame, etc. ? Also, where do you get spare parts? I don't see them listed on aliexpress

Thanks
Last edited by hope12839; Mar 06, 2012 at 08:11 PM.
Mar 07, 2012, 12:37 AM
Thread OP

MJX-F45 Under the Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope12839 View Post
Would you please post some pics of the heli without the canopy so that we can see it's inner workings and frame, etc. ? Also, where do you get spare parts? I don't see them listed on aliexpress

Thanks
For parts talk to Anna at Aotop on Aliexpress. Not yet listed but they are available.

Here are some photos with the canopy removed.
Mar 07, 2012, 12:57 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Whats the spare servo connection on the pcb for I wonder? pcb might be recycled from something else in the production line.
Mar 07, 2012, 02:07 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
Whats the spare servo connection on the pcb for I wonder? pcb might be recycled from something else in the production line.
Good eye there sammyc!

This is the very first single rotor ever produced by MJX so I can't see the spare conn. being recycled from something else. I also have the new, large MJX F39 4ch coaxial and the board is totally different on it (no surprise). All of my MJX helis have nicely soldered and tidy pcbs. They all have room for improvement, though (don't they all).

Maybe they are planning on a cp version in the future?

Anyhow, I will get an indoor hovering video up shortly. If the weather cooperates (the snow is melting but the wind is up) I will put up a flight video and some from the onboard video camera.
Mar 07, 2012, 02:23 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Nice, well im looking forward to some videos, looks like a very nice chopper! I would like to see how it stacks up against the new DH9117 too.
Mar 09, 2012, 05:45 AM
New to hobby

Nine Eagles 328a vs. MJX F45

Hi gordonzo,
I see you have plenty of experience with both helis. Can you compare them? How they behave in outdoor flight? You certainly have an experience with sort of other MJX models, are the spare parts available in good quantity and reasonable price? Have you broke something on F45 yet?

I've read this thread about 328a and there are a lot of tweeks to do. Do you find some problems/strange behaviour on F45 as well? There is very few articles about F45.

I have a half a year experience with coaxial 4ch tiny heli, that broke in the middle of the flight several times and the cost of repairs would be twice as high as the purchase, I threw it away. Since than I dream about flying more and more, for about a year now. Well and I like BIG hellis. Thinking about recording video from the heli, I cannot wait to see your videos.

Would you recommend 328a or F45? (considering I have a planty of free space, have a little experience, am very patient person, do not have that much money to buy something around size 450 and want to fly as soon as possible ... the weather in Czech Republic is perfect! )
Mar 09, 2012, 07:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorduza View Post
Hi gordonzo,
I see you have plenty of experience with both helis. Can you compare them? How they behave in outdoor flight? You certainly have an experience with sort of other MJX models, are the spare parts available in good quantity and reasonable price? Have you broke something on F45 yet?

---> I have owned many MJX helis and most have been of good quality. Like all helis, each MJX model has room for improvement. The F45 is new and parts are still a bit hard to find. I have only 10 flights on it. So far I have hovered in my living room and flown carefully in my driveway in max 5-7 km/h breeze.

---> With the 328a I have about 40 flights. It is very easy to fly but in stock form cannot be flown agressively and struggles into a 5 km/h breeze. The canopy is fragile and it needs flybar weight mods (or maybe new Xtreme flybar), blade mods and subtrim changes to be a confident outdoor heli. But modding your heli can be as much fun as flying.

I've read this thread about 328a and there are a lot of tweeks to do. Do you find some problems/strange behaviour on F45 as well? There is very few articles about F45.

---> I don't have enough flight time on it to answer that question yet. But the F45 hovers nicely and moves predictably. This is a big heli and needs a lot of space so I have not had a chance to really open'er up. One thing I have learned is that banked turns in my driveway can only be done at half throttle to avoid hitting my neighbour's pine tree.

---> So far I like what I see. The battery (li-ion) could use more punch but that is common for stock batteries.

---> The 328a is very easy to hover and predictable to fly. If you enjoy easy flying it will suit you fine. I have about 40 flights on mine and regularly take it with me when camping. The flybar is too light for agressive flying but weight mods are available, which takes of that problem, but then you have to be smooth on the sticks to avoid flybar strikes. Xtreme flybars are now available and I will be trying one. The stock batteries are pretty good on this heli but upgrades are also available. Parts are plentiful.

I have a half a year experience with coaxial 4ch tiny heli, that broke in the middle of the flight several times and the cost of repairs would be twice as high as the purchase, I threw it away. Since than I dream about flying more and more, for about a year now. Well and I like BIG hellis. Thinking about recording video from the heli, I cannot wait to see your videos.

----> I have the camera on my F45. Video quality is decent. Camera build quality remains to be seen, however.

Would you recommend 328a or F45? (considering I have a planty of free space, have a little experience, am very patient person, do not have that much money to buy something around size 450 and want to fly as soon as possible ... the weather in Czech Republic is perfect! )
So you say you are patient . . . .

---> If you like big and you have the space to really fly it, you may like the F45. It is actually closer to 300 size with length/rotor span of 21". It flys well and is well priced. I do not have many flights nor hard crashes so I cannot comment on long term durability or agressive flight characteristics. Past experience with MJX tells me it will should be ok.

--> The 328a is much smaller and lighter and therefore more difficult into a 5 km/h breeze in stock form. Blade and subtrim mods can help that as well, though.

---> These are two very different helis, both have potential. With practice, the 328a can be flown indoors and with mods can be flown in smaller outdoor areas. But once the snow is gone and I can get out to the park, I think the big F45 will be a blast.

NOTE: Most fp helis are still very limited in their wind handling ability, regardless of size, and the F45 and 328a are no exception. Also bigger helis have potentially bigger crashes.
Last edited by gordonzo; Mar 09, 2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: more

Quick Reply