Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 18, 2012, 05:54 PM
Question

Wrong Polarity alarm with TP/PQ adapter on 10x charger

I just purchased a 10xp charger. It works fine charging 1 or 2 batteries of 2 or 3 cells with the GP/KO adapter. However whenever I try to use the TP/PQ adapters I get wrong polarity alarms. The alarms occur whether I am trying 1 or 2 channels on either 2 or3 cell packs of Hyperion, Polyquest or Maxamp batteries. I have tried each board on channel 1 alone and get the same results. The charger has connect mode set to FMA

What am I doing wrong?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 20, 2012, 09:01 AM
AR-15 BRD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcturns View Post
I just purchased a 10xp charger. It works fine charging 1 or 2 batteries of 2 or 3 cells with the GP/KO adapter. However whenever I try to use the TP/PQ adapters I get wrong polarity alarms. The alarms occur whether I am trying 1 or 2 channels on either 2 or3 cell packs of Hyperion, Polyquest or Maxamp batteries. I have tried each board on channel 1 alone and get the same results. The charger has connect mode set to FMA

What am I doing wrong?
Hi,

Sounds like you are connecting correct but to make sure, make sure the RJ1 pigtail is always connected to the charger, regardless of the side used TP or PQ. The RJ2 pigtail is only connected for 6S packs and then both pigtails are connected to the charger, RJ1 to channel 1 and RJ2 to channel 2. If you have a multi meter, check each pin starting at the 2S connector and look for continuity out to the pigtail that connects to the charger. It sounds like you may have an open trace on the PCB which will cause this error. Let me know how you make out, thanks.
Feb 23, 2012, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the explanation. I was plugging the RJ2 plug in to Ch 1.
Now that I am plugging RJ1 in Ch1 I can get 1 channel to charge but when when I try to do both channels I get a bad cell count on Ch1, I have used each board by itself in Ch1 OK but as soon as I try 2 channels I get the bad cell count on Ch1
Feb 24, 2012, 09:32 AM
AR-15 BRD!
Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. I was plugging the RJ2 plug in to Ch 1.
Now that I am plugging RJ1 in Ch1 I can get 1 channel to charge but when when I try to do both channels I get a bad cell count on Ch1, I have used each board by itself in Ch1 OK but as soon as I try 2 channels I get the bad cell count on Ch1
Hi,

Are you connecting two seperate packs or is the output connector wired in series? If you are charging using the discharge leads, make sure the pack that is connected to channel one has the discharger leads connected to the black and yellow banana jacks for channel 1 (the first 2 banana jacks on the left) and for channel 2, the yellow and red for channel 2 (the two banana jacks on the right). Also, if you can take a continuity reading between the two yellow banana jacks posts, it should read a closed circuit. If this reads open, the internal fuse is blown and must be replaced. Last, make sure the charger is in the FMA wiring mode and not XH mode. Let me know, thanks.
Last edited by Howard Matos; Feb 24, 2012 at 11:31 AM.
Feb 25, 2012, 07:54 PM
I do get an open circuit reading when I check between the 2 yellow middle jacks. Where is the fuse that is blown. All I find is a 45 amp fuse which appears to be soldered to the circuit board.
Feb 25, 2012, 11:50 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Quote:
I do get an open circuit reading when I check between the 2 yellow middle jacks. Where is the fuse that is blown. All I find is a 45 amp fuse which appears to be soldered to the circuit board.
Hi:

If you wish to replace the internal fuse between the yellow banana jacks, you have to remove the top panel. There is a small 15A black fuse that is soldered between the jacks. If you contact Howard via email at howard@fmadirect.com, he'd be happy to send you a fuse. Or you can use a standard 15A blade auto fuse. Mini blade fits easier if you can locat that. If you don't have decent solder skills, you can contact Howard and arrange to return the unit and he'll fix you up.

This fuse gets blown instantly when you put a battery across the two yellow jacks. This is why there is a skull and crossbones on the top panel silkscreening.

Tim Marks
Feb 27, 2012, 09:09 AM
AR-15 BRD!
Hi,

This should help:

Cellpro 10S Internal fuse...
Mar 01, 2012, 11:16 PM
Found fuses and replaced the blown fuse. Charging 2 batteries at once now. Thanks for all the help
Mar 02, 2012, 09:09 AM
AR-15 BRD!
Hi,

I'm glad you have it working, one less repair for me!
Feb 19, 2017, 04:58 AM

10 x charger

Hello Howard
I have a 10x charger that is not charging properly. The charge starts ok.. ie 2.2a, but then drops back to .3a or so.. Any idea what the problem could be.. ps, I had to re load some pre sets, but cant remember why
Regards
Col
Feb 27, 2017, 09:39 AM
AR-15 BRD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Collyer View Post
Hello Howard
I have a 10x charger that is not charging properly. The charge starts ok.. ie 2.2a, but then drops back to .3a or so.. Any idea what the problem could be.. ps, I had to re load some pre sets, but cant remember why
Regards
Col
Good Day,

What is the cell count of the pack you are charging? What is the specifications of the power supply you are using? Check what you have the current limit set to.

Howard