Feb 18, 2012, 09:52 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Discussion

Butterfly X250 Frame Quick Review/Photos

I've put together a quick mini review and pictures of the Butterfly X250 330mm Shaft Mini QuadCopter Glassfiber Frame from Goodluckbuy for anyone that may have been considering this frame:

http://www.flitelab.com/Reviews/Butt...rOverview.aspx

to remove ads between posts
Feb 20, 2012, 10:24 PM
Dreamer
At least you put the thing together, the right way up ...
Feb 21, 2012, 05:24 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Ya, more than GLB could do it seems. I wouldn't recommend this frame I don't think, too many little issues.
Feb 21, 2012, 05:35 PM
Dreamer
Been looking at the carbon version of the same frame, and I guess at around $40 something dollars, thats not too bad for the carbon alone, even if the hardware is a bit second rate.
Feb 21, 2012, 06:35 PM
"One odd issue is the packaging and components have a very strong oil smell, to the point of giving one a headache. Not sure if this was some issue with the packaging used for ours or a more global issue with how they are packaging and storing this kit. Not a major issue to the frame itself but an annoyance."

that's very interesting.. i noticed the same thing when assembling my x525 frame. it didn't give me a headeche but it was definitely an "oil smell" like you described. I was excited and in a hurry to assemble the copter for a 'mock up' so i didn't bother wiping down the parts with a soapy rag (probably what i should have done) because even after washing my hands someone told me I smelled "foreign" of all things.. lol
Feb 21, 2012, 06:44 PM
Dreamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGsoar
"One odd issue is the packaging and components have a very strong oil smell, to the point of giving one a headache. Not sure if this was some issue with the packaging used for ours or a more global issue with how they are packaging and storing this kit. Not a major issue to the frame itself but an annoyance."

that's very interesting.. i noticed the same thing when assembling my x525 frame. it didn't give me a headeche but it was definitely an "oil smell" like you described. I was excited and in a hurry to assemble the copter for a 'mock up' so i didn't bother wiping down the parts with a soapy rag (probably what i should have done) because even after washing my hands someone told me I smelled "foreign" of all things.. lol
Maybe residue of a lubricant used in the machining process??
Feb 22, 2012, 07:58 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
I have the X525 frame as well and didn't notice the oil smell as bad, with it I think it is just light oil on the bolts which makes sense. I think I found the source of the issue on the Butterfly frame, it is the rubber feet/landing gear. They are off gassing and are extremely strong smelling still. I think I will just remove them and throw them out.
Feb 22, 2012, 07:59 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1104
Been looking at the carbon version of the same frame, and I guess at around $40 something dollars, thats not too bad for the carbon alone, even if the hardware is a bit second rate.
I'm not sure it is really worth it, $40 for a few small CF parts since the hardware isn't that great. I really don't think you need to go that super light on these setups. Most of my micros all hover well under half throttle as is on heavier frames.
Feb 22, 2012, 05:00 PM
saving 20 grams of weight on a quad this size will probably give you 2-3 minutes more flight time with same battery size
Feb 22, 2012, 05:24 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGsoar
saving 20 grams of weight on a quad this size will probably give you 2-3 minutes more flight time with same battery size
Possibly. I've not really timed any of mine yet or worried about long flight tiems so far on the micros.

I'll see if I can do some testing later next week.
Feb 22, 2012, 06:06 PM
I must ask. It says 250mm shaft to shaft why the 330. Is it expandable? from 250mm to 330. Or is it 330 like the rest of world makes measurements. Would you know the motor hole distance.

thank you for making the review.
GM
Last edited by crashpilot1; Feb 22, 2012 at 06:12 PM.
Feb 22, 2012, 06:16 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
I've no clue where they came up with the 330 size, as the actual frame itself isn't even that wide. And in its current form isn't expandable.
Feb 22, 2012, 06:23 PM
Dreamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab
I've no clue where they came up with the 330 size, as the actual frame itself isn't even that wide. And in its current form isn't expandable.
Probably written by the same person that puts their frames together for the pictures ....

At 250mm I guess its more a mini, than a micro.
Feb 22, 2012, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab
Thankyou. What motors are you building with?
Feb 22, 2012, 07:54 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Suppo A1510 2200kv. Here are the motors on a similar sized but heavier frame
DiaLFonZo QuadMini (4 min 8 sec)

Quick Reply