What Transmitter should I get? - RC Groups
Feb 18, 2012, 07:46 AM
Discussion

What Transmitter should I get?

For most people,seeing someone else flying is what drew them to the hobby. Now it may just be the geek in me, but for me it was the first time I saw a Transmitter, or as I called it back then the remote control. When I first saw something like the Spektrum Dx6i with all the switches, nobs, and shiny buttons, I was sold!!! I just knew that any hobby that involved knowing how to work such a complex looking piece of equipment was sooo going to be worth it. So what Tx/Rx should I get is the question????...read more on www.rcslyfly.blogspot.com

Leave question, comments, concern, or just add to the discussion..
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2012, 08:03 AM
I am completely new to RC planes, totally hooked, so I wanted to learn how to use the radio And learn to fly so I have bought a DX6i and Phoenix sim. software.
It is enabling me to get to know the radio, develope some instincts and feel for what to do.
Spent my first two hours with them yesterday, crashed my sim. Cub Many times - saved Alot of money right there, not being a real plane !
So far a VERY good investment.
AND ALOT OF FUN !
Feb 18, 2012, 08:17 AM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
For the "economically impaired".. the best buy is the Turnigy 9X. You get 9 channels to play with and it's packed with plenty of features. If you don't mind sinking several hundred into the hobby, and you plan to stay with it for many years to come, you can consider the JR X9503 also 9 channels, but it's more "pro class" than the Turnigy or even a DX6i for that matter. It all depends on how much your budget will allow.

The radio is the most important part of your RC equipment. It's what limits you, or allows you, to go as far as you want in the hobby. I see people impulse buy a DX5 and then 6 months later, a DX6i, and then 6 months later they want a X9503. You waste so much extra money on constant radio upgrades in a matter of a year.

The best thing to do, is listen to what all the people here tell you. After you get some suggestions and opinions, THEN go out and get ONE radio that will suit your needs for the hobby, on a more long term scale. You're still going to want a better radio later on, but at least you won't be buying another radio every 6 months.

Me, I started out on FM with a 6 channel tower hobbies radio, and used it for 2 years. From there, I switched over to my trusty DX7, which i've been using for the past 3 years. It works GREAT, it's reliable and it suits my needs for everything I currently fly.

Now i'm gaining interest in sailplanes and DSing (dynamic soaring), so i'm ultimately going to need "more radio" for that type of flying. So i'm planning wisely and my choice is almost surely going to be the JR X9503.
Feb 18, 2012, 09:58 AM
Great advice, that was my conclusion as well...I ended up get a 9x model receiver, the FS-TH9x...from HobbyPartz.com...because HK as usually was completely sold out of the Turnigy, plus i didnt feel like waiting forever for my shipment..Tim, keep up the good work, keep working on the sim...it only takes a few times and you'll get the hang of it...Thanks for checking out the blog...keep the comments going
Feb 18, 2012, 10:07 AM
Suspended Account
When I started in the hobby back in Nov, I had the same question. I went with the Flysky Th9x. Its the same as the Turnigy 9x. The 9x Tx is a great buy if you dont have hundreds to spend. The 9x can be had for $90 from hobbypartz if you dont want to wait a month or longer to get one from HK.
Once you have the 9x, with about $50-$100 more, you can turn it into a Tx that will rival the ones from the big boys. I flashed the Er9x FW using the smartieparts pogo board which makes the process plug and play (no soldering).
With the Er9x FW, you can slow down servos for flaps, you can delay servos for landing gears, programming mixes are super easy, every single switch can be program to anything plus a whole lot more.
You can add the Frysky module for telemetry and added range which I'm in the process of doing and this can all be done for about $100.

A lot of people will say that the 9x is garbage (because its so cheap). I fly 1200mm-1400mm planes and I've never had a problem with any of them. Rxs are cheap. $9 for 6 ch and $13 for 8 ch.
Feb 18, 2012, 10:11 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejayslyfly
Great advice, that was my conclusion as well...I ended up get a 9x model receiver, the FS-TH9x...from HobbyPartz.com...because HK as usually was completely sold out of the Turnigy, plus i didnt feel like waiting forever for my shipment..Tim, keep up the good work, keep working on the sim...it only takes a few times and you'll get the hang of it...Thanks for checking out the blog...keep the comments going
You posted right when I was typing. Good to know you got the 9x. You will love it. Make sure you check out 9xforums.com