Aug 07, 2012, 08:52 AM
3D Wannabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter24
Thanks garytcl . Will the 2200 not balance it then. Also any ideas on a spinner. Gonna use carbon rod and ball links for the control services. When i sort out what size i need.
2200mAh will balance perfectly. You just need to push them forward a bit.

As for the spinner, I'm using HobbyKing's 51mm nylon spinner. Looks and works great.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=22470

I'm sure any other 50-55mm spinner for electric props would work just fine.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2012, 08:57 AM
www.scotiarc.co.uk - OMP Helis
I use a 4s 2200mAh (Gens Ace @ 250g) and it balances ok but the battery does have to slide partly into the motor box.

It much depends on what motor you use and what servos you put in the tail. I have two 16g servos in the back and a 175g motor up front. If you went lighter on the motor and/or heavier on the servos you would have problem balancing with the 2200mAh battery.
Aug 07, 2012, 10:13 AM
Where's my orange kool-aid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS
Better even... Especially if you get a chance to drive the toyota LFA. But I se he mentioned the 48" aj and that is a game changer. 48" Aj for sure over the hk and aj 42" slick.
lol... I wouldn't know the difference if I test drive the LFA... unless I also get to test drive a Ferrari
Last edited by xzuberance; Aug 07, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
Aug 07, 2012, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
I mentioned that my HK Slick had become something of a hanger queen this is due to one reason; the relatively tricky post stall handling.
There was speculation a while back about why the HK Slick is prone to wing drop out of harrier when planes from the likes of EF and 3DHS are a lot more harrier friendly. My personal theory is that the shape of the wing airfoil is the issue; the HK Slick has a very sharp leading edge at the root but the leading edge is far more rounded at the tip. This is old school wisdom to prevent tip stall, however the modern trend with 3D planes is a sharp leading edge root to tip so that the wing has a more definite stall, and once stalled stays stalled, this improves post stall stability.

So i decided to do something to see if my theory was right......

Here's the tip airfoil of the HK Slick:

And here is the SFG of a EF Edge EXP to show how the LE of the Edge is far sharper:

So I did some woodworking:

Template to shape new LE:

New LE vs. original airfoil:

Finished:

So i'll let you know what difference it makes, if any, fingers crossed

Steve
Am keen to see if your theory checks out, though wouldn't the fact everyone is only experiencing a left wing drop (I don't remember anyone saying they have experienced a right wing drop) suggest that the issue is more to do with a variance in the way the left and right wings are constructed? If the issue is with airfoil, I would expect the wing drop problem to be consistent also (ie. you'd expect some to experience wing drop on the right wing also)? I'm no engineer but this is my uneducated guess... Anyway, am keen to hear of your test results.
Aug 07, 2012, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX
I just spent the last our reading the posts since friday.....and jees.Why don't we rename this thread to EF vs 3dhs vs HK....Sure some valid points were made,but I really have still not ad that "terrible" wing rock and wing drop"...
Steve I'm interested in your conversion to see what it does.No offense to anyone but the last 3 pages have been completely OT!
Calm down Chops
TBH, I don't think we can ever do a fair EF vs 3DHS vs PA vs HK assessment. They all fly differently, each with their own strenghts and weaknesses. That was the point I was trying to make earlier. As much as I (and I believe everyone) would like, you can't pay $100 for an airplane and expect it to perform as good, if not better than a $200 airframe. The better planes will generally always fetch a premium simply because they are better. That doesn't mean the el cheapos suck... They can be good, but I wouldn't say you can necessarily equate them to the top frames... you got your KMX yet?
Aug 07, 2012, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzuberance
Am keen to see if your theory checks out, though wouldn't the fact everyone is only experiencing a left wing drop (I don't remember anyone saying they have experienced a right wing drop) suggest that the issue is more to do with a variance in the way the left and right wings are constructed?
It was a right wing drop out of harrier that caused the crash I had with my HK Slick. The wings appeared to be identical in every way and lateral balance was vary close. The model also trims out without any aileron correction which indicates that the wings are warp free.

I was all set to test my modified leading edge today but the rain has been coming down in torrents all day, pretty much the story of the whole 'summer' in these parts
Aug 07, 2012, 02:57 PM
the monsoon eased off so i got out and put 5 batteries through the Slick.

Bad news is it still wing rocks like crazy but at least it didn't ever look like dropping a wing uncontrollably. The rock remained controllable with aileron and someone with finer tunes skills than mine might have been able to hold it steady. Having said that my meagre skills are good enough to harrier the extreme Flight Edge and laser EXP without any rock at all, and my PA Ultimate AMR rocks a bit but I can hold it. The Slick much harder work to harrier than any of my other models.. But like I said, it never dropped a wing completely, which it did do before the mod.

Flying the Slick again reminded me what I liked about the model. It slows up real nice without any nasty habits, and it's very smooth and precise in flight great for pattern aerobatics or just tooling around, it really is a nice model to fly and it looks great in the air.

I've got another idea I want to try out to reduce the rock, watch this space.

Video if one of the flights is uploading, I'll post when it's complete.

Steve
Aug 07, 2012, 03:25 PM
how'd I do that....oh
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzuberance
Calm down Chops
TBH, I don't think we can ever do a fair EF vs 3DHS vs PA vs HK assessment. They all fly differently, each with their own strenghts and weaknesses. That was the point I was trying to make earlier. As much as I (and I believe everyone) would like, you can't pay $100 for an airplane and expect it to perform as good, if not better than a $200 airframe. The better planes will generally always fetch a premium simply because they are better. That doesn't mean the el cheapos suck... They can be good, but I wouldn't say you can necessarily equate them to the top frames... you got your KMX yet?
I completely agree with you.I just don't think that the bashing the HK Slick has received has been fair.I and many other people say it's well worth the money
I'm cool as a raindeer
no the KMX will only be released early Sept.but putting some $$$ away for it.will be for xmas though.to me,for me,by me so still a while before I get my hands on one.Seriously CAN'T wait!
I wanna make some vid this wkd.well that's if this darn weather calms down.We had snow todayhasn't snowed where i stay since '89 so the weather is all crazy
Steve So what's the n"other" idea?
I'm still going to get some VG's for mine from PA
Aug 07, 2012, 03:30 PM
how'd I do that....oh
Oh a q I've been meaning to ask.but more or less,at what sort of AOA are u guys flying?
Aug 07, 2012, 04:45 PM
ok here's the video, all comments welcome other than "your flying sucks".. I've got feelings!
HK Slick 'a-rockin' (6 min 49 sec)
Aug 07, 2012, 04:52 PM
Santi
That could be the best video to show exactly what we've been talking about the whole time. Your skills aren't that bad considering you could keep it low like that with all that rock going on! Nice video!
Aug 07, 2012, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D
That could be the best video to show exactly what we've been talking about the whole time. Your skills aren't that bad considering you could keep it low like that with all that rock going on! Nice video!
thanks.. My thumbs were working over time. I've tried leaving it to settle on it's own and I tried fighting the rock with aileron. Fighting it worked the best, the rock just seems to amplify if left to it's own devices. It's actually good harrier practice but a lot harder work than my EF models. I've found that keeping it low as possible is better as it does less damage when I get it wrong.
Aug 07, 2012, 08:26 PM
3D Wannabe
Wow! That was pretty impressive! However, the mystery remains: What's causing the wing rock???
Aug 08, 2012, 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
ok here's the video, all comments welcome other than "your flying sucks".. I've got feelings!
I've been mostly lurking here. Looks like a nice plane. But I do have an AJ Slick 51 that doesn't rock like that for sure! Would a gyro on the ailerons be a cheap fix? The rocking is slow enough a gyro could easily keep up. I know it is usually considered cheating but this plane has potential and that rock looks like it could be damped out pretty easily.
Aug 08, 2012, 02:56 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq
I've been mostly lurking here. Looks like a nice plane. But I do have an AJ Slick 51 that doesn't rock like that for sure! Would a gyro on the ailerons be a cheap fix? The rocking is slow enough a gyro could easily keep up. I know it is usually considered cheating but this plane has potential and that rock looks like it could be damped out pretty easily.
hahahahahhahaha.NO!!!!!and Steve has found out the hard way that gyro only makes it worse and will surely cause a crash.think what that darn thing will want to do in KE spin or a blender or poptop.......I don't want to go into the whole gyro thing again and offend people by my thoughts on using a gyro in a plane....so I'll zip ithehehehe

Quick Reply