Feb 20, 2012, 10:11 PM
They Call him Dead!
No, something is wrong. With that motor and that prop you should be getting at least 50 amps....
to remove ads between posts
Feb 20, 2012, 10:26 PM
RC Pilot / Photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead
No, something is wrong. With that motor and that prop you should be getting at least 50 amps....
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickg66
** on a side note, I did have to send a 3620-480 back to Ken to get rewound, after it was running 50kv below specs. He fixed me up and shipped it back inside a week though, so I'm still a loyal customer! **
If this is his first time running up the motor, there is a chance that it wasn't wound up to specs, in which case Ken will test it and rewind if necessary. He stands behind his stuff!

From what others have told me regarding Motrolfly motors, ESC should be set for high timing and 16pwm.
Feb 20, 2012, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo ea6b
Being the guy who does the video taping for MW, and some of the building of the planes you all have seen on these videos, there is NOTHING retouched, over-edited, fixed or more original than what you see. I'm the one standing there, watching all these maneuvers in the viewfinder, as the plane is, out of the box!
I know all the other guys who build the planes, they all build them EXACTLY as they are instructed by the build information provided, and I will swear on my retired military Officer integrity that the flight sequences are exactly what the plane can and does do!
There are planes that fly better than some others, but what you see and have seen is what you get!
I hope this quiets any non-believers or naysayers about what these planes can and do out of the box! MW just flies them to his limits, which I see routinely and are exceptional to say the least.
Agreed... I have seen a lot of posts on this... I've watched the shooting...And people saying planes won't do what they saw...
Feb 20, 2012, 10:59 PM
Just flitting about!!
OK. I got it from the local Motrofly agent RC models.

They claim these are the exact same off the shelf motor as ken.

Unfortunately when I tried to measure my rpm with my hand held tacko it peaked at 2250rpm on 2 blade setting. POS....

OK, I ran it on both Plush 40A and also K force100amp esc in case it was the speedy limiting its output. Almost the same numbers.

I also have the 2820-950kv motor, so I bolted it up to the same prop "vox 14x7' and tested it on 3s and got 59A and 690 watts peak. This was on my plush 40A speedy so assume the esc in this case limited the output a bit.

I suspect its not the kv they claim. The dealer actually tells me it is wound to 726kV, but by the sounds of it and the amps it must be wound below 650kV as it seems like the numbers that Tom Kitt is generating on his custom wind motor.

Also the lipo is brand new Turnigy 40C 4s2650mA.

Three cycles on the lipos through the charge to break them in, I was measuring well over 15.5V through the testing.
Feb 20, 2012, 11:03 PM
OOPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickg66
If this is his first time running up the motor, there is a chance that it wasn't wound up to specs, in which case Ken will test it and rewind if necessary. He stands behind his stuff!

From what others have told me regarding Motrolfly motors, ESC should be set for high timing and 16pwm.
8PWM.
timing I use is around medium.12 ish I think.Will have to find my notes somewhere..8pwm tho I'm sure of for motrolfly. if it works ok on your settings tho rock on.
Feb 21, 2012, 02:00 AM
Just flitting about!!
Thing of beuty.

Ready to maiden tomorrow.

Still not getting the kick out of the motor I was looking for but I'll play around with timing and PWM settings and see if it gives me more.
Feb 21, 2012, 02:12 AM
Shore Huckin'
BR,

Nice build.

You're going to video the maiden, right?
Feb 21, 2012, 03:56 AM
Where's my orange kool-aid?
Sorry for going off topic. Just wondering what are people's thoughts about the HK v3 edge 540 as compared to the slick? Is the new style wing profile any good for 3d? I know some of the pilots who fly the new style edge in the red bull races have said the new wing reduces drag in tight turns. I suppose this is useful for pattern stuff but not for post stall flight?
Last edited by xzuberance; Feb 21, 2012 at 04:07 AM.
Feb 21, 2012, 05:02 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Subscribed and ordered!!!!!can't wait to take delivery of this babe.JEES shipping is just lank to SA $145 $30 more than the plane,but I'm sure still so worth it I think.i thought long and hard between the Slick and the Domi-8-Trix and after much thought and watching vids I believe this is the best quality plane to get.Just a quick Q,is the slick on the side of the fuse a sticker?or printed on the covering?
Feb 21, 2012, 07:27 AM
www.scotiarc.co.uk - OMP Helis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger
Still not getting the kick out of the motor I was looking for but I'll play around with timing and PWM settings and see if it gives me more.
there is certainly somethingwrong as you should be just about melting the motor with a 14x7 VOX.

Bare in mind that the Motrolfly DM2820/750 has been produced with three different winings.. the older motors were 638kv, then they were wound to 680kv, and only since Novemebre or December 2011 have they been produced in the (approx) 720kv winding. Seems to me that you probably have one of the older versions.

With a 14x7 APC my 720kv motor just breaks 1kW (1012W) on a 4s Gens Ace battery, that's peaking at 66Amps and 3.5Kg of thrust. A Xoar is even more power but really getting into melt down territory for the motor IMHO.

Having said that.. the ESC you are using can make a big difference, smaller ESC's (and some brands in general) have higher internal resistance and so limit power. I got a increase in Watts of about 150 just by going from a 50A Castle Ice to a 60A ZTW. I'd highly recommend the ZTW ESC, cheap, compact, lightweight and very low resistance (ZTW are also badged Black Mantis and Mystery)
Feb 21, 2012, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE Spin
BR, I just looked up the specs and they say you could expect 710watts max.
Specs on the Subsonic web site (if that's what you were looking at) for the Motrolfly 2820/750 motor are for the older 638kv winding, the later motors are MUCH hotter... or at least should be
Last edited by Smoggie; Feb 21, 2012 at 07:45 AM.
Feb 21, 2012, 07:37 AM
I have found the same thing with the ZTW esc's as well. Generally compared to a typical economy esc the ZTW will have a lower resistance and will boost performance. The only direct comparison's I can attest to are with Turnigy Plush, EMax, and some other cheap one I have that I don't remember the name of. And the reliability of the ZTW has been perfect, at least with the half dozen I have been using for the last couple years. The only thing I wished they would do is make the batt wires about an inch longer, not a deal breaker though.
Feb 21, 2012, 07:43 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
Hi JetPlaneFlyer

Do you know where in the UK you can get these motors - or is it strictly ship from US??
Feb 21, 2012, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Bat
Hi JetPlaneFlyer

Do you know where in the UK you can get these motors - or is it strictly ship from US??
That's a hard one.. There is a dealer in France that sells the same motors under the name 'Pro-Tronik'.. They are basically the same motors made in the same production line as the Motrolfly but anodised green! The problem with them is that you wont know what kv version you will get, the Frech dealer still list it as 638kv on the web site but what it is in reality is pure guesswork.

Second problem in the motor comes in two mounting types. The type Subsonic in the USA sell is the bolt on prop adapeter version, the type sold in the French dealer is a shaft and collet version which makes the motor too long for the Slick. Maybe if you send the dealer and email they could clarify if they can supply the bolt on adapter version, and the kv question, but language may be a problem unless you have good French?

PM me if you want a link to the French dealer.

I'd highly recommend getting a motor from Subsonic, their customer service and expertise is second to non, but they wont ship to Europe So you have to have a friend in the US to forward it on.

Steve
Feb 21, 2012, 08:04 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
Many Thanks JPF - I have managed to get a dealer page up for the Pro Tronik motors....No UK though

I will ping some of them an email -

Quick Reply