Feb 17, 2012, 05:55 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Thread OP
Discussion

Indoorheli mCP X canopies

As many of you may or may not know, I have been working on creating a production worthy mCP X canopy for some time, but just couldn’t muster up the time to refine and complete my vision. Well, I’ve been hashing away at perfecting the mold and production process, and I believe I’ve developed a worthwhile procedure.

With that said, I think the time has finally come to pull the trigger on a production run of “indoorheli” mCP X canopies. Over the last several months I have received countless inquiries regarding my canopies, so I would like to ‘officially’ gauge interest to see just how many people would be interested.

For this initial run, the canopy will be clear, and rough cut like the ones shown in the images below. You will also need to place the canopy-pin holes in the location of your liking, which is described and demonstrated in the following video.

http://youtu.be/PZo9RSOyJRY?hd=1

If there is enough interest, and this production run goes off without a hitch, there is certainly the potential of more canopy styles and models in the future. The Mini CP and Genius CP immediately come to mind, but others would also be considered.

ShaneXman and I will be partnering on this, so please direct questions or comments to him as well. You can also post within this thread, and one of us will respond. Let’s get this ball rollin’!

Pricing:
1 canopy - $10
2 canopies - $19
3 canopies - $27
4 canopies - $34
5 canopies - $40
Limit - 5 canopies

+ Flat Rate USPS
Last edited by indoorheli; Feb 19, 2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: updated
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2012, 05:55 PM
Coaxial to CP? *shrugs*
What’s going on everyone? I just wanted to post up to say “hello” and let you know that as indoorheli said, I will be partnering with him on this project to facilitate the customer service and communication side of everything.

Please feel free to post up, and we would be more than happy to answer your questions. Additionally, if you have any feedback or suggestions, we’re all ears!

Who's In?!?

Official "Interested" List:
1] airheli1201 (1)
2] Butters (1-2)
3] SYMAWD (1)
4] Montag DP (1)
5] chimchim (2)
6] ZiggeyFreud (5)
7] stevebarrow (HF 1)
8] dudeinmrytlebeach (HF 2)
9] jim_stoll (HF 1)
10] Dilatory (2)
11] trexxman (HF 2)
12] goatkeeper (HF 2)
13] dna001 (HF 1-2)
14] spunjah413 (HF 2)
15] TurboRacer 1
16] tntburnett (HF 2)
17] Nytflyer (2)
18] astrorobb (HF 3)
19] MichiganFlyer (HF 1-2)
20] MikeMT (HF 2)
21] Mauilvr (2)
22] decompyler (2)
23] new bee (2)
24] muttonboy (2)
25] bigtim2001 (HF 2)
26] f.a.r.m.e.r (2)
27] Moleculo (2)
28] BRAND X (4)
29]
30]

Cheers!

-Shane
Last edited by ShaneXman; Mar 18, 2012 at 06:46 PM.
Feb 17, 2012, 06:00 PM
if the price is right count me in on the interest list!
Feb 17, 2012, 06:25 PM
Agreed at the right price I'll buy one or two!

James
Feb 17, 2012, 07:00 PM
Coaxial to CP? *shrugs*
Quote:
Originally Posted by airheli1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters

James
Sorry guys...

Here's the Pricing:
1 canopy - $10
2 canopies - $19
3 canopies - $27
4 canopies - $34
5 canopies - $40
Limit - 5 canopies

+ Flat Rate USPS

-Shane
Feb 17, 2012, 07:31 PM
I am in for one. Put me on the list.
Feb 17, 2012, 08:24 PM
Sink stinks
I'd like one too.
Feb 17, 2012, 09:40 PM
I'm in, where do I sign?

-Steve
Feb 17, 2012, 11:47 PM
Coaxial to CP? *shrugs*
Quote:
Originally Posted by airheli1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters

James
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMAWD
I am in for one. Put me on the list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP
I'd like one too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimchim
I'm in, where do I sign?

-Steve
Added you guys to the list. Thanks!

-Shane
Feb 18, 2012, 12:02 AM
UAV Flight Operations Manager
Will this canopy be more durable than the stock one?
Feb 18, 2012, 01:03 AM
Cranky old fart
Will they fit the Walkera Genius? It really needs a better canopy.
Feb 18, 2012, 10:56 AM
Wow! Nice!

I have a few questions:

What is it made of? Will the pactra style paints bond well with it? What would we use to clean them before painting?

You mention in the video that grommets aren't required if the canopy pin holes are small enough... I see the potential for vibration issues with high power brushless mods if you go this route.

If pactra or tamiya paints will bond with the material, I'm in for 2

Thanks for all the hard work. It's really paid off!!
Feb 18, 2012, 12:10 PM
Coaxial to CP? *shrugs*
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthyy
Will this canopy be more durable than the stock one?
Yes, this canopy will be more durable than the stock one, and it will also be more resilient to cracking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14
Will they fit the Walkera Genius? It really needs a better canopy.
Unfortunately, no. These canopies are specifically designed for the mCP X frame. The Genius and Mini CP both have a much lower stance and resting height, so they will require an entirely different design.

If all goes well, we will expand into different styles and models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeInMyrtleBch
Wow! Nice!

I have a few questions:

What is it made of? Will the pactra style paints bond well with it? What would we use to clean them before painting?

You mention in the video that grommets aren't required if the canopy pin holes are small enough... I see the potential for vibration issues with high power brushless mods if you go this route.

If pactra or tamiya paints will bond with the material, I'm in for 2

Thanks for all the hard work. It's really paid off!!
The current canopies are being made with PETG, but we plan to continue exploring other plastics such as HDPE and polycarbonate/lexan.

Although we've never used Pactra style paints specifically, from what I have read, Pactra is specifically formulated to bond with lexan so it should work great. Right now we use Krylon Fusion and it works great.

Prep is just a matter of washing with dish soap to remove any grease, dirt or impurities, but be sure to rinse the soap off thoroughly. If you wanted to take it one step further, you can lightly sand the painting surface with 400 grit sandpaper. This will give the plastic a light haze, and give the paint a bit more "bite"...and the end result will be a high gloss durable finish.

Regarding your vibration question, we have yet to see ANY vibration issues whatsoever. These canopies were designed to fit snuggly against the battery tray and landing gear to avoid any unwanted feedback or vibration.

Here are a few 3D videos with the canopy installed...

Mcpx Bathroom Flight (2 min 0 sec)

Brushless mcpx warehouse flight (3 min 2 sec)

-Shane
Feb 18, 2012, 02:01 PM

I can't believe...

you left out the LED's !!

jk, beautiful job, count me in but i am going to need really specific assitance with how/what/where to paint, never having attempted it to date. And shipping of course is going to make them very dear to me(as we both know )

i'm a little late down the list, of course wanted to be # 1 but please add me Shane.

Cheers, Bill
Feb 18, 2012, 02:09 PM
Great control Shane

How much is the shipping for two of them in the US?

Quick Reply