This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 09, 2018, 11:38 PM
ancora imparo
The HobbyEagle behaviour may be a fault. If the output pulse from the receiver to the stab input exceeds +/- 130% Spektrum (1500 +/- 520uS) it looks like a register overflows or something and the stabilizer servo output pulse defaults to neutral. It shouldn't do that.

Not seen this behaviour on a Guardian.
Last edited by jj604; Oct 09, 2018 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Fixed pulse width typo
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2018, 06:08 AM
By the way, what is “us?” I know it’s the way to measure the amount the servo travels but what’s that odd backwards “U” and s actually a symbol for? I want to read up on that some but don’t even know what it’s called to google it?
Oct 12, 2018, 06:15 AM
uS= micro seconds...
Oct 12, 2018, 06:15 AM
ancora imparo
uS is as close as we get to "micro seconds" with standard text.
1 micro second = 1/1000 milli second = 1/1000 second.

So 1 uS is one millionth of a second.

The standard Greek mathematical symbol for "micro" is shown in the attached picture but most fonts will not reproduce that and it depends entirely on the computer/device you are using so uS is safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwind1124
By the way, what is us? I know its the way to measure the amount the servo travels but whats that odd backwards U and s actually a symbol for? I want to read up on that some but dont even know what its called to google it?
Last edited by jj604; Oct 12, 2018 at 06:21 AM.
Oct 12, 2018, 11:39 AM

Guardian does not pass through Dual-Rate

I have finally moved a 4 year old Guardian to a full-house sailplane (6 servos and electric launch). Once the G is switched on in 2D or 3D the servo throw is 100% not the 60% (D/R)needed on Elevator. Flying stabs only require small deflections which has been achieved using mechanical and D/R settings. The very excellent New Users Guide states that D/R should function normally. It does not in this setup.
No PC setup has been done as it already is installed in the very tight space of a sailplane(ALES/F5G type). Can servo throw be limited by changing the G configuration so that stab deflection is reduced?
The EagleTree app for the Data Recorder and Vario has been used for about 8 years and is current. Is the configuration of the G done using the app called R/C Data Recorder version 10.69? That is what downloaded from the EagleTree site. I understood it to be for all devices not just the Data Recorder.

Ray
Oct 12, 2018, 12:37 PM
Rick
On Windows computers is not hard to get the micro symbol. I use it when I'm writing from home. For the last week I've been traveling and while working from my phone I don't know how to access the special symbols. In any case here are a few useful symbols:

Alt-0181 micro
Alt-0176 degrees
Alt-0177 plus or minus

Some others:

Alt-0188
Alt-0189
Alt-0190
Alt-0247 divide
Alt-0178 squared
Alt-0179 cubed
Alt-0149 • bullet
Alt-9 ○ bullet

Some without shortcuts, but can be copied from here:

Ω

π

Just hold the Alt key while typing the digits, when you let go the character will appear. The Character Map is in Windows Accessories and has thousands of obscure symbols that can be inserted. Some have shortcuts like these but many need to be cut and pasted. Mac and Linux have similar but different methods.

As others have shown, the seconds notation "S" should be capitalized. I'm usually lazy on that one and besides, I prefer the look of s versus S.
Last edited by choochoo22; Oct 12, 2018 at 03:36 PM.
Oct 12, 2018, 01:52 PM
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymey
....The very excellent New Users Guide states that D/R should function normally. It does not in this setup....
Does any of this sound like what you are seeing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by New User's Guide (FAQs)

• Dual Rates don’t seem to work in 3D?
• I’m seeing more throw with 3D on than off?
•There is a dead band near the end of my stick movement, the surfaces stop moving?

There is an illusion that occurs on the ground in 3D that can make it look like you have more throw in 3D than
off, can make it look like dual rates aren't working, can make it look like there is a dead band of no surface
motion near the end of your stick travel. If you are noticing one of these symptoms you probably have all three if
you observe carefully. Don't bother, it's perfectly normal and is not representative of what happens in flight.
This is a symptom of the direct-rate feature. Direct rate tries to translate 100% stick throw into 100% of the roll
rate you have set on the 3D page. It can't succeed on the ground because the plane is stationary, but in trying to
do so it moves the ailerons more aggressively and runs out of travel before you run out of stick. This makes it
look like you have a higher rate with G on than off and creates the dead band after the travel runs out. Ignore
this. It won't behave this way in the air where the plane is responding. If you want to prove this to yourself, turn
off direct-rate and see if the symptom you are seeing goes away. Don't leave it off, however, or your roll rate
may suffer. (More on direct rate in the “Supplemental Information” section)
Quote:
....Is the configuration of the G done using the app called R/C Data Recorder version 10.69? That is what downloaded from the EagleTree site. I understood it to be for all devices not just the Data Recorder....
Yes. I believe it covers everything except the Vector line.
Last edited by choochoo22; Oct 12, 2018 at 04:52 PM.
Oct 12, 2018, 04:21 PM
Hi I've just bought a second hand Guardian, maybe someone can help. When I set up level gyro via a switch toggle my surfaces twitch but only one of each? So one aileron and one elevator. This is on a vtail( mini talon) Is this usual? Thanks in advance.
Oct 12, 2018, 04:47 PM
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwiseman
Hi I've just bought a second hand Guardian, maybe someone can help. When I set up level gyro via a switch toggle my surfaces twitch but only one of each? So one aileron and one elevator. This is on a vtail( mini talon) Is this usual? Thanks in advance.
Yes. Only the aileron and elevator channels twitch.
Oct 13, 2018, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22
Yes. Only the aileron and elevator channels twitch.
But only one aileron and one elevator?, the other two don't move.
Oct 13, 2018, 11:59 AM
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwiseman
But only one aileron and one elevator?, the other two don't move.
I should have been more clear. The rudder and auxiliary channels don't twitch.
Oct 13, 2018, 02:20 PM
Quote:
I have finally moved a 4 year old Guardian to a full-house sailplane (6 servos and electric launch).

Ray

Ray, out of curiosity... what do you expect to achieve by using a flight stabilization system in a full-house sailplane?

Carlos.
Oct 13, 2018, 03:31 PM
Ah that makes sense. Thank you.
Oct 13, 2018, 04:49 PM
Another question. I want to try just the 2d mode to start, I have the guardian on a two position switch( Taranis x9d) I have dual rates on another. When the guardian is off I get the expected behavior from the rate switch but when I turn the 2d mode on the rates switch hardly seems to effect the surface deflection, its like no rates at all? How do I adjust this? Thanks in advance.
Oct 13, 2018, 05:00 PM

Full House sail plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by czorzella
Ray, out of curiosity... what do you expect to achieve by using a flight stabilization system in a full-house sailplane?

Carlos.
For me , I need wing level . the one plane I have has NO Dihed and if I get it tooo high[ as I did a couple of times] , lost orientation and down she came

but with enuff altitude , was able to git her under control. I was a bit shaken over those events and had to bring her and land , to git over the shakes

Quick Reply