This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 11, 2018, 02:25 PM
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGIVEUP1
Thanks for the reply.
I knew that it was still functional from post crash testing. I got a new replacement and put this one on the shelf for a couple of years. Appreciate the memory jog. It will still be in my (Your) suggested initial setup with the level, nose high, and should answer my 2D-Off-3D switch commands. It was reversing the channel response that stalled me. TURN THE POTS !!!
Testing 1-2-3
Cheers
DUCK
You can still adjust the level and trim settings with gestures. Without USB, the most importan't thing you can't do is change the mode assignments. If it was working to your liking in the last installation it will probably work fine in the next. Assuming, of course, that neither used any of the less common settings that are only in the PC app like limits or servo frequency.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2018, 06:14 PM
Mach One
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement shroud or outer skin for the G?
Thanks
Anyone?
Sep 11, 2018, 06:56 PM
Out of the Past
Just get some right size shrink tube. Put a piece of wood in the tube for backing and drill holes for the pot screw adjustments and then shrink it on. Mark with a Sharpie.
DUCK
Sep 11, 2018, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC
They will be 5 pins, and then the housing grounded by the legs that also hold it down stronger.
I can't see fully but you can probably solder a new connector on, with the missing pad you have there, but then run a fly wire from that pin to where that pad goes.
You probably need to solder that fly wire onto the connector before fitting it to the board, or you may bot be able to get to it once fitted.
And maybe they did not connect that pin with no pad at all - maybe it never had a pad? I am not sure why they would do that. Someone could test their Guardian to tell if it IS connected.

You got me thinking about the guardians I have that havenít had the usb break off, but could. The mechanical restraint is just the usb case tabs into the board. What if a small hole was drilled ( pin vise not power drill) on either side of the mounting tabs thru the board. Then a solid copper wire passed thru the hole and if lucky, the ends can be twisted or over lapped on the under side of the board and soldered together for added strength?
Or overlap on top of the connector and soldered if itís better mechanically.
Basically a closed soldered loop instead of two small soldered tabs we know donít do the job!

It may be tacky, but there are stand alone bare connectors that as suggested, wires could be added point to point for usb hookup.
Iíve had to do that for non RC devices with the same issue.
One other idea but without actually looking at my guardian, is I believe you you only need 2 wires to connect to usb, the other 2 is for 5v power. 5v power could be provided by any of the servo connector pins via a esc.
The computer doesnít care.
Another idea is to repurpose a unused servo output as a usb input if the trace allows easy access. Iím thinking the Aux connector if the trace can be accessed and cut and rerouted to the usb pads or traces.

My point being, If you have no choice, You do what works.
Sep 11, 2018, 08:52 PM
It might be (probably is?) a multi-layer board and drilling through it could damage internal layer tracks. But maybe it is only one or two later (top/bottom).

Another idea is to add the USB connector via wires instead of mounted on the board. Probably just some very short length - maybe 10mm or 20mm... or whatever suits you.
You can hot glue the board end wires and also the USB connector wire end, for strain relief. Use some flat ribbon cable....
This could be done 'well' and then you won't breaking off a USB connector again, lol.
The 'flying' connector part would not really get in the way or waste space etc.
Sep 12, 2018, 10:57 AM
Out of the Past
Hey Guys!
Takes a lot to break that connector off. I was letting my non flyer friend fly my modded 1100mm Spitfire on 4s on 2D with some coaching. I looked away for a moment and he flew full tilt thru a Maple tree.I looked back just in time to see an explosion of leaves and foam. Wish I had had the wing cam on. It was a classic.
Cheers
DUCK
Sep 12, 2018, 01:27 PM
Rick
I had one where the USB was not reachable with the G installed so I left a 6" USB cord plugged in so it could be accessed without removing it. Wouldn't you know, the plane went in at a steep angle from plenty of altitude. The fuse was destroyed but the only electronic damage was the cord yanked the USB connector off the G. Without that cord attached it probably would have been fine. Every solution brings new problems.

In the early days, a number of people complained that the connector broke off fairly easily while plugging/unplugging. Hard to say if this was a weak mount or ham handed handling but it was a problem. At some point ET said they started reinforcing the mounting in production. Since then such complaints have diminished so apparently it was effective. I don't know what they did or any way to tell which units have the reinforcement but it was quite some time ago so most units in use now are probably reinforced.
Sep 12, 2018, 04:03 PM
Out of the Past
That is exactly how mine got ripped off. I had the USB extension running thru the forward fuse side. The nose broke off in the crash. Picked up the whole ball and put in a garbage bag I carry in my flight box. Removing from the bag at home I fumbled,the nose fell and it jerked the extension sideways and pulled the connector off. The G was attached to the main spar.
DUCK
This is my Bearcat extension. Of course I dont have the prop on when adjusting!!! Living on the edge
Last edited by IGIVEUP1; Sep 12, 2018 at 04:14 PM.
Sep 18, 2018, 12:14 AM
Hi all,

I have a new build finished. Everything seems to respond in correct direction and as expected except one thing I’m not so sure of.

When I hold full stick in some direction, if I flick the mode switch from off to 2D, the deflection is increased to max values.
Same thing happens if I flick the mode switch from off to 3D HH (while holding full stick on trans).
Tha plane is sitting level.

***Why is the deflection increasing?

Servo Travel setting on trans is on 100%
Dual rate are 80 low /100 high
***The pots on the unit itself are fully counter clock wise
(Plane has no rudder)
Servo settings on the PC software are on Default.
Delta wing, the mix is onboard in Guardian.

Single switch gesture and also double switch gesture in first few seconds are done.
And I’m ready for maiden flight.
Unit was recently bought new direct from Eagle Tree.
Did not do factory reset, nor reset gyros.

Gryphon
Sep 18, 2018, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU
Hi all,

I have a new build finished. Everything seems to respond in correct direction and as expected except one thing I’m not so sure of.

When I hold full stick in some direction, if I flick the mode switch from off to 2D, the deflection is increased to max values.
Same thing happens if I flick the mode switch from off to 3D HH (while holding full stick on trans).
Tha plane is sitting level.

***Why is the deflection increasing?

Servo Travel setting on trans is on 100%
Dual rate are 80 low /100 high
***The pots on the unit itself are fully counter clock wise
(Plane has no rudder)
Servo settings on the PC software are on Default.
Delta wing, the mix is onboard in Guardian.

Single switch gesture and also double switch gesture in first few seconds are done.
And I’m ready for maiden flight.
Unit was recently bought new direct from Eagle Tree.
Did not do factory reset, nor reset gyros.

Gryphon
This is Normal behavior for the Guardian to exceed your Dual Rate settings. Again, It is normal. Only problem is if you set your dual rates to overcome control surface linkage ranges that go beyond full range of servo rotation. Fix your linkages or go into the GUI and go to servo setup and make the adjustments there.

I was an early adopter and learned the lesson by stripping servo gears.

Bill
Sep 18, 2018, 10:16 AM
In 2D, the G is attempting to achieve the command roll or pitch angle, as set in the 2D page of the PC software; since the model doesn't respond it increases the command until it does, or the limit is reached. You can test it. If, for example, you have the roll angle set to 60 degrees and move the aileron stick half way, then lift the wing that should rise, it should neutralize the ailerons as you approach 30 degrees roll angle; full stick should do this at ~60 degrees roll.

In 3D, if Direct Rate 3D Control is selected, it will try to achieve the set rotation speed; again, the model doesn't rotate, so maximum command is reached. If you turn off Direct Rate, this doesn't happen. This is really hard to verify on the ground by moving the model around.
Sep 18, 2018, 02:38 PM
Thank you guys.
I appreciate your replies.

I love the guardian for many reasons, but the #1 reasons is launching in 3DHH.
Sure helps a lot when launching/throwing an over powered plane with high wing loading.
***Almost feel like I can throw it and turn my back instead of being ready for right stick input.
I recommended it to many online friends and they love it too.

—————-

Any idea how fast people fly with Guardian?
Highest I know of is a friend with 5KW in Multiplex Funjet Ultra.
He is a great pilot. Uses the Guardian for launch 3D HH, recovery in 2D occasionally.
Plane flies little over 200 MPH without a dive or tailwind.
6S-5000, 330 gram motor, Castle 200A ESC, and having added fiberglass makes this foamy a flying brick due to exceptionally high wing loading.
I think his latest build, which was the fastest one, was getting little oscillation. He was still very happy, and might just need to do a little more fine-tuning.

Another friend has one in his 250 MPH more/less Composite plane. Should hear back from him soon.

Gryphon
Sep 18, 2018, 08:08 PM
Rick
Years ago there were some posts from one or two guys using Guardians in turbine jets. Don't know how fast they were but these often top 200mph. These days turbine guys likely use more purpose built devices.
Sep 18, 2018, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22
Years ago there were some posts from one or two guys using Guardians in turbine jets. Don't know how fast they were but these often top 200mph. These days turbine guys likely use more purpose built devices.
Coretex gyros are often used in turbine jets. About $300.

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-c...xis-gyros.html
Last edited by Prof100; Yesterday at 10:06 AM.
Yesterday, 09:44 AM
Mach One
My EDFs use the Guardian and most fly on average 100mph and a few do up to 130mph.

Quick Reply