This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 05, 2018, 10:18 AM
Mach One

Best Aircraft Gyro for the Price

I have been using a number of gyros on the market by various manufacturers and marketing brands and I can confidently say that this Eagle Tree Systems Guardian is the best fixed wing aircraft gyro for its price! I have used the Hobby Eagle A3 gyros, the Super and the Super 2 and other rate mode types and comparing the functionality, the performance and ease of use, the Guardian 2D/3D exceeds the other brands for sure. Also, I have many Guardians and some have been exposed to very rough conditions and they still perform flawlessly. Thank you Eagle Tree Systems, ChooChoo (Rick) and everyone who has contributed to the success of this product.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 05, 2018, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo
I have been using a number of gyros on the market by various manufacturers and marketing brands and I can confidently say that this Eagle Tree Systems Guardian is the best fixed wing aircraft gyro for its price! I have used the Hobby Eagle A3 gyros, the Super and the Super 2 and other rate mode types and comparing the functionality, the performance and ease of use, the Guardian 2D/3D exceeds the other brands for sure. Also, I have many Guardians and some have been exposed to very rough conditions and they still perform flawlessly. Thank you Eagle Tree Systems, ChooChoo (Rick) and everyone who has contributed to the success of this product.
Me too.
I totally agree.

HOWEVER, it would be nice if they honored some of the upgrade requests to make it even better.
Jul 05, 2018, 10:33 AM
Mach One
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88
Me too.
I totally agree.

HOWEVER, it would be nice if they honored some of the upgrade requests to make it even better.
What upgrade requests?
Jul 05, 2018, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo
What upgrade requests?
Go to this thread.
Guardian Advanced – what do you want to see?
Jul 05, 2018, 12:24 PM
Mach One
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88
Go to this thread.
Guardian Advanced – what do you want to see?
Oh I see. Obviously developing and planning products is a very important process and one that needs to be done very carefully. Releasing various products or revisions to existing products one after another is a certain way of destroying what Eagle Tree has achieved if not done with diligence and discipline. I like their style in that they are conservative in their development approach and don't like to issue anything unless it is vetted and tested by many. This is why they are where they are IMO. Their product speaks for itself as compared to others.
Jul 13, 2018, 06:44 AM
Hi All,
Have finally decided to install the ETGuardian on my FunjetUltra to do the test flights.
This plane is a 4S lipo set up.The FJU tends to torque roll every single time on launch. I thought this might be the best platform to test the ET Guardian.
Have checked every thing as per Rick's manual and all control surfaces move accordingly.
One question I have before I do the first test flight next week. Do I have to reset "level" before every single flight if I'm flying the same plane with Guardian installed ?
Here are some photos that I took today:
Thank you.
Regards,
AeroR
Jul 13, 2018, 07:23 AM
Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroR
Hi All,
One question I have before I do the first test flight next week. Do I have to reset "level" before every single flight if I'm flying the same plane with Guardian installed ?
No. Set level on the bench as your best guess for level flight. Fly it in 2D (level flight) and see how it behaves. You can use the 5 toggle gesture in flight to get it spot on. This is all covered in Rick's excellent guide.

I have a number of hand launch models and I launch them in 2D to keep them steady as they pick up air speed. I hold a bit of up ELE in as they are released. Works fine for me.
Jul 13, 2018, 09:19 AM
Hi Mapes,
Thanks a lot for that.
Regards,
AeroR
Jul 18, 2018, 02:37 AM
Hi All,
Test flew the Guardian today in 35km/h wind.Not easy to do and struggled a lot to keep it level flying.
It was a very short flight (less than five minutes or so)and decided to try again another time when the weather cooperates.
I noticed that in both 3D HH and 2D HH the plane like to nose dive when the stick is centered.
Is this behaviour normal or am I doing something wrong.
I will test fly again probably next week. But in the meantime can someone please let me know if I need to do anything about the nosedive.
Thanks.
Regards,
AeroR
Jul 18, 2018, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Hi All,
Test flew the Guardian today in 35km/h wind.Not easy to do and struggled a lot to keep it level flying.
It was a very short flight (less than five minutes or so)and decided to try again another time when the weather cooperates.
I noticed that in both 3D HH and 2D HH the plane like to nose dive when the stick is centered.
Is this behaviour normal or am I doing something wrong.
I will test fly again probably next week. But in the meantime can someone please let me know if I need to do anything about the nosedive.
Thanks.
Regards,
AeroR
It is hard to determine flight behavior in a strong wind. Diving in 2D heading hold mode with center stick suggests to me the plane level flight setting needs to be reset. Did you trim the plane with the G off? Read Rick’s guide (choo choo).
Latest blog entry: Just want to bookmark this
Jul 18, 2018, 08:25 AM
Hi Prof100,
Thanks for the reply.
I did the reset on the bench and noticed the twitch on the ailerons.Also did a reset at the flying field with the plane on level ground before take off.
Did not have to trim at all.It flies level with the Guardian off.
Yes, I agree that it was not a good idea to test fly on a very windy day, but just wanted to see how it would perform. I can say it does not like that environment at all.
Should I raise the nose slightly before doing a reset on my next test flight to avoid the nosedive?
Thank you.
Regards,
AeroR
Jul 18, 2018, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Hi Prof100,
Thanks for the reply.
I did the reset on the bench and noticed the twitch on the ailerons.Also did a reset at the flying field with the plane on level ground before take off.
Did not have to trim at all.It flies level with the Guardian off.
Yes, I agree that it was not a good idea to test fly on a very windy day, but just wanted to see how it would perform. I can say it does not like that environment at all.
Should I raise the nose slightly before doing a reset on my next test flight to avoid the nosedive?
Thank you.
Regards,
AeroR
Yes, set level flight again. Remember, it is a function of the angle of attack of the plane not “bubble level.” Set the plane on a level surface and raise the nose by the thickness of a book or maybe a 2x4. Also, Check the direction of elevator correction too. The control surfaces should counter changes in pitch in the right direction.
Latest blog entry: Just want to bookmark this
Jul 18, 2018, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
Yes, set level flight again. Remember, it is a function of the angle of attack of the plane not “bubble level.” Set the plane on a level surface and raise the nose by the thickness of a book or maybe a 2x4. Also, Check the direction of elevator correction too. The control surfaces should counter changes in pitch in the right direction.
When you do this, try to view the relative angle of the wing chord; it has to be at least a little positive for an aircraft to fly level. How much depends entirely on wing shape and loading. so YMMV, but setting level with at least some positive AoA is a good place to start. On a calmer day, you can use the 5 gesture level reset for the airspeed you normally fly.
Jul 18, 2018, 02:35 PM
Mark
Quote:
Hi All,
In 3DHH the G should hold it on it's last known (centre sticks) attitude. In 2D then this indicates that level needs to be set a little higher on the bench. As I have stated before you can fine tune this in the air and use the 5 toggle gesture to get it spot on. Trimming any model in 35kmh wind is not a good idea. Use some common sense.
Jul 18, 2018, 03:41 PM
Michael
[QUOTE=AeroR;39954971SNIP
SNIP
AeroR[/QUOTE]
Actually, if it flies level with the Guardian OFF and you did the level set properly, then, if anything, the Guardian should have "tamed" the wind.

On a windy day, I like to make a low pass and show folks how the plane is remaining "on rails", yet the control surfaces are moving quite a bit to compensate for wind gusts knocking the attitude off...

Michael

Quick Reply