Announcing the Guardian 2D/3D Stabilizer - Page 951 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 30, 2017, 10:07 AM
Michael
Short answer: Yes.

Rick (choochoo22) and others have explained that the Guardian, stationary, on a workbench, behaves differently than in the air. Think about what the purpose of the Guardian is and what stick movement is requesting of the Guardian; different in 2D and 3D modes. That is what you are seeing in control surfaces seeming to move as if on high rates...

Personally, I find that, in 2D mode, the turn rate can be too slow on low rates; especially for the CZC Cub. I have it set so that when my Guardian is in 2D mode, then I have high rates automatically selected.

in 3D mode, dual or even triple rates will work, but for a fuller explanation, search this thread for behavior differences when stationary vs. when in the air.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by heebe_geebe
Does anyone know if there is a special setup or if the Guardian can perform on duel rates?
I didn't see it addressed in the several 100 post I've read. Doesn't mean it's not there just cant find it...

Without it connected duel and even triple rates react as they are suppose to. Once I plug it in not all control surfaces reacted the same.

I have a carbon Z on low, medium & high rates so my son can learn. Once I hooked the Guardian up the rudder recognized all 3 but the rest of the controls only saw low & high...
This is my first guardian but I'll getting dizzy trying to trouble shoot...

Thx for any help!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2017, 10:32 AM
It depends on which mode you are using. If you have Direct Rate enabled in 3D mode, the command from the receiver is interpreted as a percentage of the maximum rate specified by the control slider. For example, if the slider is set to 1 on the ailerons, if the command is 250mS from center (approx. 50%), the G will try to rotate the model at 1/2. If the slider is set to a value higher than the model can perform, you can reach the highest rotation of the model before the stick reaches full offset, so dual rates may have only a small effect. You also could have the issue of the controls reaching the physical limit before the stick is all the way over. I don't use Direct Rate, but, if you like it, your best bet is to fly with the G off, and time how many seconds the model takes to rotate a given number of rotations, and use that to set the rate sliders; this, of course, is affected by air speed.

In 2D mode, the command is used to set the angle, so if the angle limit is set to 85 at full deflection, dual rates will have the apparent effect, as the commands will be reduced, therefore the rotation angle will be reduced by the same amount. Note the warnings that, in a dynamic situation, the model can exceed the angle limit if the command changes rapidly. As Michael pointed out, low rates in 2D mode means shallow turns, which can have you chasing a model over the horizon.
Last edited by Wintr; Nov 30, 2017 at 10:37 AM.
Nov 30, 2017, 10:42 AM
I understand and I'll keep looking.
My problem was the actual manual movement of my surfaces with it on or disabled didn't react as programed when it is disconnected. when I switched it to medium rate my distance of manual travel wasn't there. It either went 30% on low or 100% on high no in between. If I held full rudder it would react to all 3 switch rate positions as programed. Aileron and elevator only saw low and high...

Thx for the reply
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515
Short answer: Yes.

Rick (choochoo22) and others have explained that the Guardian, stationary, on a workbench, behaves differently than in the air. Think about what the purpose of the Guardian is and what stick movement is requesting of the Guardian; different in 2D and 3D modes. That is what you are seeing in control surfaces seeming to move as if on high rates...

Personally, I find that, in 2D mode, the turn rate can be too slow on low rates; especially for the CZC Cub. I have it set so that when my Guardian is in 2D mode, then I have high rates automatically selected.

in 3D mode, dual or even triple rates will work, but for a fuller explanation, search this thread for behavior differences when stationary vs. when in the air.

Michael
Nov 30, 2017, 02:09 PM
Umm, yeah, my comments were for actual flight. On the bench, the responses are very different. In 2D mode, the G doesn't much care about the rudder, using the elevator and ailerons as primary inputs. In both modes, it expects the model to react to it, so the surfaces just won't behave the same as when it is off.

Try this test in 2D mode: disable Center Stick Stabilization Only Mode, then apply full roll command with the Tx. Roll model in that direction - do the ailerons return to neutral at some point? Change the rate in the Tx and repeat - did the neutral position change? BTW, if turn coordination is enabled, the rudder will move when you roll the model, too.
Last edited by Wintr; Nov 30, 2017 at 02:29 PM.
Nov 30, 2017, 08:44 PM
Rick
Quote:
I understand and I'll keep looking......
I strongly suggest you read through the New User's Guide here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=354219

As has been explained by Michael and Wintr, the G behaves differently in flight than on the ground. This is discussed in the NUG but basically you don't need to worry about it. Set it up per the NUG and all will work fine.

If you think about it you should expect to see some differences with the device on or off for any stabilizer. If the outputs were identical on/off with all modes, it wouldn't be doing anything. The NUG goes through a step-by-step setup and checkout that will insure it is working as designed.
Dec 07, 2017, 01:48 AM
Quote:
This is my first guardian but I'll getting dizzy trying to trouble shoot...
Just think how easy it will be to get those other 2 Guardians up and working.
Make sure you try one of them on a 3d plane.
That's where they really show what they can do.

Steve
Dec 10, 2017, 12:41 PM
Does the Guardian SW work in Windows 10?
Dec 10, 2017, 12:58 PM
Damn that dog can fly.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88
Does the Guardian SW work in Windows 10?
Yep
Dec 10, 2017, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPJI
Yep
That's good to know.
I'll try it in my new laptop.
thanks