Announcing the Guardian 2D/3D Stabilizer - Page 949 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 10, 2017, 05:08 AM
Learning to crash
Decided to pick up my first glow plane setup (Great planes PT-19, and an OS .46 2 stroke for it), and was planning on using one of the S6R stabilizing recievers for it, but reports of them not liking so many vibrations has me thinking about using the ever faithful Guardian in it instead. Can a Guardian handle these vibrations just hard mounted to the balsa frame or would I have to figure out a way to dampen it in a foam mount of some kind? Even had thoughts of designing a 3D printed box just a little bigger than the link I posted to above where I could use some moon gel pads on 3 sides of the Guardian to absorb some of the vibrations.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2017, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom T
Decided to pick up my first glow plane setup (Great planes PT-19, and an OS .46 2 stroke for it), and was planning on using one of the S6R stabilizing recievers for it, but reports of them not liking so many vibrations has me thinking about using the ever faithful Guardian in it instead. Can a Guardian handle these vibrations just hard mounted to the balsa frame or would I have to figure out a way to dampen it in a foam mount of some kind? Even had thoughts of designing a 3D printed box just a little bigger than the link I posted to above where I could use some moon gel pads on 3 sides of the Guardian to absorb some of the vibrations.
Guardian does not do well with IC engines UNLESS it is isolated from the inherent pulsation or vibration. I isolated a Guardian in a Hangar 9 Cub by mounting it on a Range video camera platform.
Nov 10, 2017, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom T
I have had them on several glow planes in the .25 to .46 size, primarily 3D slabs over several years. No problems. I mount them on Velcro and wedge a piece of sponge or soft foam in top, held in by the access hatch or by a popsicle stick bridged across the stabilizer. This works well and is about as simple as you can do it.
Nov 11, 2017, 03:04 PM
I used a Guardian on my Nexstar with an OS 46. It was mounted via servo tape to a piece of lite ply which was screwed to two side rails inside the fuse.

Worked fine.
Nov 13, 2017, 05:22 PM
Rick
This is really outside my wheelhouse as I haven't flown wet power for about 20 years but it seems to me that the RPM range, and therefore the pulse frequency, of .25-.46 2-stroke glow engines is considerably higher than the larger gas engines Bill is talking about. It seems likely the slower but stronger pulses of the gas engine would be more problematic.

It's reasonable to try the simple approach first. Just a Velcro mount or a layer of foam, or maybe nothing, may be all you need to absorb the glow engine vibration. Ground testing at different throttle settings should reveal whether more isolation is needed.
Nov 13, 2017, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22

It's reasonable to try the simple approach first. Just a Velcro mount or a layer of foam, or maybe nothing, may be all you need to absorb the glow engine vibration. Ground testing at different throttle settings should reveal whether more isolation is needed.
Rick,
Do you know what the Guardian does when experiencing excessive vibration?
What symptoms do you see in the air and in static testing?
I fly all electric and I have had instances of Guardian control going wild in the air, but not sure this was due to vibration.
I would be really interested to know.
Nov 13, 2017, 07:19 PM
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galand
Rick,
Do you know what the Guardian does when experiencing excessive vibration?
What symptoms do you see in the air and in static testing?
I fly all electric and I have had instances of Guardian control going wild in the air, but not sure this was due to vibration.
I would be really interested to know.
I've never observed it but reports are as you say, sudden wild control movements.
Nov 13, 2017, 07:26 PM
Quote:
I've never observed it but reports are as you say, sudden wild control movements.
Anything observable on the bench?
Nov 13, 2017, 08:19 PM
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galand
Anything observable on the bench?
I would expect the sudden uncommanded control movements would be observable.
Nov 13, 2017, 09:27 PM
Quote:
I would expect the sudden uncommanded control movements would be observable.

Yes, I never mad a video but the first attempt on my H9 gasser was a hoot to observe when idling. Control surfaces were dancing away. Not good. Isolation is needed. Hence, the Range video platform was developed for the H9 1/4 scale Cub.

Last edited by Prof100; Nov 13, 2017 at 10:01 PM.
Nov 13, 2017, 10:34 PM
[QUOTE=Prof100;38629169]Yes, I never mad a video but the first attempt on my H9 gasser was a hoot to observe when idling. Control surfaces were dancing away. Not good. Isolation is needed. Hence, the Range video platform was developed for the H9 1/4 scale Cub.

That would conform with "wild" behavior in flight.
I guess a poorly balanced prop would be enough?
But that would still be a fairly high frequency as compared with an idling gasser.
Nov 13, 2017, 10:41 PM
[QUOTE=Galand;38629499]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
Yes, I never mad a video but the first attempt on my H9 gasser was a hoot to observe when idling. Control surfaces were dancing away. Not good. Isolation is needed. Hence, the Range video platform was developed for the H9 1/4 scale Cub.

That would conform with "wild" behavior in flight.
I guess a poorly balanced prop would be enough?
But that would still be a fairly high frequency as compared with an idling gasser.
Wild is an understatement.

A poorly balanced prop would be much less severe. A blade broken off a prop would be worse of course.

Bill
Nov 14, 2017, 05:12 AM
Learning to crash
Thanks for all the input people, maybe its just time to get away from self leveling gyros. Although I do love my Guardians for that piece of mind safety net, I just keep watching all these videos of kids, older men and everyone else flying everything under the sun with just recievers, and keep saying to myself if they can do it then so can I. Maybe if Eagle Tree is at a kind of stalemate for new product ideas they could investigate what it would take to have a dampened Guardian or even some kind of mount for one. Finished getting my my PT-19 together yesterday, and although Ive got several months of winter to deal with before Ill get to fly it, my goal for next summer is to have a large balsa P-47/IC engined bird flying. Figured this little PT-19 would be a good size for a 1st IC model. If it goes in, then it goes in.
Nov 15, 2017, 05:56 PM
A self level device is handy when you ONE DAY get into trouble... eg lose orientation, or it does something 'weird'/amiss and a flight controller MIGHT save it still. (at least usually better than doing 'nothing')

So even if you use it just as a 'safety' device it can be of great use.... one day....