Announcing the Guardian 2D/3D Stabilizer - Page 944 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 08, 2017, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22
I doubt I can help with this but I'll try.

The suggestion to try a different cable is not just a shot in the dark. It has come up in this forum several times that someone having problems fixed it with a different cable. Some USB cables are built for charging only and lack the wires for data communication. Clearly this won't work, but they look the same as data cables. Test the cable by using it to plug in your cell phone or some other data device and verify the cable makes a data connection.

Are you seeing the 3 blinks on the LED when you plug in the Guardian? If not, there is no connection and the Recorder can't work. This might be caused by the cable, USB port problem, a driver problem, or a Guardian problem. Does it connect with another Guardian? Make sure you aren't using a USB3 port. So far as I know this works but maybe not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmisuinas
A cable I can confirm will work is a Kindle cable...Pete M
Thanks for trying to help.
The cables I have used, are simple cables and I use them for other connections as well.
When connected, both Guardian and e-logger give a continuous short blink pattern.
I have tried different Guardians.
The funny thing is that a couple of months ago, I successfully updated all my Guardians on the same computer, with (I think) the same cables and with the 10.69 version and all worked fine.
Now, I sometimes succeed in connecting the e-logger, with the same hardware and software, but not the guardians anymore. When successful, I indeed get the 3 blink pattern.
The USB3 question is a good one. USB3 is what I have but why would it work sometimes and other times not, on the same port? I will check into that.
Clearly the PC does not "see" the ET devices.
I have deleted and re-installed teh s/w several times to no avail
I am baffled and the manual program approach does not appeal to me.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 08, 2017, 05:01 PM

Magic?

Pete,
Although skeptical, I tried my Kindle cable and damned! , it works for the Guardian in a USB2 port.
I have no idea why my other cable, which is plain vanilla, does not work.
Maybe it is chocolate taste?
For the e-logger, with a different USB plug, the "Live" trick works.
So I am back in business.
Thanks Pete
Sep 08, 2017, 05:55 PM
Rick
Perhaps a flaky connection in the cable.
Sep 08, 2017, 06:37 PM
Learning to crash
I wanted to start getting into some bigger planes (and perhaps a glow or gas model). I ordered a Phoenix Edge 60 (65" wingspan) this morning thinking I could run it on the suggested 6s packs and a rim fire 120 motor. I have since been told my flight times would suck eggs . I had planned on installing a Guardian and enjoying some nice flying. Now I think Im going to have to go with either a glow or gas engine. Never have owned anything but electrics, so this will be interesting if I do go with an IC engine. I still want to use my Guardian, and am pretty sure Ive read where this was asked here before, but what and how much dampening will I need to use for the Guardian of I do go with an IC engine?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBAEE
Last edited by Tom T; Sep 08, 2017 at 07:53 PM.
Sep 08, 2017, 09:29 PM
Michael
Check out Bill's (Prof100) blog about his Hangar 9 gasser with Guardian and the experiments with a Range Video suspended mount; lots of empirical work involved and rather nicely explained.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-1-4-scale-Cub

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom T
I wanted to start getting into some bigger planes (and perhaps a glow or gas model). I ordered a Phoenix Edge 60 (65" wingspan) this morning thinking I could run it on the suggested 6s packs and a rim fire 120 motor. I have since been told my flight times would suck eggs . I had planned on installing a Guardian and enjoying some nice flying. Now I think Im going to have to go with either a glow or gas engine. Never have owned anything but electrics, so this will be interesting if I do go with an IC engine. I still want to use my Guardian, and am pretty sure Ive read where this was asked here before, but what and how much dampening will I need to use for the Guardian of I do go with an IC engine?

Sep 08, 2017, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom T

What kind of flight times were you expecting?

If you go with IC engine you will need to isolate the Guardian from the inherent vibration of a combustion engine. I have one in a Hangar 9 giant scale with a 35 cc motor. I mounted the Guardian on a Range video suspended platform and added weight to the platform to tune it out of the engine noise signature. It works great.
Sep 09, 2017, 06:30 AM
Learning to crash
Well I have several Roaring top 6s-5500-45c packs that I use in my Freewing 80mm A-10, 1700mm P-51, and even in my 1500mm P-47. Was hoping for around 5 to 6 minutes in the Edge with moderate flying. Not into 3D or anything, just sporting it around. Have a club member that flies a h9 ss330? and was surprised how well it flew on electric, which is why I really wanted to keep it electric. I dont know his planes weight though, but is close to the same size. I'm just shying away from gas because like I said I have never had a gas model and really dont want to get into all that in my stage of life, plus a bigg'ish DLE 20 probably wouldnt be a wise 1st gas motor. I kind of depend on the Guardian "just in case" to save my bacon and wallet once in a while. Ive thought about a stabilized receiver and just started messing around with a S6R in a little electric Cub and have a couple of S8Rs coming, but dont think I will trust them in a plane like the Edge just yet.
Sep 09, 2017, 07:58 AM
Tom,

5 or 6 minutes with modest flying is reasonable with those packs. Your mileage will vary based on pack condition and flying style. My giant scale H9 cub with a 35cc gas will fly for 20 minutes. Same with the DLE 30 cc clipped wing Cub.

My Power 60 powered Cub with 16x8 prop and 5000 mah pack flys for 6 minutes. The electric is so much easier to use. Gas is good but RX packs have to maintained, and pump grade ethanol blended fuels degrade the flight mixed gas unwittingly even with stabilization.

I am favoring the ease of use electric these days.
Sep 10, 2017, 05:33 PM
I was considering putting a G into an existing aircraft with flaps. When the flaps are deployed it requires down elevator trim so this is set as usual in the flap system. I expect the G will interpret this as forward stick and not apply compensation on pitch, is this correct?
Sep 10, 2017, 07:49 PM
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff2005
I was considering putting a G into an existing aircraft with flaps. When the flaps are deployed it requires down elevator trim so this is set as usual in the flap system. I expect the G will interpret this as forward stick and not apply compensation on pitch, is this correct?
In 3D with HH the down elevator compensation may cause the HH lock to disengage so the G won't be doing much of anything.

In 2D the G will interpret the elevator compensation as a command to pitch down. In other words it will apply whatever elevator is needed to achieve a new target attitude that has a steeper down angle than existed before the flaps were extended. This may or may not be desirable.

In general, the G will compensate for the flap deployment on its own in 3DHH or 2D without any help, and will interpret your programmed compensation as a command to do something else. I have setup Guardians in several planes with flaps and they work fine in 3DHH or 2D without any programmed compensation.
Sep 10, 2017, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the reply.
I'll try zeroing the elevator trim offset in the flap system and see how it goes.
Sep 12, 2017, 01:38 PM
On all my Guardian setups the master gain pot ends up a little less than the middle.
If I unplug the gain connector will the overall gain remain the same.

My understanding of the manual indicates that if I unplug the gain connector the effect is the same.
I just want to confirm it before I make any changes.
Last edited by clearprop88; Sep 12, 2017 at 01:54 PM.
Sep 12, 2017, 05:02 PM
Rick
With the connector unplugged the gain defaults to 40%. If your normal position is a bit less than half, this should be fine.
Sep 12, 2017, 06:47 PM
OK, thanks.
Sep 17, 2017, 07:33 PM
Loops and Rolls. Not understanding how 3d mode works. With G off I can loop and roll, with G on and in 3d I cannot roll 360 degrees or loop. On the ground I get full deflection in all modes with the G on and the same with G off and my gain knob at half or 100%. All other stabilization aspects work fine.
Thanks.