Announcing the Guardian 2D/3D Stabilizer - Page 939 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 09, 2017, 02:04 PM

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515
Yes.
My larger models have the mode set to 2DHH / 3D / 3DHH, but Master Gain does have its own channel as I like the ability to turn the Guardian off, so I dial the Master Gain back to zero when needed (e.g., trim flight, check my flying skills/rust, ...)

With the latest releases of the firmware, toggle gestures no longer have to go through OFF; just a change from one mode to another, and back. Check Rick's (choochoo22) User Guide.

Michael
Great thank you, yes I need my rust checked too but it is the middle of winter here and always windy
to remove ads between posts
Jul 13, 2017, 02:14 PM
Last edited by clearprop88; Jul 13, 2017 at 08:02 PM.
Jul 13, 2017, 03:02 PM
Last edited by clearprop88; Jul 13, 2017 at 08:03 PM.
Jul 13, 2017, 04:20 PM
Rick
I would strongly suggest taking a very close look at that board before re-designing it.

The power from the source ( BEC, UBEC, or battery) should come in to the board on the end with the larger holes, labeled "PWR". The negative side of PWR should connect to all the pins on one end of each 3-pin servo set, hopefully the pins where they illustrate pre-soldered black wires. The positive PWR should connect to the center pin on each 3-pin servo set, thus forming both a positive and negative bus. The remaining pins should connect with traces between the like-numbered servo output and rx input pairs (labeled "servo" and "channel") EG: ch-5 in to ch-5 out, as is shown in one of the illustrations. Is this not the case? Remember to examine both sides of the board when tracing connections, only one side is shown in the photos.

One puzzling thing in the photos is that the optional rx power pads seem to be the opposite polarity from the power source input connections. It's possible the traces cross over somewhere for some reason or the polarity printed on the board could be wrong. Inspect this closely before changing anything.

PS: If in doubt, use an ohmmeter to test continuity.

PPS: Reading the text more carefully it seems they have split the power for the input and output sections to add some versatility so the + bus from PWR should only go to the "servo" section and the rx and Guardian must be powered separately. It should be easy to do that by connecting the + pads on both ends of the board if you want to use the same power for both. Inspect the polarity mentioned above first.
Last edited by choochoo22; Jul 13, 2017 at 04:42 PM.
Jul 13, 2017, 08:04 PM
Yes, you're right. I have to take another look at the traces.
I deleted my posts so that they don't mislead anyone.
Jul 14, 2017, 10:25 AM
I took a closer look at the traces on the board.
There are traces on both sides of the board.
Also checked the wiring with a VOM.

The + and - traces cross over on the board, but it's OK.

The important thing is that the red wires on the CHANNEL side are not connected to anything.

So I feel confident now that the board provides the isolation that is needed.

I had to analyze the board for my own peace of mind to see if it worked as advertised.
Jul 14, 2017, 02:53 PM
Rick
I would expect the red wires on the channel side to connect to the + pad on the end of the board marked "rx". Is that not the case?

Not sure why they crossed the polarity but as long as it's labeled correctly it doesn't matter. Otherwise this all makes sense.

The photos on the web site show the board with the receiver leads soldered in to the channel section in some photos and in one pic they show pin headers soldered instead with the receiver leads plugged in to the pin headers. Which way did your board arrive?
Jul 14, 2017, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22
I would expect the red wires on the channel side to connect to the + pad on the end of the board marked "rx". Is that not the case?

The red wires are not connected to anything, and that's what we want to provide isolation.
On the channel side we only want signal, and ground wires to go to the Guardian.
I think the only reason the red wires are soldered on the board is because the cables come in sets with 3 wires on a servo connector, so rather than cut the red wires off or leave them dangling they solder them connected to nothing on the board.

Not sure why they crossed the polarity but as long as it's labeled correctly it doesn't matter. Otherwise this all makes sense.

They just crossed the polarity traces over to the other side because the individual servo traces are in the way. It was just easier to do it that way.

The photos on the web site show the board with the receiver leads soldered in to the channel section in some photos and in one pic they show pin headers soldered instead with the receiver leads plugged in to the pin headers. Which way did your board arrive?

My board came with the pin headers on the servo side, and receiver leads with servo connectors soldered into the channel side.
Like this;
https://www.servocity.com/servo-powe...le-servo-leads
Jul 15, 2017, 01:39 AM
Rick
So the + pad on the rx side is also connected to nothing? Or is it connected to the PWR + ?
Jul 15, 2017, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22
So the + pad on the rx side is also connected to nothing? Or is it connected to the PWR + ?
The power pads are connected by traces on the board. So whatever you connect on the power side appears on the rx side with the indicated polarity.