Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 18, 2017, 05:06 PM
The logical switch approach is sound but, just to be clear, with The Jeti implementation of Throttle Cut, it isn't needed. With the throttle cut enabled, no amount of panic switches, mixes or whatever will cause the motor to run because the Throttle cut is applied to the throttle channel of the transmitted signal rather than to the throttle stick.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2017, 09:39 PM
ancora imparo
Ditto for OpenTX. You can use the Special Function Overide Channel n where n is the throttle channel. This applies directly to the output.

However Logical Switches add the additional capability of conditional operation.

So you can have a throttle override that can only be disengaged IF the throttle stick is at zero AND the throttle cut is off (throttle channel zero) AND the transmitter annouces "Up, up and away!" just as an example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorh View Post
The logical switch approach is sound but, just to be clear, with The Jeti implementation of Throttle Cut, it isn't needed. With the throttle cut enabled, no amount of panic switches, mixes or whatever will cause the motor to run because the Throttle cut is applied to the throttle channel of the transmitted signal rather than to the throttle stick.
Mar 19, 2017, 06:35 AM
question,, how well does the guardian handle wind/gusts?
lately there has been about 15 mph wind here, and its driving me crazy.

thanks...

edit:
found out it has the same stabilizing technoligy as the vector, so i was wondering wich modes in the vector is the same as the guardian?
vector "2DH" = guardian " 2D flight mode"
vector "3DH" = guardian "3D Heading Lock"
vector "Gyro" = guardian "3D Gyro"

is that correct?
Last edited by hobaoe; Mar 19, 2017 at 08:22 AM.
Mar 19, 2017, 08:25 AM
Just Plane Crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintr View Post
Throttle cut on my Futaba was meant for wet power, and just adds a negative value to the throttle channel; if you move the throttle up far enough, the motor is on. I wish I had a throttle disable switch!
I use Futaba 7-C and have a mix set up to disable the throttle with one switch. Google search and you can find it. If not and you want it, I will see if I can find the info.
Mar 19, 2017, 09:23 AM
because rust never sleeps....
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobaoe View Post

thanks...

edit:
found out it has the same stabilizing technoligy as the vector, so i was wondering wich modes in the vector is the same as the guardian?

is that correct?
The vector seems to be the Guardian (literally) with a few additions. I was in a Vector menu the other day and its title on the OSD was "Guardian" something or other. Same code base, makes sense.
Mar 19, 2017, 09:51 AM
Mark
Quote:
You should be fine with that wind speed. If the air is "bumpy" you may get knocked about a bit but the Guardian will handle it for you.
Mar 19, 2017, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC guy View Post
I use Futaba 7-C and have a mix set up to disable the throttle with one switch. Google search and you can find it. If not and you want it, I will see if I can find the info.
Yes, I thought I was using all my switched, then realized switch D was unoccupied. Set P-MIX 1 to apply an offset of -100 to channel 3, I just need to test it. Of course, I won't get the 'throttle cut' warning on power on.
Mar 19, 2017, 03:18 PM
Rick
Quote:

thanks...

edit:

is that correct?
That's basically correct. The algorithms are a bit different but both work fine and the 2D modes are more like:

Vector 2D = Guardian 2D (V 2DH has altitude hold which the G doesn't)

All the modes work very well for wind turbulence.
Mar 19, 2017, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
That's basically correct. The algorithms are a bit different but both work fine and the 2D modes are more like:

Vector 2D = Guardian 2D (V 2DH has altitude hold which the G doesn't)

All the modes work very well for wind turbulence.
thanks
Mar 20, 2017, 03:55 AM
Quote:
Thats why I got the Gs for my smaller planes. I can fly ultra-light planes (150 gr at 700 mm wingspan) in those gusts with a lot of fun. Its actually increasing my flyable hours by factor 3 - at least. My only reason to wait for calm days is maidens.
Mar 25, 2017, 04:06 PM
Just flying by, lookout below
Would the Guardian handle the vibrations on a large 30cc gasser?? I've used then on lots of electric.. most of the ones on the market say "electric only" any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, RidgeMan
Mar 25, 2017, 05:54 PM
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeMan View Post
Would the Guardian handle the vibrations on a large 30cc gasser?? I've used then on lots of electric.. most of the ones on the market say "electric only" any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, RidgeMan
They are being used successfully in large gas planes and even turbines. Often a gasser will require some accommodation for vibration. One poster in particular has been active on this topic. Look for posts and blogs by Prof100 or just ask him directly.

There are gels that could be used or here is a solution from Range Video: http://www.rangevideo.com/vibration-...ion-mount.html

If it were my plane, knowing that it will work with the right setup, I would start simple with just some foam cushioning and see if there are any problems. If not, you're done. If yes, an anti-vibration gel or suspended platform can be used. At worst, a suspended platform with weights and experiment with the strength of rubber bands or use Prof's (Bill's) solution.
Mar 25, 2017, 09:32 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Great info on the gas compatible question. I was told in another thread I would have to use a differnat Gyro, I am glad to hear that the ET can work with care.
Mar 26, 2017, 08:11 AM
Just flying by, lookout below
Thanks... The other part that concerned me was supplying enough voltage thru the Eagletree for multible large servos? I also found this: Spirit Stabilization System (Heli Flybarless & Fixed Wing) but when I read the manual and even downloaded the setup program it seems to only talk about heli setups? I wrote to the company and am waiting for a reply, but again.. thanks for the info!

RidgeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
They are being used successfully in large gas planes and even turbines. Often a gasser will require some accommodation for vibration. One poster in particular has been active on this topic. Look for posts and blogs by Prof100 or just ask him directly.
Mar 26, 2017, 10:08 AM
Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeMan View Post
Thanks... The other part that concerned me was supplying enough voltage thru the Eagletree for multible large servos? I also found this: Spirit Stabilization System (Heli Flybarless & Fixed Wing) but when I read the manual and even downloaded the setup program it seems to only talk about heli setups? I wrote to the company and am waiting for a reply, but again.. thanks for the info!

RidgeMan
I haven't read your link and Rick will probably have something to contribute to your question but a few pointers for you to have a look at:-

Firstly, Rick's Power Distribution document.

Secondly, if you want to look at options for powering your gasser CDI from the same flight battery then take at look at the Tech Aero IBEC. I've recently fitted one to my gasser kitted out with a Guardian and all works fine.