Nov 18, 2013, 05:19 PM
Thanks guys, thats really useful info and good to know I can still deploy crow without 'upsetting' the Guardian. One thing I am not clear on is making sure elevator compensation mixed in with crow is only used when the Guardian is OFF? Not sure how I can achieve that on my DX9...maybe if I have a long think about it I will figure out what you mean

But bottom line is...Time to buy a Guardian!!!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 18, 2013, 05:33 PM
Michael

DX-18 vs. DX-9

Unsure about the DX-9 (I use a Jeti DC-16), but prior to the Jeti, I had a DX-18 and used the COMBI switch to control the down-elevator mix; i.e., full flap switch position and Guardian OFF position. If you use the throttle stick to control flaps, then the analog switch approach can be used to trigger the mix enabled or disabled.

One extra wrinkle that I did (on both the -18 and the Jeti DC-16) was to remove the upward deflected ailerons when throttle was applied (about half-throttle resulted in zero added ailerons...) Not critical, but saved flipping one or two switches on a go-around.

I suspect that, on the DX-9, as COMBI is not provided, a couple of mixes may be needed; i.e., mix down elevator with flaps, then have a mix, controlled by Guardian in OFF position, to mix the same amount of up elevator to negate the aforementioned flap/elevator mix.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky53
Thanks guys, thats really useful info and good to know I can still deploy crow without 'upsetting' the Guardian. One thing I am not clear on is making sure elevator compensation mixed in with crow is only used when the Guardian is OFF? Not sure how I can achieve that on my DX9...maybe if I have a long think about it I will figure out what you mean

Nov 18, 2013, 06:56 PM
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky53

One factor I forgot to mention, Michael (Snowflake ) touched on it and JayY brought it up a while ago....

The Guardian may compensate for flaps perfectly but you might still need an offset in 2D. You will probably want to set your 2D level for minimum sink cruise speed. When crow is deployed, however, the extra drag causes loss of airspeed (that is the point of crow after all). Holding the same angle of attack will probably result in a stall. The best solution is to set up a mix/offset so that deploying crow in 2D causes some nose down attitude change to maintain the airspeed at a steeper descent angle, which is generally the result desired from deploying crow.
Nov 18, 2013, 09:22 PM
FB Group: We Fly RC's
New problem to me.
Ive used the Eagle on a couple planes before and I'm familiar with its setup etc.
DX9 - Extreme Edge, ailerons w/Y to Eagle.
DX9 monitor shows no movement to elevator when ailerons are moved by radio
DX9 monitor shows no movement to ailerons when elevator is moved by radio.
But: elevator does moves when ailerons are moved by radio and vice/versa. I have not had this happen before and I can't stop the movement.
Bench tests seems to indicate that the Eagle is working correctly when moving the plane by hand.
The above is the same in 2D, 3D and off modes.
Nov 19, 2013, 03:47 PM
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by eghershey
New problem to me.
Ive used the Eagle on a couple planes before and I'm familiar with its setup etc.
DX9 - Extreme Edge, ailerons w/Y to Eagle.
DX9 monitor shows no movement to elevator when ailerons are moved by radio
DX9 monitor shows no movement to ailerons when elevator is moved by radio.
But: elevator does moves when ailerons are moved by radio and vice/versa. I have not had this happen before and I can't stop the movement.
Bench tests seems to indicate that the Eagle is working correctly when moving the plane by hand.
The above is the same in 2D, 3D and off modes.
Is it possible you set the elevon function on by accident? It's a mistake others have made as it only requires 3 gestures vs 2 for resetting trims. Plug in to the PC to see, and make sure the flaperon function is off as well.
Nov 19, 2013, 04:12 PM
Suspended Account
icant wait until they get all the bugs out of the G I have 2 of them yet unused
Nov 19, 2013, 08:24 PM
stegl
What bugs are you referring to ? Has been out for some time now and many users are not having problems other than user created ones. See the previous one and a half wing with hands off... takeoff on page 500..... Pretty impressive I would have to say.
Nov 19, 2013, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl
What bugs are you referring to ? Has been out for some time now and many users are not having problems other than user created ones. See the previous one and a half wing with hands off... takeoff. Pretty impressive I would have to say.
Ignore him....he comes in here every so often and stirs things up....
Nov 19, 2013, 08:41 PM
Gilbert AZ
Golds typical crap worthless post. Ignore this troll
Nov 20, 2013, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy
icant wait until they get all the bugs out of the G I have 2 of them yet unused
Sorry you are having unresolved problems. Can you PM me your support ticket numbers? I will check on them and get back with you asap!

Regards, John
Nov 20, 2013, 10:41 AM
My guess is he doesnt have any support tickets... he jusy comes in here every once in a while and stirs the pot. I doubt he has even flown any with the G. His complaint long ago was that the G was too hard to set up and never really listened to any help. Now all of a sudden there are "bugs" that need worked out. Like others have said, he is just a troll....
Nov 20, 2013, 02:03 PM

Nitropowered Planes

I have read most of the Guardian threads and can't find anyone flying a trainer type plane with the Guardian. I'm almost 85 yrs old and need all the help I can get. I have to fly large planes due to my eyes. think the Guardian would be a big help if it will work with my type of plane. Any information will be appreciated
Thanks,
oldgrandpa
Nov 20, 2013, 02:25 PM
Hi old grandpa, I'm using the guardian on both of my trainer planes and they have saved them many times. I use 3d to take off and fly and 2d makes landing very easy. Whilst I am flying in 3d mode I know I have that 2d 'save my plane' switch if it all goes wrong.

Once you have guardian set up flicking to 2d immediately puts the plane into level flight, then once you compose yourself you can go back to 3d normal flying.

I know the purists may think that this device is cheating, I even had one guy telling me I should be crashing my planes to learn!! But what the hell, I'd rather keep my planes in one piece.....

You will love it.....
Barry
Nov 20, 2013, 03:03 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
Guardian's use isn't limited to fast or difficult planes. I've had great success using Guardian in an Parkzone Radian, a powered 3 channel (rudder, elevator, throttle) sailplane with a 2 meter (79 inch) wingspan. It makes this large, slow, and already tame model even easier to fly and it's now the model I use, with a buddy box, to give friends and family with no experience whatsoever a chance to fly an RC airplane.

My advice is to buy a Guardian and follow choochoo22's setup guide. If still not clear, ask here, this is a very helpful group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgrandpa
I have read most of the Guardian threads and can't find anyone flying a trainer type plane with the Guardian. I'm almost 85 yrs old and need all the help I can get. I have to fly large planes due to my eyes. think the Guardian would be a big help if it will work with my type of plane. Any information will be appreciated
Thanks,
oldgrandpa
Nov 20, 2013, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgrandpa
Thanks,
oldgrandpa
Hi OldGrandPa, you will surely find many people willing to help you to setup the guardian around here; but please make sure to read the attached documents written primarily as a how-to. It is organized in a way that should make it easy to follow at different stages and includes some things that have been learned along the way in this forum, including some suggestions for various options and FAQs as an appendix.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8&d=1374917842

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0&d=1381986396
Last edited by czorzella; Nov 20, 2013 at 04:23 PM.

Quick Reply