Feb 19, 2012, 09:11 PM
Your customer
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson
Hi Silver,

From my limited communications with Bill; I can say that this is based off of the Guardian stabilizer that is currently being used with the OSD PRO.

It is not a rebrand.

This should be less sensitive to Vibration and Temperature than the Fytech stabilizer.

I was using Guardian for stabilization, and FY20 for camera stabilization in freezing temperature, and the guardian performed flawlessly, while the FY20 was undependable to say the least. it is safe to say that the FY would have put my plane in a spyral had I been using it for stabilization.

In summation, This should be a highly desirable stabilization unit.

-Mike
Mike,

Thanks for the reply, and clarification. Looking forward for more info.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2012, 09:56 PM
FPV junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress
Mike,

Thanks for the reply, and clarification. Looking forward for more info.
I should note that I have not tested this 2d/3d model. I don't want to be misleading.

but I know that he has an engineer who developed both units.
They were discussing the production of this new guardian at the time
that the OSD PRO guardian expander was released,
so they have been working fervishly to bring this new one to the market.

Based on the performance of the guardian expander, I expect this to be an excellent product.

-Mike
Feb 19, 2012, 11:03 PM
Always looking towards the sky
Where is the best place to order it? Looks like it is hard to find in stock.
Feb 20, 2012, 12:17 AM
FPV junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick B
Where is the best place to order it? Looks like it is hard to find in stock.
http://eagletreesystems.com/guardian/index.htm

Shipping in late spring
Feb 20, 2012, 12:52 AM
But often down to earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747
Thank God !!!

Mike, I am with you on the FY20, In my view it is highly unpredictable,
I've experienced the death dive for no reason.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is preferred that you use digital servos, when using any type of flight stabilization unit

FCA
I have a Guardian and a FY-20a. I use analog servos with them and they work great.

Steve
Feb 21, 2012, 11:16 AM
---- --
what are the chances that the price will be lower from a dealer when "in stock" actually happens?

michael clyde
aka - "broke"
Feb 21, 2012, 02:54 PM
Counter agent of B.S.
Probably ZERO!

But wait until next Christmas and they might have another holiday sale.
Feb 21, 2012, 04:15 PM

Credit Card Charge w/ Eagle Tree

FWIW, I just pre-ordered the 2D/3D Stabilzation System from ET & found out afterwards that they immediately charged my credit card for the entire price plus shipping at the time of the order, instead of when the product is shipped, even though the latter is what most really reputable online sellers do. I understand that this is not illegal but also that it is in violation of Visa & Mastercard policies. I think it is fine to either take a lesser non-refundable deposit amount, or tell the customer that there will be a hold on their card for this amount until shipment, but to take money this far in advance of an actual sale seems like overreaching to me. I didn't cancel my order (the option they offered) but will probably in the future look to buy any more of these units from some vendor that only collects my money when they sell it to me. As they say, "Caveat Emptor".

Jed
Feb 21, 2012, 04:40 PM
Counter agent of B.S.
Probably required in order to be on their 'pre-order' list.
However, isn't it law to ship an order within 30 days of posting to your CC?

Maybe they'll cancel/re-institute monthly on your CC until it actually ships.<yikes>
Feb 21, 2012, 05:03 PM
As I understand it, there is federal law (the Fair Credit Billing Act) that is silent on this issue, but instead it makes it illegal for a seller to not ship within the stated or agreed upon delivery time. But if no time is stated or agreed upon, then the shipment must be within 30 days. And some states may have additional laws that regulate this practice - I've heard but haven't had time to research it that CA (where I live) may make this practice illegal. Again, for what it's worth when you want the product being sold.

Jed
Feb 21, 2012, 05:13 PM
But often down to earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedorme
As I understand it, there is federal law (the Fair Credit Billing Act) that is silent on this issue, but instead it makes it illegal for a seller to not ship within the stated or agreed upon delivery time. But if no time is stated or agreed upon, then the shipment must be within 30 days. And some states may have additional laws that regulate this practice - I've heard but haven't had time to research it that CA (where I live) may make this practice illegal. Again, for what it's worth when you want the product being sold.

Jed
I knew they charged up front but I wouldn't do it for many companies. Eagletree is one of the few companies I trust to follow through with the order.

The risk with some companies is that you have a time limit from the date of a sale to protest the charge. If you have a problem after the time limit you're out of luck.

Steve
Feb 21, 2012, 05:26 PM
3DHS 'native'
Yea I just emailed to cancel. Too long to wait and who knows whats on the horizon in hobby land.
Feb 21, 2012, 08:32 PM
Thread OP
All, thanks for all the interest in the Guardian! It's really appreciated. I'm going to answer some of the posted questions now, and some I've referred to the expert here.

Roger,
Quote:
Is the guardian safe to use in the larger models with the higher vibrating engines?
We spent a lot of time on counteracting the effects of vibration, and we're getting good feedback from people using the Guardian with nitro. We strongly recommend a ground test at varying throttle speeds for new setups, of course. The control surfaces can be observed to make sure they are not moving incorrectly. Also, since the Guardian gain can be controlled with a switch or knob, the stabilization can be switched off if there are issues encountered during flight.

Air2Mud,
Quote:
So, how do you set it up with a model using independent channels for each of elevator and ailerons? It looks like - with the AUX output - you could do one of those but not both?
I believe you'd need to use a Y cable/reverser with one of the two sets, but we're looking into it.

moti,
Quote:
Did it work on flying wins(Ail Elev delta connection)?
Yes, the Guardian works great with wings.

Jaguar22,
Quote:
this is similar in function as many of the 3 axis gyros used on RC Helis for many years. So if you have flown helis for a while flybarless this is nothing really new.
It's quite a leap up from that, I believe. The Guardian is built around a 6DoF IMU of our own design. It does have a mode that is purely derivative, though.

stall warning,
Quote:
I would like to see a 3rd flight mode option, Rate mode with no self-level. This mode would dampen movement on a windy day and make landings
and take off a bit more like an non stabilized aircraft.
That option is there already. The Guardian has several modes - I'll publish the list asap.

going4speed,
Quote:
I want to turn it off in the air and turn it on for landings.
That can be done via a gain knob/switch channel on your radio.

scrtsqrl,
Quote:
It would be awesome if you could slave gain with airspeed. I'm sure if there was a company that could do this, you can, given that you already have the hardware in house.
Hmm, the Guardian has a data port that is compatible with our airspeed sensor, so it could certainly be done if we get a lot of requests.

SilverExpress,
Quote:
Digital servos, ok with this?
Yes.

CzechPilot, congrats! We've got your info and will be shipping yours when the first shipment arrives.

jedorme,
Quote:
+1 to the above; unless there might be some way (flight modes, etc) to have separate gain controls over each axis, I don't see how it could be used to help manage rudder control during takeoffs of my errant tail draggers & still work to help stabilize my aileron & elevator controls to fly all my airplanes in heavier winds. But I ordered it & will hope that these folks have figured this out. Hopefully the manual will tell us more.
I think we've got you covered, but let me get back on this.

Andre,
Quote:
Will the guardian stabilizer work with an OSD Pro connected to a Seagull? And if so, in what capacity (which features are functional)?
I think you are asking whether the Guardian will work with an OSD Pro connected to our Flight Data Recorder (rather than an eLogger). You should be able to connect the Guardian stabilizer after the OSD pro in this configuration, and the Guardian will stabilize the model, even during RTH (since the Guardian Expander is not supported on the Flight Data Recorder - sorry).

To clarify a little about FPV, here are some additional thoughts:
- If you are doing FPV and are looking for an OSD + Stabilization, I'd recommend the OSD Pro (eLogger version) + the Guardian Expander. This gives full on-screen setup, AHI, etc., and is a more integrated solution.
- If are not doing FPV, or are doing FPV without an OSD,or are using an OSD other than the OSD Pro, the Guardian 2D/3D stabilizer should be perfect for you.

jedorme,
Quote:
FWIW, I just pre-ordered the 2D/3D Stabilzation System from ET & found out afterwards that they immediately charged my credit card for the entire price plus shipping at the time of the order, instead of when the product is shipped, even though the latter is what most really reputable online sellers do.
sorry about the confusion about our preorder policy. As part of the order process, this information is displayed above the "I accept" button:

Backorders and Preorders
We provide backorder and preorder capability on our website for your convenience, subject to the following terms and conditions:
* Items that are preorders or backorders will be indicated as such in the information displayed when you add the item to your shopping cart.
* Preorders and backorders are charged immediately to your credit card or PayPal account, via our automated shopping cart payment processor.
...."

We've tried to make this policy clear, but could have done more I'm sure. To make a long story short, we've had this policy since 2004, due to the way our shopping cart interacted with the credit card payment processors. To date this has not been something that we get much feedback about, and is not something we've really thought about for years.

However, we made some upgrades to our system recently, and the LAST thing we want to do is upset people, so after a long adventure today, for credit card purchases our cart now does authorization at order time, and does not charge until ship time. Presently paypal purchases are still charged immediately - that's tomorrow's adventure. If you have a credit card preorder with us already, and want us to delay the charge, just respond to your order acknowledgement email and ask to cancel the order. Due to our card security policy, we're not able to reprocess the order automatically, so you'll just need to place the order again if you want to preorder again and take advantage of the new policy. Sorry again for any confusion this may have caused people.
Last edited by billpa; Feb 21, 2012 at 08:39 PM.
Feb 21, 2012, 09:17 PM
Bill,

Thanks very much for the prompt responses to the various questions.

I do hope that there is a way to both have a type of heading hold to manage rudder control when needed on takeoffs, & a rate-gyro type dampening control to help stabilize the ailerons & elevator in windy conditions. I look forward to hearing more about this.

And I very much appreciate your prompt efforts to address the billing concerns. But I am a Paypal customer & guess I will just hope that tomorrows adventure bears fruit. I also really have to admit that my real angst has been with many of Paypal's policies, and not that of other vendors I've used them with - I'm sure they don't make it very easy for you. As a brand new Eagle Tree customer, I am most impressed with your customer service efforts & look forward to doing business with you. Cheers,

Jed
Feb 21, 2012, 10:26 PM

Seagul - Guardian 2d/3d - OSD pro

TY Billpa,

perhaps I should describe my RPV; it's got a full complement of your sensors into a Seagull, and an OSD Pro and GPS on the expansion port of the Seagull.

Up to this time, I've only used the data recording features of the Seagull and its been great. The OSD pro has tagged along in the flight, but I have yet to put together the ground station goggles to try it out. My assumption is that RTH is possible with this setup, and that if I throw in the Guardian 2D/3D onto the OSD pro, I'll get stabilization, but probably not the AHI (since the guardian won't do anything on the bus as the Seagull can't talk to it).

Is this correct?

Cheers

Quick Reply