May 02, 2012, 03:42 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
I have over 50 flights in two differant aircraft with the Guardian 2D/3D and have never connected th Gain input. The default 40% works fine and each axis can be tweaked on the ground. Inflight gain control would be my least concern. I guess if you were flying a ficxed with witj a speed envelop up to 200 MPH and needed maximum Guardian performance from 20 to 200 in flight gain would be important but in the range of 20 to 80 I fail to see the need to tweak it it flight for normal flying.
I completely agree. I actually used the remote gain adjustment, but found that NOT using it was way easier, faster, and more convenient. The only real reason I can see for using remote gain adjustment on the Guardian is as follows:
Adjust gain mid-flight until oscillation is seen, then back down until no oscillation > Land > Connect to GUI and record gain settings > Disable remote gain adjustment > Set gain to recorded value and lock it in.
This is how I set gains on all my multirotors. Once optimal gain is set, there is really no reason to fiddle with it. My flybarless (3x vbar's and 1x Beastx) Helis are the same way. I've not messed with the gain on any of those in over a year and they fly great. I think some may be over-complicating things here without even flying the Guardian yet.

Quote:
IMO the unit with V. 1.11 installed could be released and most who fly fixed wing sports,3D,scale war birds etc, would be delighted with its' performance.
Again, I agree completely. I think anything more for fixed-wing is going to be perfection and polish at this point. But I still have some planes I want to test it in.

Quote:
If a Guardian is just used for 30 seconds during take offs and 1 minutes during landings it means the difference between being able to fly fear free in high gusty winds or staying at home.
I'll be testing this theory hopefully Sunday. It's not looking to be super windy, but I'm really excited to see what this will do in a big plane, a fast plane, and some more flying wing action. Hoping to have someone along to film it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
Not sure that was a question to me but no i was not able to attend SEFF and well at least you were able to show display the unit to people there.

Didn't realize you only had it in a small light weight foamy
I have had it in a Hyperion Sniper II, 3D Foamy Sbach, a 51" 3DHS Slick, and today a Swift flying wing. So far it's performance has been fantastic. I have unfortunately not been very lucky having anyone along to shoot video though.

Let me expand on today's flight. Swift flying wing. I put the Guardian on a wing because I noticed Billpa mentioned it in this thread and I thought it would be fun. This wing is not incredibly fast, but it's perfectly powered and I've flown it quite a bit. With the Guardian in 2D mode the wing was a hands off soaring plane. I noticed the behavior was very much like a sailplane/glider. One of the nicer things in 2D mode was pointing it into the wind, taking my hands off of the right stick, dropping the throttle to zero and watching it hang in the air. In 3D mode, the wing control reminded me somewhat of controlling a mouse cursor with a stylus. Control was smooth. I have to say thought that the 2D mode was really what stood out on the wing though for me. I normally would not use that mode much but I went through another 2 batteries in the 2D mode alone. I did drop the gain down lower than I had it set in the previous planes though. Not because of oscillations, but simply because it felt better to me.

With that said, as long as there is no rain, I plan to test the Guardian in several planes on Sunday. I am hoping to at least get some testing in first with a Funjet (ARC motor/4s setup/clocked at 119mph), and then in my 71" 3DHS Slick. I've not been able to get out and fly as much as I usually do the last few weeks because of prepping for SEFF and work, but I am really dedicated to testing all next week. So we'll see how it goes.
to remove ads between posts
May 02, 2012, 03:49 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
everydayflyer or anyone else who is testing the Guardian. On a 3 position switch, I find that having the disabled position in the center is not very natural and if someone were using the Guardian as a panic stabilizer, they would likely miss middle position. Do you have a work-around for this? I have emailed a suggestion to EagleTree engineers, but I was just curious if you folks felt the same or had an alternative/workaround.
May 02, 2012, 05:23 PM
vpp
vpp
Hi Guys,

I was most interested in purchasing a 2D/3D Guardian Inertial Stabilizer, unfortunately I have just returned from the U.S. somewhat frustrated as I could not find one available anywhere. As you know Eagle Tree's web site is taking orders but (unless someone can tell me different) there is actually no release date.

My question is when will they be available?

I personally don't feel like acting as a guinea pig, providing a customer interest survey and swelling the order book prior to them being ready to ship.

Frankly Eagle Tree, I think you are leaving us dangling for no good reason.

Regards all,

Dave
May 02, 2012, 05:48 PM
Southern Pride
HansAuf

Quote:
On a 3 position switch, I find that having the disabled position in the center is not very natural and if someone were using the Guardian as a panic stabilizer,
Well first for clarification my center Off position is not panic stabilization ,that would be Mode 2 which is down or toward me Position 2 as marked on DX7 on my setup. Mine is a fixed wing model but I have the Flap switch moved to the Gear switch location,same as on the Heli model. Long story short my son purchased an aircraft model one but really wanted the heli version so I purchased the heli one and we swaped..

Off is when you want the Guardian turned off / disabled.Great for seeing just how much easier the Guardian is making everything and for the very unlikely event that it stopped working or perhaps became dismounted.

You can program the switch anyway yoyu like or atleast any way the Transmitter is possible to program.

I find the center off best as in either 2D or 3D you are only one click away. I am very use to using that switch as it is used for heli modes Normal,Stunt 1 and Stunt 2 which helps a lot I guess.

Dry flying as I xcall it is the time to learn switch locations / positions not while in actual flight.It takes me about 1/2 sec. to hit Throttle hold (heli) or to change from one flight mode to another.

From post 247

Quote:
I used a servo on the Guardian mode channel so as to have visual feed back. You need full CCW for 2D centered for off and full CW for 3D.
If one wants thier aircraft to fly hands off like an extremly stable trainer that is extremly difficult to crash unless you freeze on the sticks then 2D is the ticket.

If you want to fly an extremly A stable aircraft that can do pattern,sports,scale,3D not be bother by the winds and make the pilot look a whole lot better then he really is then 3D is the ticket.

A stable to me is you point it and it continues on that path.That is much the way a great pattern aircraft flys.

Charles.
Last edited by everydayflyer; May 02, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
May 02, 2012, 06:08 PM
Southern Pride
Dave

When asked about availabity Bill has posted every time , late spring. Yes they are taking pre orders much the same as E Flite, FMA, and many other vendors are in the habit of doing. Many of us choose to pre order so that we get our units as soon as the first batch is available. I remember about 4 years ago pre ordering a FMA Cell Pro 10 charger and waiting about four months for it. I got one of the first 200 produced and some others had to wait several months until the second batch was available.

Personally I want addational Guardian 2D /3Ds to fly this summer not next year.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; May 02, 2012 at 07:19 PM.
May 02, 2012, 09:54 PM
[QUOTE=HansAuf;21500766]I completely agree. I actually used the remote gain adjustment, but found that NOT using it was way easier, faster, and more convenient. The only real reason I can see for using remote gain adjustment on the Guardian is as follows:
Adjust gain mid-flight until oscillation is seen, then back down until no oscillation > Land > Connect to GUI and record gain settings > Disable remote gain adjustment > Set gain to recorded value and lock it in.

I can see your point, and I have not yet flown with the Guardian. One reason I wanted the gain control was to be able to turn it off in the air without sacrificing my only aux channel on the 6i which is used for duel ailerons. As I said, there is no three position switch on the 6i. hopefully, I can use the gear switch to switch between 2D and 3D modes and use the gain on the throttle channel of the other transmitder to turn it all the way down to shut it off when ready. Yes I could just use a Y cable and steel the aux channel, but I use my flaperons on short fields quite often with this plane. It seems to float a great deal and pass the short runway if I do not use the flaps.
Like I said, I have not flown with stabilization before so I may totally change my mind after trying it. Now if they will finally ship this thing.
Last edited by pm79311; May 02, 2012 at 10:02 PM.
May 02, 2012, 09:59 PM
The other transmitter being the Spectrum 5e
Last edited by pm79311; May 02, 2012 at 10:04 PM.
May 03, 2012, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm79311 View Post
Variable adjustment allows for different gain for low and high speed ( flying, and landing)
I understand, I use the gain all the time as i fly a plane with varied speeds.

My only point, is you can use the 2 or 3 position switch and adjust endpoints to give you access to different gains in a manner simpler than 2 radios, 2 receivers. But I agree with you having a dial on a radio makes this so much easier.

Al
Last edited by alros_100; May 03, 2012 at 01:40 AM.
May 03, 2012, 11:31 AM
Southern Pride
Quote:
Yes I could just use a Y cable and steel the aux channel, but I use my flaperons on short fields quite often with this plane. It seems to float a great deal and pass the short runway if I do not use the flaps.
Not trying to be critical of your landing technique but it sounds like you are using the elevator to control decent during final which if so is why you need flaps or spoilers.
Trim the elevator up and use throttle to control rate of decent.An aircraft with its' nose up creates a lot more drag and bleeds speed extremely well.Ever watch a Jet landing? They do not come in on at low power and a shallow glide path.
Navy jocks land on a very small moving runway that is very often pitching also.

I have belonged to a half a dozen or more RC clubs and have flown at many more over the past 44n years and all the memebers always complain about their runway being to short. It makes no difference if it is 300 feet or 900 feet and if there is very little extra on the ends or 1500 feet or more. Everyone tends to use all ths space they have and wish for more.

I cut the grass and maintain the field I fly at and in years past when others flew there the runway was cut over 800 long. The past 3 years myself and son are the only ones flying there and I cut 350 feet and neither of us use over 2/3 of that. The runway is aprox. 60 feet wide and we routinely make cross field landings as the wind tends to blow towards the pits and it is impossible to make an into the wind landing unless wind wind is blowing out from the pits which it rarely does.

Charles
May 03, 2012, 01:31 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
Just another kudos to the guardian as far as that goes. I was landing my 51" slick in 17mph wind with the Guardian installed in about 25 feet max. I just put it in 2D mode and was letting it sink using throttle and elevator only. Was kind of cartoonish, since my skill set would not likely allow me to do that normally without wing rock in breezy wind. I repeated this multiple times for almost a whole battery because it was so fun.
May 03, 2012, 07:17 PM
Thread OP
Thanks so much to those who have offered additional beta testing help! We're in the process of responding to these now - sorry for delay.

vpp,
Quote:
I was most interested in purchasing a 2D/3D Guardian Inertial Stabilizer, unfortunately I have just returned from the U.S. somewhat frustrated as I could not find one available anywhere.
I hear you! We're literally working around the clock to get the guardian out there for everybody. Our official "late spring" ship estimate has not changed.

Quote:
My question is when will they be available?
The first production run of a new product involves many steps of somewhat unpredictable duration. Fortunately things have gone smoothly with the Guardian, and we are primarily waiting on a definitive date for when the first production run will arrive here, and at that moment I'll be able to give a more precise date. Nobody wants the product out there more than we do!
May 03, 2012, 09:20 PM
As long as one of those is mine!

Tony
May 04, 2012, 02:47 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Ahhhh Bill don't tease me - I'll take 5 of those right now

2 of my latest high speed project are waiting for this product to be released, I hope one of your beta testers will be doing some high speed testing, interested to see how well to unit performs at speeds over 140mph

FCA
May 04, 2012, 03:15 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
.....I hope one of your beta testers will be doing some high speed testing, interested to see how well to unit performs at speeds over 140mph
FCA
Is that called "testing to destruction"?

Dave

Ground Resonance - Side View (0 min 33 sec)
May 04, 2012, 03:23 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Dave, I think you need to turn down the gain till the shaking stops

Quick Reply