Feb 01, 2013, 09:55 AM
Outlaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
I have two I waterproofed with ACF-50 (similar to CorrosionX) for use in water planes. They haven't been flow yet but check out just fine.
good too know
I want to corrrosionX one also!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2013, 04:24 PM

Guardian, Its not as complicated as some assume it is.

Reading this forum, it is clear that many users are either very cautious or confused when it comes to implementing a Guardian on their model when in reality it's really quite straight forward to implement assuming you have a conventional airframe if you follow a couple of basic rules.

Setup your plane normally and get the radio configured correctly so that Al, El & RD work as expected without the Guardian installed and test fly to confirm systems and trim the AC as best possible mechanically and then electrically on the on the TX using subtrims.

While doing level fly past at your normal cruise speed, make a mental note of what straight and level flight looks like or even take a digital pic if it helps but for most well sorted AC the underside of the wing will be pretty much horizontal and the tail plane likewise.

Next, install Guardian, chose a solid mount that gives access to the USB port if you later need to hook up to a PC and most importantly that you can see and adjust the 3 gain control pots. The mounting should be as close to the aircrafts level as possible in X,Y & Z axis, please refer to the Guardians instruction sheet here.

At this point you don't need the mode or gain control channels connected to the RX.

One warning, Guardian most be securely attached to the airframe, if it were to come loose or worse unstuck in flight the aircraft would probably be destroyed before you could react. Use quality servo tape or fine velcro but check the Guardian does not wobble around if the airframe moves violently.

Set all 3 pots to about 75% of travel, all in the same direction, that's either the 9'oclock or 3'oclock, doesn't matter which you choose for now, just make them all the same.

Connect the flight battery.
With the AC level check all controls still work as expected like before, this check is to see you have installed and wired the Guardian correctly.

Now, roll the AC left & right, the ailerons should respond to counteract your roll input. In other words, if the right wing goes down, the right aileron should go down to try and level the wing, equally left wing down, left aileron should go down.

If the ailerons move in the correct direction move on to the checking the elevator.

If the Ailerons move in the wrong direction, reverse the centre Roll pot to the opposite (mirror) position, this will reverse the Guardians output for the aileron.

Note, this only reverses the Guardians flight correction signal applied to the ailerons, it is not the same as reversing a channel in the TX. This is a important point to understand.

Now, you should have the ailerons right, lets check the elevator.

Lift the tail up & down, does the elevator move in the correct direction to counter you movements? If you move the tail up, the elevator should move up to counter, if you move down, the elevator should move down?

If it moves correctly, move onto checking the rudder.

If the elevator move in the wrong direction, reverse the centre Pitch pot to the opposite (mirror) position, this will reverse the Guardians output for the Elevator.

Now, lets check the rudder, in 2D mode the Guardian does not normally produce a lot of rudder movement and from reading posts this seems to confuse many users who expect to see similar large movements like the see with the ailerons.

Wiggle the tail of the AC left and right and carefully observe which way the rudder moves even though it may only be a few mm. Again the rudder should move to counter the movement of the tail, if the tail goes left, the rubber should also move left, if the tail goes right the rudder should move right?

Again, if the rudder moves in the wrong direction, adjust the YAW pot to the opposite position and recheck that the rudder now moves in the correct direction.

And thats it, for most conventional aircraft, you can take it out and fly it just like that without either the mode or gain channels connected.

Ideally you have a TX/RX that will allow you to connect at least the Mode channel to a preferably 3 position switch but it can be a 2 position at a pinch. Having the mode channel allows easy access to both inflight 2D/3D and OFF selection but also make resetting level flight trim much easier.

My instructions may make it sound simple but for basic, conventional airframes it really is that simple, users with high performance AC or Delta wings etc. probably already know enough to setup a Guardian without my help.

My final advise is to carefully watch the basic Guardian setup video from Eagletree's website which basically covers the same thing.

Happy Flying.
Feb 01, 2013, 11:03 PM
Anyone running a CC Icelite and Guardian, using the onboard BEC?
Feb 02, 2013, 02:53 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff2005 View Post
Anyone running a CC Icelite and Guardian, using the onboard BEC?
I used it with the ICE 75 in a Toledo Special with 4 digital servos. No problem.
Feb 02, 2013, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
I used it with the ICE 75 in a Toledo Special with 4 digital servos. No problem.
Sounds good.
Feb 02, 2013, 11:29 AM
Outlaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515 View Post
A while back I posted a question about a previously working Guardian, when the model was flying in 3D and I switched to 2D, abruptly went inverted (perfectly level, just inverted.)

It turns out that this is a potential bug that will be corrected in a future firmware release.

APPARENT CAUSE: The Guardian is mounted inverted in the belly of my model (so the pots are still readily accessible) AND a "level/trim reset" (AKA single toggle between 2D/3D) takes place EARLY in the 15 second window. Early appears to be roughly within the first four or five seconds, IIRC.

WORKAROUND: Wait 'till near the end of the 15 second window (I've been waiting 'till just past 10 seconds) and then perform the toggle/level reset.

This seems to work, but the first time it happened, and I was able to repeat it, at the field, it sure increased my pucker factor. Fortunately, I was three mistakes high and when I messed up a maneuver and switched on 2D, rolling to level, albeit inverted, was OK, just disconcerting. :-)

On the bench, before resetting level near the END of the window, placing the model in a upright, level, attitude, then switching on the Guardian in 2D mode, would immediately displace the ailerons as it attempted to roll to an incorrect inverted level position. If I manually rolled the plane inverted, the ailerons neutralized...

I was grateful for EagleTree support when this happened. Apparently, when first setting up the model, I was slow in toggling the reset and hence I inadvertently was following the "workaround". After a few flights, I wanted to reset both trims and level, but this time I apparently was much quicker... :-)

Michael
while testing my second inverted G2D/3D I noticed the same thing. I waited till after 10 sec for the reset level flight and trims toggle and it worked perfect.
Thanks for the tip!
Feb 02, 2013, 11:57 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
Deleted
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 09:03 PM.
Feb 03, 2013, 12:21 AM
[Removed by User
Last edited by Retiredtech; May 29, 2013 at 01:06 AM.
Feb 03, 2013, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoalonso View Post
Whatever trims and subtrims you had in your aircraft before the Guardian 2d/3D was installed, should remain BUT, you need to let the Guardian know about it by doing the Reset Trim procedure as detailed in the Guardian manual. The same procedure should be done after everytime the amount of trim/subtrim is changed. The Guardian's Reset Trim procedure is to tell the Guardian that your neutral sticks postion contains some trims to add into considerations and NOT to interprete that amount of trim/subtrim as a command to turn or elevate.

As for your master gain affecting the control surface deflection as you change it, it could be caused by not doing the Reset Trim procedure and the Guardian is currently interpreting any trim as a command. Try performing the Reset Trim procedure first and see what happens. I know there are a few other ways this can happen depending in what mode (ie: 2D or 3D HH) you are in but let's do this one step at a time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busher View Post
Thanks for your help I will get back to the aircraft and see what is required to sort the trims etc.
Just put it back in a test plane My problems seem to stem from putting the unit upside down, and also that the unit seemed a bit reluctant to take a trim reset properly in this position. I have since put it the right way up and all the problems I had went away. I also don't recommend using velcro it seems to be able to shift about when held with velcro, but that may depend on types and quality of the tape. I now have it held with double sided tape.
The plane flys very well, I am not too sure about 2 d mode but 3 d is awesome fun. There is still a great deal of flying to be done but up to now all is good. I would like to thank you and all others for their help on this forum, I really like this product seems to work well and is easy to dial in in the air. 1 thought though i think a hardcase on the unit may be a bit better.

Thanks

Busher
Feb 03, 2013, 09:32 AM
Outlaw
I like 2D for beginners, 3D for advanced
Feb 03, 2013, 10:15 AM
Foam Temple Pilot
Deleted
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 09:03 PM.
Feb 03, 2013, 10:22 AM

delta glider

have anyone used it in a delta or plank glider?
Feb 03, 2013, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoflyer View Post
have anyone used it in a delta or plank glider?
Oh yes, and the Guardian works great. One is mounted right side up in a Superfly and the other is in a 40 inch wing span scratchbuilt delta up side down. All deltas have elevons so with the Guardian you delete radio mixes for elevons and use the in built elevon mixing in the Guardian.

Below are some videos and pictures.

LF Guardian more roll pitch yaw gain 8-27-12 (5 min 52 sec)

Evening Guardian flight in LF, 2nd flight new gain settings_8-26-12 (7 min 23 sec)

Superfly w-Guardian 7-29-12 1 (2 min 17 sec)
Last edited by Prof100; Feb 03, 2013 at 10:53 AM.
Feb 03, 2013, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busher View Post
My problems seem to stem from putting the unit upside down, and also that the unit seemed a bit reluctant to take a trim reset properly in this position.
They work fine "upside down" but there seems to be a "bug" when resetting "Level Pitch/Roll" with the sticks. Seems you have to do it at just the right time after power up.

Doing the "Level Pitch/Roll" thru your PC seems to work with no problem.
Feb 03, 2013, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.edwards View Post
They work fine "upside down" but there seems to be a "bug" when resetting "Level Pitch/Roll" with the sticks. Seems you have to do it at just the right time after power up.

Doing the "Level Pitch/Roll" thru your PC seems to work with no problem.
Possible thats what was wrong, I too see no reason why the unit would not function upside down either, but if there is a bug then hopefully it will be sorted in the future.
My installation works better with unit the right way up. and its easier to get to the pots. so its a win win. I am glad I swapped the unit around as from then on the job just got easier.

Quick Reply