Jan 24, 2013, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflyer
The receiver is a 6 chan HK Orange RX and the two extra channels are marked Gear and Aux1. So that's why I connected them as I did.
I know what you mean. I have a Fancy Foam 34" Indoor (flat wing) Freestyle. It has a 6 ch Orange rx (single aileron servo) with a Guardian and it gets flown outdoors. Your channels get set by what's available. The big thing is knowing the tx is doing what you expect. I also have a 34" airfoil wing Fancy Foam Freestyle. 3D, slightly heavier (12 oz flying weight), 2 aileron servos on a channel each, 7 ch orange rx, with a Guardian and 250 watts/lb that's a hoot in strong winds.

I wouldn't fuss much over 2D. 2D made my 3D foamie fly straight but little else. Just fought me. Guardians' progamming may not like the fact that ailerons ONLY roll the plane, rudder yaws the plane without rolling it etc. 3D Heading Hold however works great. I set the pots and Master Gain so flying fast with the Master Gain "centered" I'm just short of oscillation. Ailerons "flap" the easiest. That way I can "fly big" with a mid Master Gain setting and fly slow in close with a higher Master gain settting. There's plenty of range of adjustment. Have fun.
Last edited by t.edwards; Jan 24, 2013 at 01:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 24, 2013, 12:22 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Quote:
I have read through most of these 2955 posts but don't remember any comments that would answer my questions. So I apologize if this has already been covered.

I just got my Guardian 2D/3D and I have it installed on a foam profile plane, about 30 inch wingspan. It only has elevator and aileron controls, no rudder. My TX is a spectrum DX8. The elevator and aileron cables were connected so the corresponding signals go through the Guardian. I then connected the Mod cable from the Guardian to the Gear output of my RX, and connected the Gain cable to the Aux1 output of my RX. The Rud and Aux cables from the Guardian were left dangling.

Viewing the Monitor screen on my DX8 - when I set the Flap/Gyro switch to position 0 the monitor shows GER (Gear) to be +100%. With the switch in position 1 (center position), the monitor shows midpoint. With the switch in position 2, the monitor shows -100%.

The knob on the top right of the TX, marked Aux3 is used to adjust the master gain. With that knob turned fully counter-clockwise, the monitor shows Aux1 to be +100%. Turning the knob to it's center position shows the Aux1 to be centered. Turning the knob all the way clockwise and the Aux1 on the monitor goes to -100%. (This seems backwards to me, normally turning a knob clockwise increases the setting. Maybe there is a way to reverse this??)

OK, now for the real-world test. When I powered up my TX then my RX, there were some strange things going on but I finally got the Guardian set up like this. I set the Gain (Aux3 knob) to it's center position and I assume that is 50% master gain. I then set the individual gains of the aileron and elevator pots on the Guardian to a position where they seemed to do what they are supposed to do and there is no oscillations and no servo twitching when I set the plane down.

With the Flap/Gyro switch in the center position (1) the Guardian is turned off and the plane operates as nornal. When I move the switch to the 0 position (up) the Guardian comes to life in what certainly to me looks like the 2D mode. (The manual says this position puts it in 3D mode, so I'm confused by that).

But here's the kicker! When I flip the Flap/Gyro switch to the 2 postion (down), the ailerons rapidly move to full deflection and stay there until I set the switch back to the 1 (center) position, or 0 (up) position. So what have I done wrong here? That rapid, full drive to the end of the servo travel scares me. In flight that would mean instant destruction, but even on the bench, the movement and noise makes me jump! I have GOT to fix this.

Gus
I had something similar in one set-up.
It turned out that position 2 was 2D & I HAD FAILED TO DO A LEVEL + TRIM RESET.
Jan 24, 2013, 02:12 PM
[Removed by User
Last edited by Retiredtech; May 29, 2013 at 01:19 AM.
Jan 24, 2013, 02:57 PM
Closed Account

Alternative: A Potential Bug: Inverted Mounting?

A while back I posted a question about a previously working Guardian, when the model was flying in 3D and I switched to 2D, abruptly went inverted (perfectly level, just inverted.)

It turns out that this is a potential bug that will be corrected in a future firmware release.

APPARENT CAUSE: The Guardian is mounted inverted in the belly of my model (so the pots are still readily accessible) AND a "level/trim reset" (AKA single toggle between 2D/3D) takes place EARLY in the 15 second window. Early appears to be roughly within the first four or five seconds, IIRC.

WORKAROUND: Wait 'till near the end of the 15 second window (I've been waiting 'till just past 10 seconds) and then perform the toggle/level reset.

This seems to work, but the first time it happened, and I was able to repeat it, at the field, it sure increased my pucker factor. Fortunately, I was three mistakes high and when I messed up a maneuver and switched on 2D, rolling to level, albeit inverted, was OK, just disconcerting. :-)

On the bench, before resetting level near the END of the window, placing the model in a upright, level, attitude, then switching on the Guardian in 2D mode, would immediately displace the ailerons as it attempted to roll to an incorrect inverted level position. If I manually rolled the plane inverted, the ailerons neutralized...

I was grateful for EagleTree support when this happened. Apparently, when first setting up the model, I was slow in toggling the reset and hence I inadvertently was following the "workaround". After a few flights, I wanted to reset both trims and level, but this time I apparently was much quicker... :-)

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredtech
I suspect the plane has moved from the position it was in when you did the 'level/trim' setup. When in 2D mode, the Guardian seeks to find the position it was in (level flight) at that 'setup time', thus moving the control surfaces to a position required to accomplish this. Either that or the new ‘level/trim’ setup didn’t take.

RT
Jan 24, 2013, 03:19 PM
choochoo22, you wrote this: The fact that your flap settings appear on your GER line is unusual. It appears you have reassigned the knob to the aux1 channel and the flap switch to the gear channel in the switch assignments menu. This isn't what I would have done but it is not necessarily a problem. You should be able to see this in the switch assignments menu if you would like to verify.

Ah, I think I understand - that is that the the Flap/Gyro ( Aux1) switch was already assigned to Aux1 so I would not have had to go to that menu page and change the assignment. This is a brand new DX8 and I assumed that none of the switches were assigned. So I wasted time messing with it, making it weird, when I could have just left it alone and it would have been right. Live and learn.

After I got everything right, visually, I downloaded the program and proceeded to connect my Guardian to my PC with a USB to micro USB cable. But, no go, my PC could not "see" my Guardian. The cable I had was the charging cable for my cell phone and probably didn't have any signal wires in it.

I finally found a cable this morning, which looks like it will work. It better for the rip off price of $25.00! Haven't tried it yet. Assuming it works, and this program comes up, what should I look for and what settings should I make? Thanks!
Jan 24, 2013, 04:21 PM
The $25.00 cable worked just fine and worth it just to see the nice Artifical Horizon Display - how cool! The display of the current positions of my Pitch, Roll and Yaw settings is also nice. It's hard to see that little dot on those small pots.

One question: The program did NOT prompt me to update the current firmware. But when I clicked on the Firmware Update button at the upper right corner, a note shows up at the bottom of that screen which says "Click Here to Update Guardian 2D/3D Stabilizer to Firmware Version 1.17." But right above this note it says "Guardian 2D/3D Stabilizer Firmware Version 1.17" which tells me I already HAVE version 1.17, so I shouldn't HAVE to update it, right?

But the next line up says "Guardian not connected. Latest Firware Ver: 1.19." Are there TWO Guardians? This is a bit confusing.

Bottom line, I did NOT click on the Update Firmware button and I did NOT make any changes to anything else.Should I have? Neat program!
Jan 24, 2013, 04:27 PM
Rick
Quote:
choochoo22, you wrote this: The fact that your flap settings appear on your GER line is unusual. It appears you have reassigned the knob to the aux1 channel and the flap switch to the gear channel in the switch assignments menu. This isn't what I would have done but it is not necessarily a problem. You should be able to see this in the switch assignments menu if you would like to verify.

Ah, I think I understand - that is that the the Flap/Gyro ( Aux1) switch was already assigned to Aux1 so I would not have had to go to that menu page and change the assignment. This is a brand new DX8 and I assumed that none of the switches were assigned. So I wasted time messing with it, making it weird, when I could have just left it alone and it would have been right. Live and learn.

Exactly, although you did still need to assign the knob to the gear channel.

After I got everything right, visually, I downloaded the program and proceeded to connect my Guardian to my PC with a USB to micro USB cable. But, no go, my PC could not "see" my Guardian. The cable I had was the charging cable for my cell phone and probably didn't have any signal wires in it.

That's true, some cables intended for charging do not have all the wires.

I finally found a cable this morning, which looks like it will work. It better for the rip off price of $25.00! It should have been more like $5.

Haven't tried it yet. Assuming it works, and this program comes up, what should I look for and what settings should I make? Thanks!

You shouldn't have to do anything, the defaults should be fine. It's cool to see the horizon display move when you tilt the Guardian. You might check the 3D page to be sure heading hold and direct rate are active.
You should be all set now, go forth and fly Good luck.
Jan 24, 2013, 04:31 PM
Rick
Quote:
The $25.00 cable worked just fine and worth it just to see the nice Artifical Horizon Display - how cool! The display of the current positions of my Pitch, Roll and Yaw settings is also nice. It's hard to see that little dot on those small pots.

One question: The program did NOT prompt me to update the current firmware. But when I clicked on the Firmware Update button at the upper right corner, a note shows up at the bottom of that screen which says "Click Here to Update Guardian 2D/3D Stabilizer to Firmware Version 1.17." But right above this note it says "Guardian 2D/3D Stabilizer Firmware Version 1.17" which tells me I already HAVE version 1.17, so I shouldn't HAVE to update it, right?

But the next line up says "Guardian not connected. Latest Firware Ver: 1.19." Are there TWO Guardians? This is a bit confusing.

Bottom line, I did NOT click on the Update Firmware button and I did NOT make any changes to anything else.Should I have? Neat program!
Wrote the last post before I saw this.

It's been a while since I last messed with firmware updates so I'm not sure of the current status. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. Go fly and enjoy, you've earned it.
Jan 24, 2013, 05:05 PM

Info Request

Under the Advanced Tab of the Gardian software, there is an option to change the Servo Deflections (in microseconds). Could someone explane the purpose of this option? I set my servo deflections with Travel Adjust.
Jan 24, 2013, 05:57 PM
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daler
Under the Advanced Tab of the Gardian software, there is an option to change the Servo Deflections (in microseconds). Could someone explane the purpose of this option? I set my servo deflections with Travel Adjust.
Travel adjust only affects the deflection from transmitter commands. When Guardian issues commands to the servos it uses the deflection limits set in the software. If, for example, you have a servo that binds at maximum deflection and you fix that with travel limits, it could still bind if Guardian issues a max deflection signal.
Jan 24, 2013, 06:07 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22
Travel adjust only affects the deflection from transmitter commands. When Guardian issues commands to the servos it uses the deflection limits set in the software. If, for example, you have a servo that binds at maximum deflection and you fix that with travel limits, it could still bind if Guardian issues a max deflection signal.
Slight addition: this "feature" is not Guardian specific, but tends to happen to channels affected by gyro-type devices in general. Many gyros have a similar maximum deflection adjust.
Jan 25, 2013, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daler
It establishes a servo travel limit Guardian can't exceed. My feelings are that the default setting should be "on".

I use it and set it to mirror the servo travels I have set in my tx. I don't want Guardian exceeding the limits I've set for my servos/control surfaces.
Jan 25, 2013, 12:04 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Check Bargain stores for Micro USB cables. I found one locally with cheap cables.
Jan 25, 2013, 05:54 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin

"Knobs" to adjust Guardian mode and/or gain on-board an airplane

For those interested in having a "knob" on-board an airplane to adjust the Guardian mode and/or gain, either temporarily or permanently, perhaps due to a lack of channels on the Tx:
There is an "Esky servo tester" (EK2-0907 ?) that weighs about 1/2 ounce and has a knob to adjust signal to an attached servo (to test the servo).

One can put this or another similar "servo testor", hooking it up to the power for the servos and either the mode or gain line.
On the gain line, turning the knob can adjust the master gain control.
On the mode line, turning the knob can set the Guardian for 2D or off or 3D.
This can let one also reset level and/or trims.
This can also let one tell the Guardian to enter the mode to program it via the Tx sticks.
Jan 25, 2013, 05:59 PM
FPV junkie
hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama
For those interested in having a "knob" on-board an airplane to adjust the Guardian mode and/or gain, either temporarily or permanently, perhaps due to a lack of channels on the Tx:
There is an "Esky servo tester" (EK2-0907 ?) that weighs about 1/2 ounce and has a knob to adjust signal to an attached servo (to test the servo).

One can put this or another similar "servo testor", hooking it up to the power for the servos and either the mode or gain line.
On the gain line, turning the knob can adjust the master gain control.
On the mode line, turning the knob can set the Guardian for 2D or off or 3D.
This can let one also reset level and/or trims.
This can also let one tell the Guardian to enter the mode to program it via the Tx sticks.

Quick Reply