Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:05 PM
Tim Green is offline
Find More Posts by Tim Green
Registered User

Guardian output voltages


Does the Guardian regulate the input voltages (from 4.5v to 16v max) to a fixed output voltage?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:44 PM
Prof100 is offline
Find More Posts by Prof100
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Green View Post
Does the Guardian regulate the input voltages (from 4.5v to 16v max) to a fixed output voltage?
Guardian is not a voltage regulator.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:36 PM
billpa is offline
Find More Posts by billpa
billpa's Avatar
Prof100, great feedback on the manual, thanks. We have added that specific symptom of not resetting trims in the "Troubleshooting" section of the manual, and that update will be posted ASAP. We have tried to stress heavily in the manual the need to reset Guardian trims after retrimming your plane, as that will generally provide the best flight experience.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:09 PM
flightdeck is offline
Find More Posts by flightdeck
Registered User
Probably has a voltage regulator on the board.Most do.Its when you over volt a regulator that it doesn't like and goes "poof".Same symptom of putting a 3s lipo to power a Turnigy 9X transmitter, it burns out the regulator
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:55 PM
Prof100 is offline
Find More Posts by Prof100
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightdeck View Post
Probably has a voltage regulator on the board.Most do.Its when you over volt a regulator that it doesn't like and goes "poof".Same symptom of putting a 3s lipo to power a Turnigy 9X transmitter, it burns out the regulator
Yes, it probably has some level of regulation assuming the power source is close to the regulated voltage. It would not be advisable to power it with a 12 volt battery.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:05 PM
Prof100 is offline
Find More Posts by Prof100
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
Prof100, great feedback on the manual, thanks. We have added that specific symptom of not resetting trims in the "Troubleshooting" section of the manual, and that update will be posted ASAP. We have tried to stress heavily in the manual the need to reset Guardian trims after retrimming your plane, as that will generally provide the best flight experience.
That's good to add it to troubleshooting but in the section that says you need to reset Guardian trims you should have one sentence explaining why Guardian trims need to be reset.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:28 PM
WILLIAM M is offline
Find More Posts by WILLIAM M
GOTTA FLY STRIGHT UP
WILLIAM M's Avatar
Gadget

Thank you for the reply.
I should have purchased the 2D3D.
I think I will order 2 from Hobbyking USA warehouse. $63.99. best deal I have found.
anybody find a better price?


Bill
Last edited by WILLIAM M; Oct 05, 2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: remove shipping note
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:56 PM
Flyindude is offline
Find More Posts by Flyindude
Dirtnap Certified
Flyindude's Avatar
I would just buy from ET, because the customer support will be 400% better...
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:35 PM
Prof100 is offline
Find More Posts by Prof100
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyindude View Post
I would just buy from ET, because the customer support will be 400% better...
Hobbyking sells the Eagletree Guardian. I know, I bought two, and they are legitimate. I don't know where he gets free shipping but maybe he will tell us. I actually bought them when they first hit Hobbyking and sold for $50 each.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:12 AM
hendrnk is online now
Find More Posts by hendrnk
An Aussie in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightdeck View Post
Probably has a voltage regulator on the board.Most do.Its when you over volt a regulator that it doesn't like and goes "poof".Same symptom of putting a 3s lipo to power a Turnigy 9X transmitter, it burns out the regulator
I have been using a 3S lipo for some time on 3 different TX9 transmitters with no issues.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:15 AM
abhaypawar is offline
Find More Posts by abhaypawar
Registered User

Anyone using the Guardian on a Nitro / Gas plane


I have been trying to use the guardian on my niro planes, without success.
The hi-frequency vibration is interfering with the functioning of the guardian.
I have use many different mounting option and tapes, also gyro mounting tapes to reduce the vibration, with no success.

Has anyone successfully mounted the guardian on a nitro / gas airplane?
If yes can you kindly post their experience.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:29 AM
jj604 is online now
Find More Posts by jj604
ancora imparo
jj604's Avatar
Bill, can I endorse Prof's comment.

The one thing that is obvious about the Guardian manual is you cannot get a clear understanding of WHY things work the way they do.

Not a complaint just a suggestion.

I still don't know exactly when it is doing rate (inertial) stuff, when it is doing heading (absolute) stuff and when it is doing some combo of both (the accelerometer/gyro fusion circus). That annoys me but it really doesn't matter.

What really matters is understanding what the effect of changes are and WHY. The trim as constant deflection effect is a classic.

The Guardian works just fine but it would be really good if you could get someone not as close to the product as the developers and beta testers to do a sanity check on the instructions.

There's a guy in Michigan who would be really good if you could talk him into it.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
That's good to add it to troubleshooting but in the section that says you need to reset Guardian trims you should have one sentence explaining why Guardian trims need to be reset.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:05 AM
Prof100 is offline
Find More Posts by Prof100
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Bill, can I endorse Prof's comment.

The one thing that is obvious about the Guardian manual is you cannot get a clear understanding of WHY things work the way they do.

Not a complaint just a suggestion.

I still don't know exactly when it is doing rate (inertial) stuff, when it is doing heading (absolute) stuff and when it is doing some combo of both (the accelerometer/gyro fusion circus). That annoys me but it really doesn't matter.

What really matters is understanding what the effect of changes are and WHY. The trim as constant deflection effect is a classic.

The Guardian works just fine but it would be really good if you could get someone not as close to the product as the developers and beta testers to do a sanity check on the instructions.

There's a guy in Michigan who would be really good if you could talk him into it.

John
John,

Not so fast, you could help too. I just look at intructions to include the what, why and how. This is especially important to new technolgies that require a grasp of how the technology works. I was the first at my club to have a Guardian and members were amazed while others thought of it as cheating. So far five have bought a Guardian. Two fly with them regularly. One has it as a shiney object on his workbench (afreaid to use it), and the other went out and upgraded to a DX8 so he could use the master gain control, but needed help setting it up. Another tried it and didn't like it and refused to tweak it any more and pulled it out.

I find users ask questions as to what it does (i.e., its functions), why you have to do what you do to set it up, and how to set it up. Some over engineer the level flight setup and use a digital level but fail to realize the angle of attack may not be level on the fuselage.

Bill
Last edited by Prof100; Oct 04, 2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:17 AM
Flyindude is offline
Find More Posts by Flyindude
Dirtnap Certified
Flyindude's Avatar
@abhay
I suggest you post your complete setup options here so others can review. Sounds to me like your mounting isn't the cause. Could be a range of other things e.g. gain settings etc. Do static checks work on the ground when you manipulate the plane in 2D mode for example?
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:32 AM
abhaypawar is offline
Find More Posts by abhaypawar
Registered User
I have the gains on the guardian turned up to 100% on all POTs, and the remote gain is set to 50%. On the ground will the engine turned off, everything works fine.
Once the engine is turned on, and powered up the guardian starts to behave erratically, the aileron move with out any movement of the plane.
I assumed this will not happen in the air, and tried it out at a good recoverable altitude, and the plane starts to roll.
So wanted some pointers from people who have mounted the guardian on a Nitro or Gas Plane.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Can I control Guardian stabilizer with DX6i? njwxyz Eagle Tree Systems 9 Jun 02, 2014 01:17 PM
Discussion GPS 2D Plots incomplete, 3D OK jackerbes Eagle Tree Systems 1 Oct 23, 2011 10:42 PM
Discussion Premier 1st generation, Gen 2 Vector unit, 2D or 3D motor unit lanternfly RC Paragliders and Kites 0 Oct 05, 2011 10:42 PM
Data 2d or 3d wing ribs? Marty7n Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 56 Sep 22, 2011 05:06 PM
Discussion 3View to 3D to 2d techasist CAD/CAM 0 Mar 27, 2011 01:19 AM