Oct 10, 2021, 12:11 PM
In 3DHH, the rudder is only used by the G to maintain the heading. In 2D mode, you have the option of the G coordinating rudder in turns, but that's a different story.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2021, 12:15 PM
Mach One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintr
In 3DHH, the rudder is only used by the G to maintain the heading. In 2D mode, you have the option of the G coordinating rudder in turns, but that's a different story.
That's my concern in 3DHH. Will it fight the roll turn if the rudder is not applied?
Oct 10, 2021, 03:23 PM
Only if the roll causes some yawing motion; otherwise, the wing just tilts. Guess it depends on the wing configuration on whether a roll induces a yaw.
Oct 11, 2021, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo
That's my concern in 3DHH. Will it fight the roll turn if the rudder is not applied?
My somewhat limited experience with the G in 3DHH mode is that rudder doesn't fight the roll, but the 3DHH mode does fight the "turn". What I mean is that if you are flying most aircraft and roll left or right, you'll get the roll action and then the plane will "come around" naturally because some of the lift of the wing is now bringing the plane "around the corner".

Sorry if this seems too basic, but of course, any experienced pilot knows that if we don't add some elevator, the plane will also drop altitude (in non-stabilized flight). If we want a "sharp turn", we can bank heavily and add a lot of elevator.

My point is that if you are in 3DHH mode and simply roll to one side and then release the sticks, you will essentially get a knife edge. It won't truly turn the corner unless you add elevator.

Good rule of thumb, always keep a "non-stabilized" flight mode easy to get to (or at least a setting you know works well). That way if you get into trouble, you can quickly switch back to safety.

Another way of getting out of trouble is to have a set of reduced gains on a switch. For example, on my delta winged EDF "macrospot" I use the landing gear switch, since it's so easy to access, for two preset gain settings. "Gear Down" setting is higher gains I can use at slower speeds, and "Gear Up" is for high speed, which is necessary to prevent oscillation.
Oct 11, 2021, 04:24 PM
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo
When you apply any aileron or elevator input in 3DHH, the "lock" on all axes, including rudder, are disabled. So no, the rudder won't fight the turn while stick commands are being applied. As has been pointed out, if the sticks are centered while banked, the G will use all three axes to hold the attitude, that is the main functionality of 3DHH.
Oct 11, 2021, 05:46 PM
Mach One
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22
When you apply any aileron or elevator input in 3DHH, the "lock" on all axes, including rudder, are disabled. So no, the rudder won't fight the turn while stick commands are being applied. As has been pointed out, if the sticks are centered while banked, the G will use all three axes to hold the attitude, that is the main functionality of 3DHH.
OK - thank you. I must say so far I have tried other stabilization systems and IMO non match the simplicity and effectiveness of the Guardian.
Yesterday, 06:14 AM
anyone got a 2d/3d guardian stb module. looking to buy. pm me. thanx
Yesterday, 06:24 AM
can any one explain how you set up flaperons on Guardian on a 4 channel bush plane
Yesterday, 07:42 AM
Mach One
This Guardian stab module continues to amaze me. I crashed a jet in the deep woods back in June and finally recovered the model yesterday. To my amazement that G module still works perfectly on the bench! This is the second time I have had a model out in the woods for a longtime and the G still works - it even rained on the model and etc. I hope this guardian shows up somewhere else - I can’t believe Eagle Tree would simply just close shop and not attempt to sell their design to some other firm to continue..
Yesterday, 07:39 PM
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Reacher
can any one explain how you set up flaperons on Guardian on a 4 channel bush plane
First of all, any flaperon setup requires separate channels for each aileron. If you literally have only 4 channels you would have to give up something, probably rudder. Hopefully you have a 5th channel available. Plus, of course, you want 2 channels for the Guardian.

Program a control on your transmitter to operate flaps on one channel. Connect the aileron channel to the Guardian aileron input and the flap channel to the G aux input. Connect the second aileron to the G aux output. Connect ele and rudd normally. In the PC app, check the flaperon box.

That's pretty much it, although you will likely need to play around with polarities a bit to get things moving in the right direction.

That's how to do it but my advice would be; don't. When I first got a programmable radio I put flaperons on every capable plane because I could; glow planes, electric planes, slope gliders, including a Cub on floats (bush plane?). What I eventually concluded was that none of them benefited noticeable from the flaperons but all suffered noticeably from poor roll control when flaps were deployed on landing. By all means go ahead and try it and draw your own conclusion.
Yesterday, 07:59 PM
"Some do, some don't"
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22
First of all, any flaperon setup requires separate channels for each aileron. If you literally have only 4 channels you would have to give up something, probably rudder. Hopefully you have a 5th channel available. Plus, of course, you want 2 channels for the Guardian.

Program a control on your transmitter to operate flaps on one channel. Connect the aileron channel to the Guardian aileron input and the flap channel to the G aux input. Connect the second aileron to the G aux output. Connect ele and rudd normally. In the PC app, check the flaperon box.

That's pretty much it, although you will likely need to play around with polarities a bit to get things moving in the right direction.

That's how to do it but my advice would be; don't. When I first got a programmable radio I put flaperons on every capable plane because I could; glow planes, electric planes, slope gliders, including a Cub on floats (bush plane?). What I eventually concluded was that none of them benefited noticeable from the flaperons but all suffered noticeably from poor roll control when flaps were deployed on landing. By all means go ahead and try it and draw your own conclusion.
Wish I had heard and heeded that advice in the past...

o_c

Quick Reply