This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 16, 2019, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22
Winter, did you do any testing on the mode selection range. I would be interested in whatever you found. The tests I did support my earlier, less detailed, observations but this is an issue that has come up from time to time over the years from different people. It could be just a self perpetuating rumor, or it may have had some basis in earlier firmware, or perhaps my tests missed something.
I adjusted the mode switch ranges years ago, when I had issues with the G not responding well to the full scale inputs (Futaba full scale, anyway); reducing the end points made the problem go away, so I never went back with the newer ones I have. I suppose it could be the one I bought first had a problem with the mode input detector, and the rest are OK with the values I have set. It's been long enough that I don't know which one was the original, so testing would be tedious, as I have several. If, however, I do reset the end points, and none have the issue, that would point to the original firmware, unless the hardware issue has somehow repaired itself, maybe due to the resets I'm sure they have all received at one time or another.

Since there are unlikely to be any flying days for a while, I may test them all, one at a time, if I have little else to do over winter.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2019, 12:45 AM
Mach One

Rudder move back and forth

I maidened my 1600mm Duke B60 model which has twin counter rotating motors with a 1600mm wing span. The maiden was nice and uneventful except we had 10 to 15 mph winds. The plane wobbled and the tail moved left to right and so did the ailerons. Is this a low gain issue or too high of a gain?
Latest blog entry: ESC and BEC Steup
Nov 17, 2019, 02:28 AM
Rick
Most likely too high.
Nov 17, 2019, 02:59 PM
Mach One
Quote:
Most likely too high.
I thought so as well, but for some reason when I turned the pots to 100% on Yaw and Roll she was rock solid - that is the reason I asked the question. I am perplexed.
Nov 17, 2019, 03:59 PM
Rick
What does it do when the Guardian is off?
Nov 17, 2019, 07:29 PM
Mach One
Quote:
What does it do when the Guardian is off?
I did not see a major difference as it was windy and I could not say. So in general if the gain is too low what happens to the control surface and what is the ensuing reaction on the plane? I understand when we have too much gain and the axis hunts - but what is the reaction for low gain in a windy day ? Does it just react late ??
Nov 17, 2019, 07:58 PM
Rick
With gain too low it just reacts weakly.

When off; you couldn't see any difference between gain low, wobbling, or gain high, solid?

Do you have a remote gain knob?

How does it react when testing in your hand?

What mode are you seeing the wobbling?
Nov 17, 2019, 09:45 PM
Mach One
Quote:
With gain too low it just reacts weakly.

When off; you couldn't see any difference between gain low, wobbling, or gain high, solid?

Do you have a remote gain knob?

How does it react when testing in your hand?

What mode are you seeing the wobbling?
To answer your questions:

If I recall, when off she calmed down, but I am not sure if it was the wind calming down or the controls. Yes, I have a remote knob (will experiment with the increase and decrease - but if my pots are at 100% - will the gain knob increase do anything more?) I fly in 3D Head Hold and thats when I noticed the wobbling most. Here is a clip - its hard to see but on take off you can see the tail going back and forth and on a couple of occasions the cameraman managed to focus on the model. The vibrations were nothing to affect the gyro - it was the tape on the prop coming loose. I think I need to go out on a calm day and redo this whole tuning to get a better understanding of what was going on.

Duke B60 (3 min 22 sec)
Nov 17, 2019, 10:11 PM
Rick
As you said, hard to tell, but that didn't look like the typical stabilizer oscillation. Perhaps the reason it got better with higher gain is that the Guardian was overcoming something else.

The master gain knob will attenuate the gain. With knob and pots at max you get 100%, reducing knob or pots will reduce gain. The main advantage of the gain knob is so it can be adjusted in flight, which you should definitely try. Also pay close attention to how it behaves when G is off vs on. Max gain is too much for most models in my experience. I usually start out with pots at max and knob at 50% and adjust from there by what happens in flight.
Nov 18, 2019, 06:39 AM
Blue Skies
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo
To answer your questions:

If I recall, when off she calmed down, but I am not sure if it was the wind calming down or the controls. Yes, I have a remote knob (will experiment with the increase and decrease - but if my pots are at 100% - will the gain knob increase do anything more?) I fly in 3D Head Hold and thats when I noticed the wobbling most. Here is a clip - its hard to see but on take off you can see the tail going back and forth and on a couple of occasions the cameraman managed to focus on the model. The vibrations were nothing to affect the gyro - it was the tape on the prop coming loose. I think I need to go out on a calm day and redo this whole tuning to get a better understanding of what was going on.

https://youtu.be/yydTwItJH8o
The only oscillation I can see on my little 11" laptop screen was on the final approach. Most of the rest of the flight was too out of focus for me. But the oscillations I saw remind me of the wind moving my plane around (gains too low), not the usual higher frequency oscillations from too much gain on a surface. If it's rock solid with gains maxed out, fly it that way, and then increase speed as much as possible. If you get some oscillations then, reduce gains with your knob and see if it stops. That would confirm the gains settings for you. Sometimes the wind can be too much for the stab to correct, no matter how high the gains are.
Don
Nov 22, 2019, 07:12 PM
jean-claude Terrettaz
just bought this gyro for an SR71
can someone explain me in simple term how to figure ELEVON with the Gardian : Im using a DMSS receiver an a 3 position switch on a JR28X
Thanks
Nov 23, 2019, 07:36 PM
Rick
I would suggest reading through the New User's Guide on my blog page.

The quick answer is to setup your radio as a conventional ail/ele setup and turn on the elevon mixing in the Guardian.
Nov 25, 2019, 02:58 PM

map gain (gear) channel 5 to knob

I have to ask have mode on aux 3 mapped to switch F working correctly. Plugged gain lead from guardian to gear in receiver. How do I assign gear channel to gain and map to knob next to switch F on my dx8
Nov 25, 2019, 06:05 PM
Rick
It's been a couple of years but I think on my old DX8 the switch assignments were in the system menu.
Dec 03, 2019, 02:34 PM

gain on 3 position switch

Using a dx8 2nd gen....I reassigned master gain from knob to 3 position switch to allow different gain settings for different flight modes. Not sure how to use the switch settings in flight mode set up. If I choose throttle stick for 3 gain settings high for bottom 3rd, medium for 2nd third and low for top 3rd of stick movement how do I map that....Also thought I'd like to use 2d mode switch as flight mode position to set high rates / no expo and medium gain automatically when enter 2d. As you can see first time using flight modes...

Quick Reply