This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 13, 2019, 02:13 AM
I seem to have sorted it, did firmware update, factory reset, gyro reset now its working as it should
to remove ads between posts
Oct 13, 2019, 09:41 AM
[Did you try the New User's Guide on my blog page? It lays out the steps you need and answers many questions.

There are two ways to set up a 3D launch. They both work, dealer's choice.
While pointing the plane where you want it to go, activate 3DHH.
With 3DHH active, point the plane where you want it to go and wiggle the right stick.
Either way, you should always verify the HH is active before launching by moving the plane and observing at least one surface moving correctly. Note that taxiing with the rudder does not break the attitude lock on the other axes. Not an issue with hand launch.]

Thanks for your reply Choochoo!
I thought I had read the Guide thoroughly but perhaps missed the more recent updates. I was admittedly overwhelmed with the scope and detail.
Ready to give it a Go!
Dave
Last edited by Grumman Boy; Oct 13, 2019 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Cleaning
Oct 13, 2019, 01:43 PM
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Reacher
I seem to have sorted it, did firmware update, factory reset, gyro reset now its working as it should
Likely the prior owner had set some custom limits in the Guardian. The reset would clear them. Anyway, glad it's fixed.
Oct 13, 2019, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22
Likely the prior owner had set some custom limits in the Guardian. The reset would clear them. Anyway, glad it's fixed.
Thanks Choochoo, yes glad its sorted, i just figured it was not usable as it was so worth doing all the resets, glad i did as really looking forward to getting this beauty flying and a Guardian will be icing on the cake
Oct 21, 2019, 05:54 PM
Where did that tree come from

Grandson first flight

I took my 6 years old grandson flying today for the first time. He has some time on a simulator. I was trying to set my radios up to buddy box with him, but for some reason the two radios would not work with the Guardian. So I said and went flying old school. The plane he was flying is not a trainer. I launched it and then set it to 2D mode and handed him the radio.

He burned three batteries packs today and we took the plane back home in one piece.

EDIT: I found the problem with my radio that was causing the problem with the buddy box setup. Now I can buddy box with him next time out.
Last edited by kid at 55; Oct 22, 2019 at 09:17 AM.
Oct 22, 2019, 01:36 AM
And that's why grandads are just the greatest...
Oct 22, 2019, 08:44 AM
Where did that tree come from
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliWobbles
And that's why grandads are just the greatest...
I hope he goes after rc flying like he did with fishing this year. I have a lot of rc stuff to past on to him when I'm gone.
Nov 05, 2019, 05:05 PM

A BIG Thank You.

I will be installing my first Guardian after trying other flight stabilizers. I have read through this forum and Rickís excellent userís guide. Thank you Rick for creating the guide. Absolutely wonderful for a newbie to the Guardian. Also, a BIG Thank You to all those who have contributed such helpful information to the forum. Your research and time involved in doing so is greatly appreciated.
Nov 08, 2019, 10:32 AM

Question on disabling the gyro

I have a Guardian gyro in an FMS T-28 that I have not flown in about a year. The Gyro was installed probably three or four years ago and the plane has not been flown a lot.

On Wednesday, I took it out to fly and checked the controls and ensured everything was working. I also checked the gyro switch settings. I switched to Heading Hold and the correct indicator light worked. I then set it to 2D and it flashed the single light as expected. I then turned the gyro off and the single light kept flashing. I almost didn't fly the plane but figured since the control surfaces were working as I moved the plane I was good.

I took off and the plane didn't really fly that smoothly but I attributed that to my not flying it for a year. However, I thought I better land to get re-oriented and check it out again.

The oncoming rain that wasn't supposed to start for a few more hours hit early, so I did not fly it or anything else again.

Is my Gyro defective? Is there anything I can do to correct this? It was originally set up on a DX8, then Dx9 and is now on an Ix12. I copied the file from the Dx9 to the Ix12.

Thanks
Nov 08, 2019, 10:50 AM
Here’s how I’d resolve the doubt: set it up as if entirely new. The gyro has some self diagnostic capacity, enough to ensure a safe flight. Worrying about the airframe is one thing, third party property and persons another! Now that the FAA can ding us for reckless operation, I would suggest you do the prudent thing. Remove it, or reinstall it.
Nov 08, 2019, 12:31 PM
I had an interesting thing happen when I was flying several days ago.

I was flying in 2D mode, and did a knife edge.
Yes you can do a knife edge in 2D, I've done it lots of times.

Suddenly the plane turned hard left right toward me.
Fortunately I was able to recover control of the the plane , and fly it safely for the rest of the battery.

Can anyone explain what happened.
I think the Guardian suddenly commanded the turn, it wasn't me.
All controls were working perfectly after the incident so it must have been the Guardian.
A knife edge is a cross controlled maneuver so the plane is on the edge of being out of control.
What happened?
Nov 08, 2019, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpmcdo
I then set it to 2D and it flashed the single light as expected. I then turned the gyro off and the single light kept flashing. I almost didn't fly the plane but figured since the control surfaces were working as I moved the plane I was good.

Is my Gyro defective? Is there anything I can do to correct this? It was originally set up on a DX8, then Dx9 and is now on an Ix12. I copied the file from the Dx9 to the Ix12.

Thanks
I think you need to review the settings for the switch controlling the G; the difference in pulse width between 2D and OFF may be too close, causing the G to not see the change. What values to use depend on your transmitter.
Nov 08, 2019, 10:30 PM
Rick
@clearprop88
@Jpmcdo

Start by using the servo monitor screen on your radio to insure you are sending the right values on the mode and gain channels and the LED on the G is responding correctly.
Nov 09, 2019, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22
@clearprop88
@Jpmcdo

Start by using the servo monitor screen on your radio to insure you are sending the right values on the mode and gain channels and the LED on the G is responding correctly.
The G was working perfectly, and I was in 2D mode.
I always set the gain at roughly below half on the dials, and at half on my TX gain dial.
Nov 09, 2019, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88
The G was working perfectly, and I was in 2D mode.
I always set the gain at roughly below half on the dials, and at half on my TX gain dial.
Did you look at the mode channel? It needs to have clear spacing between the positions, but not go too close to the limits on either end.

Quick Reply