Jan 16, 2020, 04:17 AM
Concerning dual rates:
In 2D mode (auto level) always choose 100% for Aileron, Elevator. You can combine it with a higher Expo to smoothen the curve.

In 3D mode the plane will be much more volatile, so often lower dual rates help.

The lowest dual rates I have in "gyro off" mode, because you don't have any gyro intercation at all.

My reference plane is always the Hobbyzone Delta brushless converted.
The differences between the flight modes is enormous.

2D mode: 100% dual rate 50% Expo
Gyro off: 35% dual rate 60% Expo
3D mode: 60% dual rate 60% Expo

Other planes probably need different values. It also often depends on the size of the plane. The named Delta Ray is small (800 mm) and therefor very volatile.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2020, 11:45 AM
Should be getting mine today. Hopefully, the set up not too daunting.
Jan 16, 2020, 06:01 PM
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by dochoot
Should be getting mine today. Hopefully, the set up not too daunting.
Work through the New User's Guide on my blog page and all will be fine, and not daunting.
Jan 16, 2020, 08:59 PM
Ok, I will check it out.
Jan 20, 2020, 04:04 PM
Minnesota

3 way switch not changing mode?

Trying to setup the Guardian on Futaba 9C using the SW-G (3way) and I get absolutely no effect - unit stays in 2D mode from power on. Don't see any settings in TX to change except for the Gyro but it appears it is just for a Futaba unit - changes I did make had no effect??
Jan 20, 2020, 06:05 PM
Rick
Check your tx servo monitor screen to make sure the switch you're using is changing the chosen channel -100>0>+100. Make sure your Guardian mode wire is plugged into that channel and is plugged correctly, eg not backwards.

Make sure the mode selection in the PC app is not set for 2D on all positions. The default is 2D off 3D but that could have been changed. Or just do a factory reset to reset everything to defaults, generally a good way to start an installation.

Make sure the white 8 wire plug is fully inserted. It sometimes feels like it is when it is not so pull it out and reinsert fully. Make sure the wire marked MOD is the only single wire on the top row on that plug, next to the 3 AIL wires. It occasionally happens that the harness wires are marked wrong.

Follow the procedures in the New User's Guide on my blog page (click on my username in this post).
Jan 21, 2020, 09:25 AM
Minnesota

Got it!

Thanks for the info - forgot all about the servo feature, don't usually mess much with the TX settings. Not overly sure what I did after making a number of changes but the servo graph is showing that I am getting 3 signals on my 3 way switch now. Maybe it is time start thinking of updating my radio ... but it works and I am a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" kinda guy - and at my age, if it lasted the last 20 years it should be good till the end

Well it is still not working - am seeing the signals on the servo monitor but nothing happens when "mod wire" is plugged into channel 8. Did put a servo tester on the guardian and I can get it to change modes, hooked up servo directly to ch 8 and nothing happens in either switch position, tried another RX and still no output response on ch 8? It is like the TX is outputting the correct signals but the RX (2 of em) are not recognizing them. Got me stumped!
Last edited by butchn; Jan 21, 2020 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Update
Jan 21, 2020, 04:20 PM
Rick
If your rx is not responding to the tx it's clearly a radio issue. I'm not familiar with that radio so I don't have much to add to your 20 years experience with it.

You might try checking all the other channels and at least one known good servo to see if that adds any insight. Also, are all channels working on other models? Another place to start with unexpected radio behavior is to reset the model memory to defaults and use only minimal settings directly related to the suspect behavior. In this case just see if ch8 moves with the defaults, then assign the switch and check it again. If that works, rebuild the model setup, checking periodically to see if you have re-introduced the problem. If only the one channel is misbehaving you might try asking for help in a thread for that radio or Futaba radios.
Jan 21, 2020, 08:26 PM
ancora imparo
Also something so obvious I once overlooked it.

It is an 8 channel receiver?
I once used a 7 channel receiver that had 8 sets of servo headers (one was for power only) with an 8 channel transmitter and had a similar problem till the penny dropped.
And some transmitters can be set to output different numbers of channels. Not sure if your Futaba is one.

Bottom line is that Rick is correct. There is nothing wrong with your Guardian from your trouble shooting. It's a Tx or Rx problem.
Putting a regular servo on the channel that is changing Guardian mode and watching the reaction is always the definitive test of the radio link.

Did you try assigning a different switch to channel 8? One possibility is a faulty Tx switch connection or faulty switch.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22
If your rx is not responding to the tx it's clearly a radio issue. I'm not familiar with that radio so I don't have much to add to your 20 years experience with it.

You might try checking all the other channels and at least one known good servo to see if that adds any insight. Also, are all channels working on other models? Another place to start with unexpected radio behavior is to reset the model memory to defaults and use only minimal settings directly related to the suspect behavior. In this case just see if ch8 moves with the defaults, then assign the switch and check it again. If that works, rebuild the model setup, checking periodically to see if you have re-introduced the problem. If only the one channel is misbehaving you might try asking for help in a thread for that radio or Futaba radios.
Jan 22, 2020, 06:09 PM
Minnesota
The light bulb finally went on this morning - yes the 9C is a 9 channel TX but I have a TM8 2.4ghz module that outputs only 7 channels - DUH!. Since I am getting 2D mode on channel 8 on the RX when powered up my plan is to go ahead and leave it and use the Variable Rate Knob to change the gain so I can turn it off if I want, it is in a B17 so I don't think I will need the 3D mode anyway.

Haven't tested it yet but am also thinking that if I reverse channel 8 I can probably switch it to 3D ... we'll see what happens.
Thanks
Jan 22, 2020, 08:51 PM
Rick
You might also consider Center Stick Stabilization. CSS is designed for situations like this where there is no mode channel. When the sticks are centered it self-levels like 2D but if you apply a lot of stick the stabilization fades out so you can loop & roll. In a B17

You can also get clever and Y your mode to something else, like gear, so when gear goes down it switches to 2D.

You can also swap the gain channel for mode. Once you get the gain in the ballpark you don't generally need to mess with it unless you are flying something with a very wide speed range, like a 3d hover kind of plane, not a B17.

All in all though your plan is good. Just let it default to 2D and lower the gain when you don't want it. Your choice, there are options.
Jan 22, 2020, 08:55 PM
I am planing on putting a Guardian in a 9 oz airplane with two 9 g servos and a 10 amp E S C with a 1 amp B E C. My question is at what point does the Guardian brown out? John
Jan 22, 2020, 09:52 PM
Rick
Despite the spec the actual brown out point is lower than most receivers, somewhere in the 2.2V range. Don't worry about it.

PS: That said, I read your post again and a 1A BEC with 2 servos and a Guardian could present a problem. A stabilizer makes many small servo movements which can cause current spikes and your setup is already on the edge. You might want to invest in one of these, even with no Guardian:

https://www.xtremepowersystems.net/p...hp?prod=XPS-TT
Last edited by choochoo22; Jan 22, 2020 at 09:57 PM.
Jan 23, 2020, 08:41 PM
Thank you. I think I will take your advice.
Jan 24, 2020, 03:17 AM
Rick
Part of the problem with a 1A BEC is the way receivers are designed. You are probably using a 4 or 6ch receiver. There is a good chance your two servos are being pulsed by the receiver at the same time. Shown below is the pulse output from a typical 6ch receiver. As you can see, the first 4 channels are all pulsed at the same time. This increases the chances of a transient spike from the rx swamping the weak 1A BEC and triggering a brownout.

Receivers differ in the order the pulses are issued to the servos. The only way I know of learning the pulse output sequence is asking the manufacturer or examining it with a logic analyzer or scope. If you were using the receiver illustrated in the attachment it might reduce your chances of brownout if the channels could be assigned so one servo is on ch 1-4 and the other is on 5-6. This way the servos wouldn't pulse simultaneously and the load is spread better. The Guardian control channels draw negligible current so it doesn't matter what channel they are on. This wouldn't guarantee you wouldn't still get a brownout but it would help your chances. Also note that the size of the servo is only partially an indicator of how much current it can draw. Small servos can draw a surprising amount, especially when reversing direction. A stabilizer adds to the problem by drawing some current itself as well as making a lot of small servo movements but really most of the concern is present even without a stabilizer.

Quick Reply