Oct 14, 2003, 09:20 AM

Depron Tigermoth Scratchbuild

Spoiled for choice on where to post this but I decided that as I spend most of my time in 'Scale', I'd put it here!

This is based on a 200% Micromoth plan by Chris3D available here:
Micromoth plans

The scaled up size gives a wingspan of about 24" and the plan is to use an IPS A with 700mah Etech 2S1P and pico servos etc

Time for a picture......
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2003, 09:23 AM
I'm using 3mm depron and simply cutting out the plans, tracing round them with a biro and using a fresh blade to get a clean cut in the depron. I had to reduce the former sizes a little to allow for the thickness of the depron.
Oct 14, 2003, 09:25 AM
The plans are very accurate (thanks Chris) and this makes a very quick build!
Oct 14, 2003, 09:28 AM
I have used odourless CA throughout so far and have also found that my accelerator seems to be OK too which makes things easier.
Oct 14, 2003, 09:31 AM
I preformed the Depron by hand over the edge of a kitchen worktop before assembling the parts. This is my first time experience with Depron and it is quite good fun!
Oct 14, 2003, 09:35 AM
here's a shot of the underside of the top wing showing the ribs and the centre fuel tank. I actually used some glossy card to cover the top of the fuel tank as the thickness of the Depron seemed to make it stick up too much.
Oct 14, 2003, 09:40 AM
Here are the main parts, the wings are pretty much completed but the fusalage still needs 'F1' (front former) as I am obviously having to adapt the front end to suit the IPS. The tailplane also has the holes for actuators left out and here they are just temporarily taped in place to see how it looks! I think I may try pull-pull on this model?
Oct 14, 2003, 09:42 AM
Here is how things look when you just 'hold' the wings in place!
Oct 14, 2003, 09:45 AM
Last picture for now.

This is just two evenings work!

Thanks to Chris3D for the plans and also to Warren for inspiring me with his Pitts!

More to come as it happens.

Let me know what you think!

Chris
Oct 14, 2003, 10:10 AM
IAMCANADIAN
Wow. Love it. I've gotta get me some of that Depron. I built a 27" SE5 from Meat trays a while back. It flys great even in a bit of breeze. Meat trays are free but real finicky to get the pieces you want in the right shapes and sizes. Also they have those annoying letters and numbers stamped into them.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...threadid=87208
Oct 14, 2003, 10:20 AM
Greg, thanks, I remember seeing your SE5 a while back, looked very good. Are you still 'playing' with it?
Oct 14, 2003, 10:25 AM
IAMCANADIAN
Yup. Couple of flights just yesterday. I've increased control throws and with the new 7 cell 750mah AAA pack (my originals are getting pretty tired) and a 9X7 it'll loop from level flight. Was working on a rudder roll yesterday. It was pretty breezy but its clear the plane would do it if I could. Rudder is very authorative, even on the ground.
Last edited by Grejen; Oct 14, 2003 at 10:37 AM.
Oct 14, 2003, 10:29 AM
hi,

GREAT Moth!!! would it be possible for you to post the details of the mods you need to do to enlarge the plan for depron construction. i have a ips a, pico servos etc sitting looking for a nice model, i think this is it!!

cheers

nick
Oct 14, 2003, 10:37 AM
Hi Nick, thanks for comments.

I used CorelDRAW8 to open the pdf and then re-sized to 200% before selecting the tiled printing option. If you dont have the software maybe you could get a print shop to do the job for you from the pdf A4 originals?

Chris
Oct 14, 2003, 11:28 AM
Go FASST or go home...
Very inspiering and great craftmanship!! Will be watching this closely. 2 sheets of depron is awaiting to be cut - The TM is absolutley a great alternative.

Keep up the good work Chris!

Ben_E

Quick Reply