FFF Magnum Reloaded - Page 4 - RC Groups
Feb 25, 2012, 11:42 PM
LOOKIN' GOOD KEN!
It sure has been a fun build,and i love the way it looks.I wish I had a better matierial to work with though.My rc budget is small right now so I used what was at hand
I find when a Iron is used it makes it look better.Hows your c.g. doing? Mine is about 40% right now w/o floats.

Scott.

edit. Now i see on a different thread 28-30%.Hmm.. move battery forward...
Last edited by maurice076; Feb 26, 2012 at 12:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2012, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice076
I'll have to take some pics tommorow,I ended up using dtf and just a little bigger.33"
w ingtip to wingtip.Still alot of sanding to do.Thanks for the vlf plans Dz1sfb

Man those were some sweet looking magnums on that German forum,wish I could read it.

Im still trying to figure out how to attach the horizontal stab.I want it to separate for transport.

Scott.
Scott,
Well, can't help you reading the German forum, but I think the posted pics tell a thousand words. Try pasting in the postings in Google translator, I'm sure you end up with some funny phrases.

As for the horizontal stab, I have used a short piece of carbon rod and a rare earth magnet to hold it in place. The rod is being stuck into a piece of servo wire tubing in the fuse and holds the horizontal stab in position pretty well.

I did nearly the same for the wing, except of the carbon rod. It isn't required since the fuse clamps the wing tight enough to stay in place.
Feb 26, 2012, 11:35 AM
Thank you project80
I'll have to check lhs for those magnets.That looks to be the best way.I like how they were used on the pushrod also easy disconnect.I am not very smart with computers I get by with basic knowledge,still trying to figure out how to scale plans+sketchup.Just use the old pencil+paper+handcutting.

Scott.
Feb 26, 2012, 06:31 PM
I know it would probably ruin it but I am seriously thinking about putting Ailerons on this baby just to change the fligh a bit. I don't want to remove those Dihedralish wing tips though so it's probably a waste of time. Probably the most imporant thing to do it keep it light anyway so we can get those crazy tight turns like they did indoors. Not sure why but I am seriously enamored with this plane.
Feb 26, 2012, 06:59 PM
Registered FFF Addict
How about putting on some wing tips that are swept back instead it up? Wouldn't be exactly the same, but would give it the look IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salter
I know it would probably ruin it but I am seriously thinking about putting Ailerons on this baby just to change the fligh a bit. I don't want to remove those Dihedralish wing tips though so it's probably a waste of time. Probably the most imporant thing to do it keep it light anyway so we can get those crazy tight turns like they did indoors. Not sure why but I am seriously enamored with this plane.
Feb 26, 2012, 08:05 PM
Radian, Polaris, Mistaken ID.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salter
I too am completely enamored with this plane... I just don't have time right now to start a new build. I already have too much on the bench!
Feb 28, 2012, 12:39 AM
Registered FFF Addict
Got the patterns cut for the 357 Magnum 57". Will cut some foam from time to time. Will post when I have some progress to report. Using both 1/2 foam and FFF. Will wait till I find out what it weighs before I decide on power setup.

Does anyone know it the rear fuse cutouts are for looks or to lighten the tail?
Feb 28, 2012, 10:12 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Larry,
I believe the answer to your question on the cuts is "yes" to both parts. The original which was of EPP was constant thickness the full length of the fuselage. I plan on covering the holes on mine with clear tape. It should fly better covered. More lateral area behind the CG.

Ken
Latest blog entry: Ken's CAD Models new web site
Feb 28, 2012, 01:21 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Mine will have 3 layers of 1/2" foam and the 2 outside panels will be FFF and I think I will not cut the holes in the outside pieces. My motor might be proportionately heaver so should balance OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Larry,
I believe the answer to your question on the cuts is "yes" to both parts. The original which was of EPP was constant thickness the full length of the fuselage. I plan on covering the holes on mine with clear tape. It should fly better covered. More lateral area behind the CG.

Ken
Feb 28, 2012, 02:59 PM
Ken you said u were thinking of covering the cutouts with clear tape,I was thinking of that Magnum with the airbrushed bullet holes.Have you guys seen a plane with actual holes in the foam mimicking real bullet holes?Maybe cut out hole,then airbrush around it to simulate bullet hole.Then cover it with clear tape?Myself I could use some weight savings in the kf step.

Just wondering.Sounds pretty good.Might look cool.What do you think?

Scott.
Mar 01, 2012, 10:54 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Maidened the Magnum Reloaded today in the shop

Woo Hoo! A very nice tight area flyer. My AUW without any paint and a 2s 850 mAh battery is 11 oz. Can't wait to take it to our indoor facility.

Video will be forthcoming,
Ken
Latest blog entry: Ken's CAD Models new web site
Mar 01, 2012, 04:03 PM
Very good Ken,I'll be watching
Mar 01, 2012, 04:07 PM
Hey ... no fair ... i was looking for mobile popcorn but couldn't find the truck .... ;-)
Mar 02, 2012, 12:57 PM
USA, Massachusetts
I never put a nose cone on one of these electric motors. How is that done?