FFF Magnum Reloaded - Page 3 - RC Groups
Feb 17, 2012, 03:37 PM
Team OFG (Old Fat Guys)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Andreas,

Yes I noticed that feature, and very nice it is. However, I wanted to build this first one as a one piece aircraft. I may change up the file later. I would like to develop a full fuselage without those holes in the tail (though I think they look good on this model) for structural consideration of the material. Then I would want the removable wing.

Got my first set of parts cut out last night. Total wieght of all foam parts including the firewall minus the float parts was 4.0 oz on the button. Float parts weight was 1.2 oz.

If you've followed my VLF builds you know that I laminate the three center lams on the fuselage first. No exception on this one. On this one though I am going to taper the fuselage width from just behind the servos to a single foam thickness at the tail. I will likely add a thin carbon rod upper and lower longeron inside the outer lamination to avert snapping the tail end off. So the intent is to sand the taper in the center lams and add the uninterrupted outside lamination as the finishing touch.

Spoke with Fabian on the possibility of purchasing some of his EPP kits of this plane. Andreas mentioned that he paid 25 euros for his. Shipping cost for a single kit is very prohibitive. The best cost for quantity breakdown is to purchase 32 kits. With shipping each kit would cost 25.41 euros ($33.41 USD). That is a good price and I would buy one in a heartbeat, but I cannot buy 32 kits. Anyone have an idea of how to make a practical group purchase?

Ken
http://www.google.com/search?q=magnu...rchBox&ie=&oe=

Here is a link to a google search for the Magnum. There is a lot of information available including plans.
There was a website for a company out of Texas that was going to produce a kit, but it has dissapeared in the last month or so. They have a facebook page and I have put on a couple of messages, but so far no replies.
Bummer. I would have much prefered to buy a kit if it was available, but that's why I started scratchbuilding mine. Ordering from oversees is not cost effective.
You guys that are cutting yours with your printers, please post more pics.
I'll post more pics as I move along with my build.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2012, 04:57 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
all i would really care about right now is some nice tilled plans in US letter format.

be nice if I could afford a phlat printer or have room for one, but since I only use Mac it also means I would have to get a new computer.
Feb 18, 2012, 06:52 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutcastZeroOne
all i would really care about right now is some nice tilled plans in US letter format.

be nice if I could afford a phlat printer or have room for one, but since I only use Mac it also means I would have to get a new computer.

Are you looking for tiled letter plans for the original EPP version?

Here it is.

Ken
Latest blog entry: Ken's CAD Models new web site
Feb 18, 2012, 07:39 PM
Ken's CAD Models

Blindflights work on this design.

Al, aka Blindflight in the Phlatforum has made great progress on getting one cut out and assembled. He still has to install the wing tips.

Ken
Feb 18, 2012, 07:56 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
yeah I saw that one. I told him I hated him for how purdy it looked

and thanks for the plans
Feb 18, 2012, 11:42 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMParkFlyer
That is something to think about Ken. In the original EPP plans there is a break line dropping down from the wing. The lower section is glued to the bottom of the wing. This would give you the ability to eliminate the hatches and have access from the wing cavity below.

Chiming in ... might have to get the phlat printer finished now

Greg M
I have an idea on how to allow the wing to still sperate im going to try on my end. Ill post pictures of it when I get going on it.
Feb 19, 2012, 06:45 PM
Radian, Polaris, Mistaken ID.
What great looking work guys. I can hardly wait till I can get to building one myself!!
Feb 22, 2012, 01:45 PM
Ken's CAD Models

Making more progress

Its starting to get along.

Ken
Feb 22, 2012, 03:53 PM
TonyS
But Ken, i It is only blue, not red and yellow and orange and deep blue.

Nonetheless it looks really good! Well done.

TonyS
Feb 22, 2012, 07:17 PM
Radian, Polaris, Mistaken ID.
Looking Great Ken!
Feb 24, 2012, 11:21 PM
Very nice! I picked up a new printer today as my old one recently rolled over and died.
Hopefully get it installed tomorrow and make a copy of the plans. I am super impressed
with the "lack of speed" demonstrated in the video's. I do like slow flyers. Warm
regards, Jim
Feb 24, 2012, 11:52 PM
I'll have to take some pics tommorow,I ended up using dtf and just a little bigger.33"
w ingtip to wingtip.Still alot of sanding to do.Thanks for the vlf plans Dz1sfb

Man those were some sweet looking magnums on that German forum,wish I could read it.

Im still trying to figure out how to attach the horizontal stab.I want it to separate for transport.

Scott.
Feb 25, 2012, 12:30 PM

a few pics

Heres where I'm at so far.

edit:The fuse has 2 layers of cellfoam 88 + some strapping tape to stiffen it up.
Last edited by maurice076; Feb 25, 2012 at 12:36 PM.
Feb 25, 2012, 11:10 PM
Ken's CAD Models

With Floats

Getting a bit more done. Not shown here, but I started covering the floats in red packing tape.

Ken