New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:53 AM
ToniGe23 is offline
Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Registered User
ToniGe23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
Hi Tony,
What design is your new boat? We just had another Creed 10R come to Perth, it was a M in its previous life in the UK
Hi Mike,
I just got the new RM Dreadnought from Jeff Byerley super looking ship I ordered it with his sails as well, I'm at the moment building rigs!
Last edited by ToniGe23; Sep 15, 2012 at 05:28 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:52 PM
breakwater is offline
Find More Posts by breakwater
Registered User
Darn,
I was supposed to have a weekend sailing Ms on both Saturday & Sunday this weekend, and planned on shooting some video with this keychain camera...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mory_card.html

But I got whacked with the flu...
ARGH!
I'll get some cool on-board shots before the season is over...
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:13 AM
bigpat is offline
Find More Posts by bigpat
Love RC Yachts!!!
Good to see some Dreadnoughts getting out there. Interesting design. Although a light displacement/low wetted surface design, they seem to hold their own in windier conditions too.

As for Skalpels, their engineering is exquisite, but I don't subscribe to them being the best possible Marblehead design around.

They show their best speed in lighter airs, but results over time have born out they aren't any better than other designs.

While the rigs are great, but don't show a clear advantage over other conventional, and swing rigs in particular in A rig conditions.

I think the hull design doesn't shine in higher winds. With the rig forward, low freeboard, and full forward sections, they seem to nosedive earlier than other designs when pressed, especially downwind where they seem to broach easily. They too are generally a light displacement boat, with typically 2.8-3.1 kg ballast. The hull doesn't seen to have enough displacement to take 3.3kg or higher bulbs, as the ends tend to sit under water, affecting their lighter air performance.

If you have the finances, and the desire to buy one, that's cool, but you don't need one to win..... I have seen a full Skalpel rig setup on a Vibe, and it too didn't really show any extra speed. If so, we'd all run it I suppose...

I expect the lighter ones should do well in the expected conditions in France come the World's none the less....
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:29 AM
breakwater is offline
Find More Posts by breakwater
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpat View Post
Good to see some Dreadnoughts getting out there. Interesting design. Although a light displacement/low wetted surface design, they seem to hold their own in windier conditions too.

As for Skalpels, their engineering is exquisite, but I don't subscribe to them being the best possible Marblehead design around.

They show their best speed in lighter airs, but results over time have born out they aren't any better than other designs.

While the rigs are great, but don't show a clear advantage over other conventional, and swing rigs in particular in A rig conditions.

I think the hull design doesn't shine in higher winds. With the rig forward, low freeboard, and full forward sections, they seem to nosedive earlier than other designs when pressed, especially downwind where they seem to broach easily. They too are generally a light displacement boat, with typically 2.8-3.1 kg ballast. The hull doesn't seen to have enough displacement to take 3.3kg or higher bulbs, as the ends tend to sit under water, affecting their lighter air performance.

If you have the finances, and the desire to buy one, that's cool, but you don't need one to win..... I have seen a full Skalpel rig setup on a Vibe, and it too didn't really show any extra speed. If so, we'd all run it I suppose...

I expect the lighter ones should do well in the expected conditions in France come the World's none the less....





.....And even if it was PROVEN that the Skapel was in-fact the fastest all-around Marblehead design in existance, well...... This is a developmental class. Someone 'aught to get on the developmental horse and knock that crown off..
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:32 AM
ToniGe23 is offline
Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Registered User
ToniGe23's Avatar
but breakwater they have!
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:06 PM
breakwater is offline
Find More Posts by breakwater
Registered User
Sorry for the mis-interpretation, but I understand.....
Although I haven't personally seen a boat quicker than A Skapel and I can't agree with that statement, I Absolutley positively won't contest it.



All I was pointing out was that IF the Skapel was the proven fastest boat, there can be developments to make something quicker.

Heck, even the boats that are quicker than the skapel can be beaten with enough skill of design and engineering.



I'm only saying this because many, many people talk about the Skapel as the end of the line in development... It's not true. The Skapel is just a big rung in the development ladder.


Just another "M Class misconception."
Last edited by breakwater; Sep 17, 2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:06 PM
slotracer577 is online now
Find More Posts by slotracer577
Registered User
While the skalpel is not always the fastest design, it has been dominant in the southern California area which generally sails is 8 to 10 mph winds. The lack of freeboard doesnt really matter much then. SoCal had big fleets of m's It essentially became a one design class and the price of entry was too high for most people. So development and us builders stopped and moved on two the iom.
I think part of the problem is most of the us does not sail in conditions like the uk or Australia. The new designs are being built to do well in the uk, so i am not sure they are as optimized for lower wind speeds.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:41 AM
bigpat is offline
Find More Posts by bigpat
Love RC Yachts!!!
I think the Skalpel may have low wetted surface, where as a lot if the british boats are designed for higher winds, so this isn't such an issue.
I'm sure a Crazy Tube Too, or a Boogie, with a light 3.0-3.2kg bulb, small area keel, and a swing rig, would be a rocket in light winds. The Dreadnought is a low wetted surface / light displacement concept boat too.

My old Scourge with a 3.2kg bulb regularly raced equally with Skalpels.
I suppose it takes determination to want to develop a boat. I can understand some people don't want or don't have the facilities or knowledge to do it either.

Here in Oz, and in our club in particular, we readily modify boats as we feel necessary. Just this week I shortened by keel 60mm, and moved the bulb forward 10mm, to help its light air performance a little. I may yet fit a second keel with a lighter to have a definitive light airs setup.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:36 AM
NZL756 is offline
Find More Posts by NZL756
Registered User
NZL756's Avatar
New Zealand Nationals sailed this weekend.

Best fleet in ages with 17 boats entered.

Check it out here :- http://www.ohope.co.nz/iom/120931.html
http://radioyachtingnz.wordpress.com...onals-day-one/
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:43 PM
ToniGe23 is offline
Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Registered User
ToniGe23's Avatar

RM Nationals Holland 2012


This weekend saw the Holland RM Nationals 2012 Graham Bantock took first place a good result with 2 weeks until the RM Worlds in France results below.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:13 AM
breakwater is offline
Find More Posts by breakwater
Registered User
17 Boats at the New Zealand Nationals.
19 Boats at the Holland Nationals.



'Cmon USA!
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:40 AM
FRA3700 is offline
Find More Posts by FRA3700
OlivierFRA100
FRA3700's Avatar
50 boats at France nationals ;-)
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:01 PM
ToniGe23 is offline
Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Registered User
ToniGe23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakwater View Post
17 Boats at the New Zealand Nationals.
19 Boats at the Holland Nationals.



'Cmon USA!
It's unfortunate that the US has lost it's way with Marbleheads and Europe is the place to be at the moment leading the F1 of sail boat racing.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:12 PM
gpzy is online now
Find More Posts by gpzy
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
gpzy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniGe23 View Post
It's unfortunate that the US has lost it's way with Marbleheads and Europe is the place to be at the moment leading the F1 of sail boat racing.
How many different class boats are raced in Europe ? Here in the US there are at least four different one meter boats alone. Lots of choices to choose from here.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:28 PM
Dick L. is online now
Find More Posts by Dick L.
Registered User
Dick L.'s Avatar
I would agree with GPZY in that there is a finite number of sailors here in US. Of that finite number, there are fewer that want a boat that large. Those who do want a big boat, have even fewer who are builders - either lack of skills or lack of time, or lack of interest. Add in the number of inexpensive "plastics" and that also factors in to the need for "instant gratification". Finally, the recent economy has added to the struggles to not only maintain class numbers, but grow them - faced with gasoline prices for travel locally, or airfare and costs associated with shipping/flying with big boats, let alone little ones.

Back in 1999 - 2001, I made concerted effort to promote the Formula48/Mini40 multihull class. Considering there was only one previous multihull class here in US (mid-late 1970's) it was a new and completely different class of boat that was current - yet was met with minimal interest. Even the MultiONE class of multihulls failed to garner much interest.

As GPZY notes, when you are competing with maybe 2 dozen or more established classes, and with many of them less expensive than a Marblehead, it might explain why there are issues trying to promote a class that while exciting is viewed as expensive to participate and maintain competitive.

Just my views.

Dick


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Marblehead Help Needed.- Whirlwind Olympic Winch eurosystem0 Sailboats 21 Nov 03, 2015 01:09 PM
Sold Marblehead/10r/IOM etc Keel for Sale breakwater Boats (FS/W) 5 May 24, 2014 02:26 PM
Question Plans for vintage Marblehead? john_k Sailboats 4 Dec 29, 2011 02:53 PM
Discussion Homemade silicone Marblehead bowbumpers Art Gallagher Sailboats 5 Nov 12, 2011 11:06 AM
For Sale RC Marblehead racingyacht cheddarcaveman Boats (FS/W) 0 Oct 02, 2011 02:52 AM