Marblehead Racing - Page 184 - RC Groups
Aug 10, 2017, 01:05 AM
Breakwater, why don't you guys put together your R1 regatta for the M class and see how it goes.
You have been a big promoter of the M class for a while. Just make it happen, sheesh. The world is to complicated for stupid politics to ruin fun sailing or racing our RC boats which many of us enjoy. Ryan
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2017, 08:38 AM
Its not easy to run a regatta.
My patience to try and do something to have it met with criticisim or fouled up has come to an end. The events were scheduled and the gears were turning. One local skipper wrote me this:

"So I was toying with the idea of buying a boat and sailing it in the Fall, with intent on racing in the spring. What's the current status?"
Aug 10, 2017, 11:00 AM
Been there, done that .............
with my big cat class from 1978 until 2005 which included 3 North American Championship events at Traverse City, Michigan, Florida, and Houston, Texas. Also did a statewide Cancer fundraiser for three years, and several statewide race committees while a member. Did a stint as a volunteer Rad Cross Water Safety Instructor Trainer and as a Sailing Trainer.

Now it's nice to have (ahem) so much support(???) and suggestions to promote and manage a multihull effort again - especially from those whose names I don't recall seeing as race committe members, let alone class management administrative support, either as president, secretary, etc. Throw in several years volunteering on staff for Model Yachting (AMYA) magazine and I understand your frustrations.

For what it's worth, you have been most informative in answering my questions when I started refurbishing the old Marblehead I was working on. My belated thanks for that help and support. In the meantime, don't let the ba$@&#s get you down. Life is too short!

Cheers, Dick
Aug 10, 2017, 10:26 PM
I am a fleet captain out here in SF for one fleet, working on getting another off the ground and I help out with a third fleet. Currently working on organizing an R6 regatta that will take place for the I 54 class. I know that organizing a regatta is not easy and with ambiguity thrown in, gets harder, but if you want it to happen, then you just push thru, promote the event, and do the work.
If sailors come, then you know there is interest. Give it a shot.