Jul 14, 2014, 08:43 PM
No intent in regards to culture, so please don't take it that way. Not at all.

This is purely a boat design discussion.
Myself? Well. I'm a dual-citizen of a European Union country country as well, so part clown.

If it were a cultural debate, well. we're all humans aren't we? Small ones tall ones skinny ones fat ones. Come on guys
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2014, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFlack View Post
So, if the USA adopted the International rule all that would be required would be a shorter fin. And an International M with the correct three rigs would be a legal USA - M.

Hardly worth getting worked up about. Actually the boats you sail at your pond meet the International rule if I understand correctly that a short fin is required due to the water depth.

We have a lot of cheap fun at our club with a class that has different rules than either but our rules make our boats legal in both. Notice the part about having fun. And we have an M on the sails.
Actually if we adopted the international rules nothing would happen for most boats. 2 of my 3 M's were built to the international rules and the third is international legal, so no changes required. All the skalpels were built to the international rules as well. I guess I should make a motion for next year and we can move to the international rules.
Jul 14, 2014, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotracer577 View Post
Actually if we adopted the international rules nothing would happen for most boats. 2 of my 3 M's were built to the international rules and the third is international legal, so no changes required. All the skalpels were built to the international rules as well. I guess I should make a motion for next year and we can move to the international rules.
And when that happens the international boats stick their noses up in the air at us as sailing obsolete desings?

No thank you.
My vote is currently NO. Based on the premise that they can currently shove-it

But I'm not the only one in this class, and Its certainly not all about me.
Some people might thing that. but if you start reading through the lines, I'm fighting to get everyone EVERYONE on the same page.
Jul 14, 2014, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotracer577 View Post
I'd vote yes. What the US is doing isn't working so why not try that approach. I think it helps the IOM class in the USA by being part of the International community.
Jul 14, 2014, 09:14 PM
Quote:
I'd vote yes. What the US is doing isn't working so why not try that approach. I think it helps the IOM class in the USA by being part of the International community.
The ironic part is I want to vote yes, but this other class has to change their attitude toward what we have, and accept that some venues have limitations.

We basically would become their acquisition, which im Ok with, it brings everyone together, but do you want to allow them to turn their nose up at is in a hostile takeover?

They are all Ms, who cares how deep your fins are. There are countless "your compensating" jokes related to that- just get everyone onto a big huggy happy fluffy family and let local restrictions dictate the designs.
Jul 14, 2014, 09:17 PM
You see the front page of SA today, BW?
Jul 14, 2014, 09:25 PM
Wish I could muster some form of a crap about it, but that's a different class.

Lol
Jul 14, 2014, 09:26 PM
I guess I really don't get your point. You argue they are all M's but dont want to sail by the one international set of rules. My view is one class, one set of rules.

I also think that an ncr should not be held at a location that can not handle a class legal boat. This is not limited to the M class. I watched our 10r class secretary go to the uk and have the same issue there.
Jul 14, 2014, 09:33 PM
Any sane person reading this in the USA will buy a One-Design.

Good luck everyone.
Jul 14, 2014, 09:34 PM

thx aero

thx aero for the link to the marblehead worlds video really nice m *orn.
mike

Jul 14, 2014, 10:09 PM
Double post!
Jul 14, 2014, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakwater View Post
Wish I could muster some form of a crap about it, but that's a different class.

Lol
SA editorial politics aside, I thought they were just... Marbleheads.

Sorry 'bout that.
Jul 14, 2014, 10:11 PM
Think about it this way, the early Moth is about like the Vintage Marblehead and the foiling Moth is like the International Marblehead:

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:23 AM
A long time ago some US moth sailors thought that the class development was too excessive, and started their own moth class. The boats still look like this:
1990s US classic Moths.jpeg
I think they have one regatta a year in eastern US and get 20-39 boats
While the class moved on with development and now looks lke this:
2011 AMAC and Mach2 .JPG
and we will have close to 140 of them racing a worlds in UK next week.

I think the future of your class is in unity not division.
Jul 14, 2014, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm500mx View Post
...marblehead worlds video really nice m *orn.
mike

It was a nice vid- great looking boats!
Jul 15, 2014, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Think about it this way, the early Moth is about like the Vintage Marblehead and the foiling Moth is like the International Marblehead:

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:23 AM
A long time ago some US moth sailors thought that the class development was too excessive, and started their own moth class. The boats still look like this:
1990s US classic Moths.jpeg
I think they have one regatta a year in eastern US and get 20-39 boats
While the class moved on with development and now looks lke this:
2011 AMAC and Mach2 .JPG
and we will have close to 140 of them racing a worlds in UK next week.

I think the future of your class is in unity not division.
You are exactly right.

But those on the other side of the pond, with the Moth foilers don't recognize us with the Moths.

Which is exactly why they need to drop the name of Moth, and just use Foiler.. because they are now a different class. After repeated attempts, it is them that won't cooperate, so off they go.

Buy one-desgigns people
Stay Far, Far away from the Marblehead. There is way too much nonsense in this class. You will end up broke, with a non-competitive boat in no time at all.

If you are on the East-Coast the EC-12 has a wonderful regatta schedule with large fleet turnouts and if you buy a quality boat it will remain competitive and acceptable to the class untuil it turns into dust.

http://www.ec12.org/Regattas/Regatta-Schedule.htm

Quick Reply