Feb 11, 2012, 05:59 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Marblehead Racing

Hi,
Is Marblehead racing still going in the US and other countries if so what you guys racing
to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2012, 06:16 PM
Guz
Guz
Gutless wonder
Well, I just got 1st place today racing Marbleheads So, yea they are still being raced.

I'm sailing a Monarch personally. But there were various hull's being run, Orco Skinny, Rover, and others.

The Skapels, are still king. But they don't show up as often as previously, so life is good
Feb 11, 2012, 06:40 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
I am ready to go on the East Coast. Sadly, I seem to be all alone.
Feb 12, 2012, 11:19 AM
Rumor is that M's will be included in race week this year in San Diego. I am working on a new hull from John Taylor for trial shortly. If all looks good it should be at nationals.
Feb 12, 2012, 11:28 AM
The Vintage and High-Flyer divisions are alive and very healthy in my neck-of-the-woods.
2011 Bill Bithell Vintage Marblehead Race Start (1 min 16 sec)

And nationals will be held at Redd's pond in Marblehead.

The Classic M class is in class proposition phase.

Modern M class Nationals are to be held in San Diego this year.

If you have a Marblehead. Just bring it to your pond and sail it. No matter what it is, or what shape it's in.
There are something like 3,000 Marblehead class boats registered. If others see you sail the boat, they will follow suit. There are ton's of boats available collecting dust, so those looking to get into the class really don't even need to make the commitment to build from scratch. Just search and you will find a plethora of quality boats available.
Feb 12, 2012, 12:25 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakwater
...The Classic M class is in class proposition phase...
What exactly constitutes a "classic M?" I have a couple of early '90s boats, one swing and one conventional. Are they "Classics?"
Feb 12, 2012, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg28
What exactly constitutes a "classic M?" I have a couple of early '90s boats, one swing and one conventional. Are they "Classics?"
NO. Those are modern M's. Not sure where the cutoff is for vintage.

M's are just like US1M's........the latest designs/fastest designs are from the 90's(except few exceptions like Skalpels)
Feb 12, 2012, 01:10 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest
NO. Those are modern M's. Not sure where the cutoff is for vintage...
I know that they are not Vintage. Just wondering what Classic was.
Feb 12, 2012, 01:19 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
This is actually kind of interesting. The 36/600 went through this. They ended up splitting off the Traditional 36/600 which essentially said no swing rigs. When people join a development class they invest heavily in the latest and greatest. They are fast relative to everyone else that has been in the class and has equipment that is a few years old. Then when their equipment is a few years old people are come out with new stuff they cry foul. But that is what a development class is about. You can not stand still and expect to win.
Feb 12, 2012, 01:23 PM
Quote:
First a bit of opinion:
At the end of the day, RC sailing is all about fun. Fun is had when more boats are on the pond. So, after all the legal mumbo-jumbo the only thing that matters is if you got to sail, an others got to sail against you. These are one of, if not THE best class AMYA has to offer, and there are THOUSANDS already built. let's get the class vibrant again.
I think if you have a M class, just sail it without asking questions. I garuntee others will follow suit.
Putting more boats on the pond is the goal, not to segregate the class into finite areas and only allowing certain groups to participate against their own clique.

So, after that...

There is a proposition to seperate the "Classic" M's. It is designed to bring the 50s,60s,70's era M's out of the closet. and draw a line at the lighter higher-performace boats that obsoleted everything before it.

For example. The Bone was THE boat the ushered in a new era of Marblehead and "killed" everything before it.

Very similar to current-day's Skapels.

Take this with only a grain of salt as of now.. It's only a proposition, but may be offered to members of AMYA to create an additional class or special interest group, similar to the Vintage M.

Proposed Rule for Classic M

Hull: 50 inch plus or minus ¼ inch LOA. A serviceable ½ inch maximum bumper, above the waterline, shall be fitted.
Hull and fin construction materials are limited to wood, fiberglass, gelcoated fiberglass and some mixture of them. Use of composite materials except for incidental reinforcement is prohibited.
Prohibited: movable keels and centerboards, leeboards and bilgeboards, bowsprits and overhanging rudders, pontoons and multiple hulls, movable ballast.
Maximum draft not to exceed 17 inches.
Minimum weight 13 pounds. The weight is measured with the boat in ready to sail condition. It includes the hull, fin and ballast, rig, batteries, rudder, electronics equipment, winch, and all other equipment onboard the boat when sailing.
No limits: LWL, beam, freeboard, tumblehome, number of radio channels.
Sails: Max sail area 800 sq. inches. Measurement: AMYA formula with luff measured from tack to underside of headboard. Jib: As main except measured to eye of hoist when there is no headboard. Headboard: ¾ inch maximum width. Maximum roach: 2 inches jib or main. Main battens: maximum of 4 in main, 4inch maximum length. Jib battens: maximum of 3 in jib, 2 inch maximum length. The number of alternative rigs shall not exceed three in number.
Maximum height of any rig, measured from the deck to the lower edge of the mainsail headboard or eye, shall be 85 inches.
Jibstay: Maximum height is 80% of height of headboard of mainsail above deck.
Prohibited: Swing rigs.
Sails shall be adjusted or sheeted using a rotary arm winch.
Feb 12, 2012, 01:37 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
Completely agree with everything that you said.
I had a Toad, which would probably be one of the last "Classics," as you said. My boats are between the Toad and the Scalpel, being much closer to the Scalpel end. Frankly, if it caught on around here, I would find/build a boat that fit.
Any restriction on carbon masts?

While it is all about having fun, limitations are important to keep it fun for all.
Feb 12, 2012, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Completely agree with everything that you said.
I had a Toad, which would probably be one of the last "Classics," as you said. My boats are between the Toad and the Scalpel, being much closer to the Scalpel end. Frankly, if it caught on around here, I would find/build a boat that fit.
Any restriction on carbon masts?

While it is all about having fun, limitations are important to keep it fun for all.
The toad would qualify based on my understanding.
Yes, carbon is limited in the rig.. it's probably just been omitted since it's still a proposition.

What I find discouraging is the arm winch rule. While it makes sense in terms of what was available then... I don't think it makes sense now.
Anyone who has a classic M that takes it out of hiding will find that their existing arm winch has either failed, or is going to fail soon.

And upgrading to a drum winch in 2012 is really a no-brainer. An arm winch is a poor investment at this point.

Case & point is another member of this forum posting about his arm winch on a M that he is pulling out from the shed.

Anyways.
The M class at one time had SOOOO many boats on the pond that it had to be regulated to keep it fair.

In 2012, the M-Class has SOOOO many classifications and pre-existing rule sets that limit and discourage the owners to come back to the pond in masses.
Feb 12, 2012, 01:56 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
Agree on the winch. I think that things which improve the ease and reliability without dramatic cost ought to be allowed. Carbon masts are really cheap nowadays, and personally I think ought to be allowed in the Soling class. But I dare not propose that. Even though the cost might be $20.
Feb 12, 2012, 02:37 PM
Thread OP

Marbleheads

I notice you guys mention the Skalpel a member of my club sails one on our Marblehead race days I think he's owned it for at least 4 years and still cannot get it trimmed to it's peak performance due to it's complex rigs.
Feb 12, 2012, 02:39 PM
I believe the Toad had a design displacement of around 10-11 lbs.

If it was made to displace 13 lbs it would not be competetive. Probably not sail very well either.

I would think the proposed classic division would encompass boats like the Bingo or Epic.

Quick Reply