Oct 13, 2003, 08:02 AM
Sailplane Mafia
Thread OP

Cut off voltage for Li batteries w/Phoenix 25

I am confused to the cut off voltage for a 3 cell LI pack. I thought the cut off voltage should be 9 volts. The documentation that came with the Castle controller says a 3 cell LI pack should be 7.6 volts.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 13, 2003, 09:13 AM
Try posting in the Castle Creations section under vendors and get a response from Pat or Shawn (When they get back from Las Vegas). Get the answer from the guys who build and sell the controller. Mike
PS: Welcome to the Ezone!
Oct 13, 2003, 12:58 PM
Some weeks ago I contacted CC on this very point and they agreed that they need to correct the documentation for their Pixie 7P and 20p, so I presume they will address it for the Pegasus 25P as well.

Cheers, Phil
Oct 13, 2003, 01:20 PM
its 7.2v because the battery is under load from the motor...so when it cuts off the bateries should be at 9v static...see ?
i asked the same question here before and thats the answer i got...makes sense when you think about it...
its set at 7.2 to get max time from the batteries....if you are worried you can set the pheonix to 9v to be on the safe side...
Oct 13, 2003, 04:51 PM
my cc25 cuts out at the default value of 5V on my etec 1200 2s1p pack. (under load). When I go to charge it, it states there is still 6.5+ normally 7+ amps remaining...which is still safe. So as Jeddy indicates, It appears that leaving it at this setting is ok. If it drops to that 7.6V limit under load, it will only be momentarily.

having said that, to be safe, you can just set it to 9, but you may get shorter flight times
Oct 13, 2003, 07:17 PM
Purveyor of RC-Opiates
Heavily loaded Li-Poly should have a 2.5V per cell cut off. Light to med loading should be 2.7V - 3V per cell. I need to add, you should notice the battery is dieing before the motor cuts. I ussually land at this time.

-Dave
www.LightFlightRC.com

Quick Reply