Aug 27, 2012, 11:04 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Piece's Avatar
Today I finished up the newest plane in my hangar. It's a replacement for the one in my avatar which was destroyed a week ago due to an aileron servo failure (still my fault, though). I made a few needed improvements to this one and it came out two ounces lighter and significantly stronger

This picture gets the idea across, but it was too dark to get any good shots by the time I had her totally done today.

Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Aug 28, 2012, 12:11 AM
Registered User
NIce plane... what model is it? or is it a scratchy?
Aug 28, 2012, 05:17 AM
Registered User

inside out


have a few hk 3d hawks and the last one i extended all the control arms and put two servos on the ailerons.cut foam away so you get absolute max throw on everything..This plane turns inside out on high rates, can crawl along or zoom around. You can run the battery flat doing summersaults on the spot for 10 minutes full throttle with no ill effects. wing flex is out of control to watch and you have to carve enough of the ailerons so as not to snag on fuselage when diving and spinning. can be taken out with carbon spar...but why would you when it cracks you up as it flys so great trying to snap its own wings off. It won't happen though, for the price it is a blast of fun. climbs straight,hovers. knife edge fly inside and out. can even cope with a breezy day if your good enough. Before you buildone of these it is a must to tape all the front vertical and horizontal surfaces right back to cock pit. Now it will handle crash after crash with ease you break the motor out but just keep hot glueing back in..Sweet
Aug 28, 2012, 07:26 AM
looking up, down under
scruffy1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
Today I finished up the newest plane in my hangar. It's a replacement for the one in my avatar which was destroyed a week ago due to an aileron servo failure (still my fault, though). I made a few needed improvements to this one and it came out two ounces lighter and significantly stronger

This picture gets the idea across, but it was too dark to get any good shots by the time I had her totally done today.
it must have been really dark, because you seem to have missed a bit of covering near the empennage

nice plane, by the way
Aug 28, 2012, 07:31 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy1 View Post
it must have been really dark, because you seem to have missed a bit of covering near the empennage

nice plane, by the way
That was on purpose. he was trying to create a WW1 style look. It came out nicely IMO.
Aug 28, 2012, 02:00 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Piece's Avatar
Quote:
NIce plane... what model is it? or is it a scratchy?
She's a scratchbuild. I think the closest plane on the market is the RadicalRC E-Hornet, which was a significant (and somewhat obvious) influence on the original design.

As for the uncovered tail, I really just like the way it looks. What you almost don't notice are the scalloped trailing edges of the ailerons and elevator which seem simple but are a real bear to cover

I flew her today. Everything went well, but she needs a bit of adjusting to be perfect. Still needs iron crosses for the wings, too.
Aug 28, 2012, 02:55 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
She's a scratchbuild. I think the closest plane on the market is the RadicalRC E-Hornet, which was a significant (and somewhat obvious) influence on the original design.

As for the uncovered tail, I really just like the way it looks. What you almost don't notice are the scalloped trailing edges of the ailerons and elevator which seem simple but are a real bear to cover

I flew her today. Everything went well, but she needs a bit of adjusting to be perfect. Still needs iron crosses for the wings, too.
The scalloping was the first thing I noticed. It looks awesome.
Aug 31, 2012, 07:03 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Piece's Avatar
Here's a pic of the finished product just before the very successful maiden. A buddy of mine says he can make me some crosses for the wings (maybe the tail, too, if I ask nicely ) so I've probably got that covered now.

Aug 31, 2012, 07:04 PM
looking up, down under
scruffy1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
so I've probably got that covered now.
most of it

Aug 31, 2012, 08:33 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Endlesslag's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy1 View Post
most of it

I see what you did there
Sep 04, 2012, 12:34 PM
Lysdexic I'm
HeeBeeGeeBee's Avatar
Glad to hear the maiden went well. She's a beauty!
Sep 04, 2012, 05:50 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
ChinoDiablo's Avatar
Crashed my UMX Carbon Cub SS into the grass on a "You-Shoulda-Known-Better-than-to-fly-on-this-kinda-day" kinda day.
Dummy....
Latest blog entry: Pizza!
Sep 06, 2012, 08:10 AM
Certified Codger
wingspann's Avatar
After trying unsuccessfully to fly my new Wild Hawk ($50 on sale ) with stock power, I removed the brushed motor/ESC and replaced with a HURC 370 Zoom brushless motor and 30 amp ESC.

I didn't want to use a solid block in the pylon hole for a motor mount as that would block the air flow to the motor. I found a piece of 1 1/8" OD aluminum tube in the garage, which was a perfect match for the diameter of the brushed motor. For mounting the new brushless motor, I cut 4 tabs in one end of the tube and bent them out and drilled them for screws.



The addition of an air scoop to cool the ESC and battery seemed like a good idea, so I cut a hole in the canopy and adapted a plastic spoon to form a scoop. For the outlets I used two pieces of carbon fiber tube into the lower sides of the fuselage to draw air through the scoop and out the bottom.





The 240 watts (measured) will take this thing vertical almost forever!
Sep 06, 2012, 03:26 PM
If it flies.....I can crash it
I added a eflight heli tail gyro to my parkzone extra 300 elevator to see if it impoves it any, not that it was bad to start with but I wanted something to do lol
Sep 07, 2012, 05:15 PM
Fier Membre des Deplorables
Added rubber-band wing retention to the Dynam Cub...the OEM latch was pulling loose and the wing was loose on the fuselage. Also, added a proper landing gear (made for a larger plane) along with 3" DuBro wheels.
It tracks great, less flex means less ground-looping, and with the wing held tight, flying manners are more consistent.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion What did you steal from the field today? Jim Varley Arizona Model Aviators 9 Nov 09, 2011 10:14 AM
Discussion What did you fly today? xrx1113 Electric Plane Talk 4 Oct 25, 2011 09:37 PM
Discussion What's the most lights you have put on your HZ Champ and what did you use newflyer100 Micro Ready-to-Fly 0 Jul 12, 2011 10:27 PM
Discussion What did you do to/for your Heli today? roady89 Mini Helis 20 Oct 04, 2010 09:24 PM
Discussion What did you do for your planes today? This week? I'm Rick James Slope 135 Sep 25, 2008 09:21 PM