Oct 12, 2003, 10:33 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

cheap hi/po 2.9oz gullows 16" p40 warhawk

Just completed my warhawk.Need to glide test and fly.Guillows kits work great with cheap gws parts.dirrect drive ips50,gws3x2 prop,2 to 5 amp speed control,R4P RX,pico serves (2) A.E.,250ma li/po cells (3).AUW is 2.9 oz. I had to lighten everything up as much as I could. It should fly great if I got my CG correct. My hellcat at 3.7 oz flys great!! 12 minute flights with more than a 1/4 of the time at full throttle. over 2 1/4oz of thrust. I recomend this set up to anyone who wants an awsome micro war bird AND WANTS to spend about 30+ hours constructing .price is around 150.00 not including li/po charger and trx. I will help anyone who wants it on this thread (placement of gear,lightrening tequniques,covering material choice,proper CG.ETC).Hope someone is interested,I shure have a good time with mine! Matt P.S. sorry about no pictures.I should be set up for pictures in about 2 weeks.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2003, 11:00 PM
Sounds sweet I have a lot of plans in this wingspan that would probably work very well with the same approach (not to mention a few guillows 16" kits). Was this one of the 500 series planes?
Oct 12, 2003, 11:25 PM
Thread OP
yes. 500 series. I hope you have a magnifying glass or realy good eyes.Can't weight to hear of someone else flying these kits,there very impresive and fly great! I get at least 4 very axial rolls at speeds of about 25mph+! Loops from just over 1/2 throttle. Hauls *** at full throttle.Gets out of sight vertically VERY fast.What a wonderful bird! Keep in mind that i'm refering to my hellcat at 3.7oz. I'm shivering just thinking about how amazing the warhawk will be at 2.9oz .Yes thats 85 grams.This ips motor could be pulling about the same on 3 li/pos. anyway, have fun and build!!! Matt
Oct 13, 2003, 07:20 AM
bps
bps
I have a couple of these kits on the shelf. I am thinking of building a GWS block with rec 2 servos and speed controller to get these items as light as possible. Details and pictures of your project would be great.
Thanks
JEB
Oct 13, 2003, 10:32 AM
Thread OP
Hi Jeb, All I need is a conection between my camera and computer,I lost it and can't find it.Anyway,I will only be able to give writen help until I build my next Hellcat which will be a major screamer and not set up the same as the others.This one will use a razor 300 3x2 prop 2s 340ma li/pos and pull at least 5oz of thrust.Tested the combo on the bench and pulled 7amps(should unload nicely to 5 or 6 amps in flight).I think I can lighten this set up in the Hellcat to about 4oz using updated lightening tequniques that I used in construction of the Warhawk.I also have a few new ideas up my sleave.Lets talk when your ready Jeb or I will post pictures of my Razor Hellcats construction and a write up in the next months coming.You'll love these little planes,they fly great even if you don't go crazy on lightening them up! Talk to you soon,Matt.
Oct 14, 2003, 09:57 PM
Matthew,
I can't wait to see your pictures. You should try the gws 3x3 prop on the ips dd and either a kokam 340 or e-tec 700. Big difference in speed over the 3x2 with the e-tec 250. I have an acro bipe with the dd and 3x3 with the kokam 340 and it really moves out. AUW is 3.67 ounces and I can only image (sorry that is supposed to be imagine) a warbird with less drag must really haul.
Matt D.
ps the e-tec 250 can't quite supply the amp draw as well with the 3x3, much better with the 340 or 700
Oct 15, 2003, 02:18 AM
Thread OP
Matt,
I never realy thought of going to the 3x3 prop with the warbirds.I guess I didn't think about it for several resons.
(1)The Hellcat is hard to keep an eye on allready(especialy at full throttle on a dark day with all black monocote)and most flying is done with less than an 1/8" stick movement.
(2)the wraper the motor and props came in said not to exeed 3x2 prop and I am running 3s 250ma pack at startup 12 1/2 volts!Way over recomended 7.2v.The little 50 motor screams like mad! are you running a 3s 340 pack in your acro-bipe?
(3)I,ve bench tested the warhawk recently and it pulls 3.1amps,way over the recomended max 8c on the 250ma cells even if it unloads 30% in the air.

So I think I'm maxing this setup out(battery wise,like you are saying).Maybe the warhawk could handle the extra abuse and unload in flight more becase it only wheighs 2.9oz.Hmmmm-might have to try it a few times and be carefull with full throttle.I'd love to see the thing do 30+ . I could smoke the batteries in flight and have a beautiful WW2 reinactment of a p40 Warhawk going down in flames! I'll make shure to bring my fire extinguisher so as not to burn down to much of the local shool property.

Hey,I wonder if we could use the ducted fan 4.8 motor direct drive using a single 340ma li/po and over prop it to get a 3+amp draw for a major weight savings.What do ya think?
We would need a speed control that doesn't shut down or will shut down at 2 1/2 to 3 volts but, would it work then?

I'm flying my acro-bipe with a firefly 4to1 box 3s 250ma li/po pack 4 1/2x4 prop.AUW is 3.2oz and flys very well at a full throttle of about 1 amp draw and I get over 20min flights with throttle managment.Your acro must haul the mail damn well at 3+ amp draw.I've been thinking of doing your set up for quite some time now because I don't realy care if I get a shorter run time and i'm quite bored of going slow.I also have like to fly all the planes I bring to the park with me,so the acro-bipe usualy gets left unused most of the time.I use my slow parrot for slow relaxing flying,it doesn't matter that its slow because its so fun to watch.Anyway,are you on 3p 340 li/pos with your 3x3 prop and does it seem to be overloading the motor?

The only guillows 500 series 16" warbirds that can fit the 340ma li/pos in them are the radial style planes like my hellcat,well,without major mods anyway.

Well,thats about enough for tonight.Oh,and yes,these sub-micro warbirds DO realy haul! If you got enough time to build one,there a real kick in the pants and look beautiful just hagin' on the wall. Matt.
Oct 15, 2003, 02:29 AM
Thread OP
Someone ask again and I'll go into crazy detail on how I get 2.9oz on the warhawk and where to place the gear and batteries.I would be more inspired if someone was actually starting one of these micro guillows project.Maybe I could help while you build and take pictures along the way.
Matt
Oct 15, 2003, 04:25 AM
Your not alone,
I'm pretty sure I posted a pic of my spitfire but mines 1.2oz.
I'd be interested to now how long a "test Glide" you got at 2.9 oz's
Cheers
Glen
Oct 15, 2003, 10:49 AM
Thread OP
Glen
The Hellcat is 3.7oz and isn't a complete flying rock so I can only guess that the warhawk at 2.9oz with a high powered 2 1/2amp+ motor should fly very noticably better.I'll have it completly ready to fly very soon,I'll keep ya posted.

I thought your spitfire was under an ounce? Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly or you've changed things.
Matt
Oct 15, 2003, 12:51 PM
Yes, I did say it was under an ounce, don't know why, I must have been dreaming. It has definitely always been 34 grams.(1.2 oz) and it flies beautifully but not a lot of excess power.
In fact I would now say that of all the micro's I have had it is easily the easiest to fly and particularly to land.
Do please post pics asap
cheers
Glen
Oct 15, 2003, 01:09 PM
hi,

i like the idea of these!!

you mentioned that you use gws gear, are the servo's the pico's??

are there any other guillows kits that could be flwon with the edp50 set-up, possibly a bit bigger?? this is because i have all the gear and no model, but i dont really want something thats too fast, possibly a high winger??

cheers

nick
Oct 15, 2003, 02:36 PM
Thread OP
Glen
Interesting,so I'm asuming that your plane(being about the same size and design)wheighs about 24 to 26 grams without landing gear and electronics(just frame and covering).Hmmmm.....if this is correct the GWS pico gear,motor, servos,batts,rx,wires and the lot should wheigh about 60 grams or just over 2ozs.In the modifyed state my findings are---
50 motor and prop-------------------------------------------18 1/2g
speed control---------------------------------------------------2 1/2g
RX-----------------------------------------------------------------4 1/2g
pico servos(2)------------------------------------------------------11g
batteries------------------------------------------------------------16g
wires and linkages(probably more)-----------------------------3g
-----
55 1/2g
This sounds about right.
Anyway.
Wow,so your spitfire flies great! I've been studying these little planes for some time now and have gotten very little good feed back(infact other than your feed back,its been null and void).My hellcat flies great and it only makes scence that a much lighter version would fly nicely.If only we could find an inexpensive way to make your spitfire have way more power hmmmmmmm....

Skyhooks & riggings has a very light RX/speed control combo that might fit the bill and there are super light servos but,all this stuff cost to much.Damn it! Anyway, we could probably come up with a micro plane with this gear,pull about 2amps and weigh in the low 2oz zone and fly like the dickins! And all this with landing gear! awesome.I wish someone would do it.I may come up with the funds for it someday but,I will probably sooner use a razor 300 motor and 340ma li/po cells on my next hellcat project for a super hi/po outdoor bullet.wooohooo!

I don't have landing gear on my planes to save weight and I also don't have a smooth landing area,only a nice grassy school yard so I hand launch and belly land.

Matt
Oct 15, 2003, 02:55 PM
Thread OP
Nick
I would say yes (off the top of my head)
I'm not shure wich guillows kit you would use but,you should be able to do it with a 24"ish high wing model like a cub if you use all of the lightening tequneques that we can come up with.
If you search around for micro kits you may find a better/easyer/lighter kit to start with. Also you may find it better to use an IPS gearboxed 50 motor combo (like what comes in a gws tiger moth stock) to achieve more thrust at a lower speed like your interested in.
Yes,gws pico servos.
Anyway I hope this helps.

Matt
Oct 15, 2003, 05:49 PM
Mathew,
the weights in my plane are
My chassis, tail and elevator weigh 7 grams and the wing 7 grams, + ailerons , landing gear and actuators weigh 3 grams,
battery 4.6, reciever and stuff 4, motor and prop 8 grams.

So the plane all up is only 14 grams. I made it real light and then lightened it some more.

Quick Reply