Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Thread Tools
Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:14 PM
gldknight is offline
Find More Posts by gldknight
I fly, therefore I am.
Discussion

Double Horse 9118


Does Anyone out there have one of these?

I've got one of these coming, probably being delivered on Monday. The anticipation is killing me.

I've got a Syma S107 now, like it a lot, wanted something bigger, work in a warehouse nights, and want something to fly around when on break. The 9118 seemed like a nice step up.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:15 PM
gldknight is offline
Find More Posts by gldknight
I fly, therefore I am.
Ok, after much sweating (because I did a stupid thing and read the reviews for the website I got this heli from but only after I ordered it) My new 9118 showed up right on time today.

I didn't have time for photos, but of course the first thing I did after unpacking it was to read the directions and fully charge the battery. The directions weren't too bad actually considering.

After a full charge I plugged in the battery and turned everything on, BE CAREFUL HERE, make sure your throttle trim is all the way down. Mine was centered and as soon as the transmitter started talking to the heli, the blades started to spin. Good thing the heli was sitting in the clear and all my personal components were out of the way.

My first impression on starting up was the gears/motors make a lot of noise compared to my Syma S107.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it normal? Is there any easy way of making things less noisy?

I flew the heli around my warehouse for a few minutes just to get a feel for things, then shut 'er down. I'll recharge the battery after letting it cool for a bit.

There is a fast/slow switch on the transmitter, and this thing really wants to move even on the slow setting. This is my first electric mid sized coax, so don't really have anything to compare it to, but the thing seems to fly indoors at least, really well.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:16 PM
gldknight is offline
Find More Posts by gldknight
I fly, therefore I am.
Ok, have flown my 9118 a couple more times, seems like it is quieting down a little. Probably the motor brushes and gearing getting broken in.

Something I've found interesting, there are two trims for contolling yaw (spin).
There is a slider trim underneath the right thumb control and a turn knob above the right thumb control. I'm guessing the turn knob is for rough trim and the slider is for fine tuning?

This thing flies great inside. You really have to pay attention to the throttle/elevator if you want to try to maintain a level flight path.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:17 PM
gldknight is offline
Find More Posts by gldknight
I fly, therefore I am.
One real compaint I have with this heli, the recharge wiring that connects the battery to the charger is part of the heli and is very short, so connecting for a recharge is a kind of a PITA. Anyone know where I can get an "extension cord"?
Old Feb 09, 2012, 02:27 AM
gordonzo is offline
Find More Posts by gordonzo
Different fly 4 different guy
gordonzo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gldknight View Post
One real compaint I have with this heli, the recharge wiring that connects the battery to the charger is part of the heli and is very short, so connecting for a recharge is a kind of a PITA. Anyone know where I can get an "extension cord"?
I use these. I didn't buy them from this supplier but looks like a decent price for 10.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/10pcs-JST-XH-...item58923449ce
Old Feb 09, 2012, 02:50 AM
batarel is offline
Find More Posts by batarel
Registered User
Did you get this from bananahobby?



Quote:
Originally Posted by gldknight View Post
Ok, after much sweating (because I did a stupid thing and read the reviews for the website I got this heli from but only after I ordered it) My new 9118 showed up right on time today.

I didn't have time for photos, but of course the first thing I did after unpacking it was to read the directions and fully charge the battery. The directions weren't too bad actually considering.

After a full charge I plugged in the battery and turned everything on, BE CAREFUL HERE, make sure your throttle trim is all the way down. Mine was centered and as soon as the transmitter started talking to the heli, the blades started to spin. Good thing the heli was sitting in the clear and all my personal components were out of the way.

My first impression on starting up was the gears/motors make a lot of noise compared to my Syma S107.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it normal? Is there any easy way of making things less noisy?

I flew the heli around my warehouse for a few minutes just to get a feel for things, then shut 'er down. I'll recharge the battery after letting it cool for a bit.

There is a fast/slow switch on the transmitter, and this thing really wants to move even on the slow setting. This is my first electric mid sized coax, so don't really have anything to compare it to, but the thing seems to fly indoors at least, really well.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:45 PM
gldknight is offline
Find More Posts by gldknight
I fly, therefore I am.
Yeah, banana hobby, how'd you guess?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 02:51 PM
gldknight is offline
Find More Posts by gldknight
I fly, therefore I am.
A photo and a couple flight vids:
Old Feb 10, 2012, 02:53 PM
gldknight is offline
Find More Posts by gldknight
I fly, therefore I am.
Photo:
Old Feb 10, 2012, 03:55 PM
zetecmk2 is offline
Find More Posts by zetecmk2
Registered User
looks like my 9053...but with better paint!!! there's a 9053 thread on here, have a look and see what you think! i like it
Old Feb 10, 2012, 06:23 PM
gldknight is offline
Find More Posts by gldknight
I fly, therefore I am.
Thanks, I think someone mentioned the 9118 may be an upgrade of the 9053. Check out my in flight videos at https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1591999
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:44 AM
relic462 is offline
Find More Posts by relic462
Registered User
I'm new to helis so I bought a lesser expensive double horse 9118 from bananahobby. I charged it according to the instructions - staedy green light on charger. I took it outside to hover and adjust the trim but all it did was spin left and never lifted off. The trim control appeared not to work. I called bananahobby tech support and they said it sounded like a bad cell in the battery. Anybody have similar trouble?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:45 PM
gldknight is offline
Find More Posts by gldknight
I fly, therefore I am.
I don't have a lot of experience with these, but seems to me more likely to be a bad motor. If the battery had a bad cell, I think it would not work at all.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:29 AM
relic462 is offline
Find More Posts by relic462
Registered User
Thanks. I'll check it out
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:54 PM
zetecmk2 is offline
Find More Posts by zetecmk2
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by relic462 View Post
I'm new to helis so I bought a lesser expensive double horse 9118 from bananahobby. I charged it according to the instructions - staedy green light on charger. I took it outside to hover and adjust the trim but all it did was spin left and never lifted off. The trim control appeared not to work. I called bananahobby tech support and they said it sounded like a bad cell in the battery. Anybody have similar trouble?
isnt it these that re-set the trim to central position every time you turn the helicopter on? so if the trim ajuster on the transmitteris fully, say left. the heli will be in the central position, but you can only ajust to the right if you didn't centralise the trim in the transmitter?
always centralise the trim on the transmitter before turning on. may sort it


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Double Horse 9100 super_dork Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 4 Jul 30, 2011 06:56 PM
Discussion Double Horse 9074 Rear rotor problem and tweaking? NuclearCroissant Coaxial Helicopters 0 Mar 14, 2011 08:36 PM