Old Feb 07, 2012, 11:43 PM
Find More Posts by payne9999
Balsa&Tissue
Contest

Funbuild 5 Tritle B-17 Build

Tonight I started a build from Tritle plans using vac formed parts from Sparky.

I haven't cut this much balsa from sheets by hand since my days as a 12 year old with piles of Comet model kits.

My insiration for this was a flight on the real B-17G "Aluminum Overcast" and a chance to meet Robert Morgan when he was still living. Robert sat and talked with my wife and I one afternoon about the real experience in the "Belle". I am not sure if I will make it a Memphis Belle or not at this point. Here is a scale model I built:

Tracing and cutting, tracing and cutting.....
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2012, 05:59 AM
Find More Posts by jofrost
It flew once before...
Have only seen one other of these built ( other than Pats ) This is quite an undertaking ( cutting them all by hand

Looking forward to this one ! Will this be brushless or with the original designs geared SP400s ?

-John
Old Feb 08, 2012, 06:49 AM
Find More Posts by kenbwa39
Will be watching this. I have always liked the B-17.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 08:10 AM
Balsa&Tissue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofrost View Post
Have only seen one other of these built ( other than Pats ) This is quite an undertaking ( cutting them all by hand

Looking forward to this one ! Will this be brushless or with the original designs geared SP400s ?

-John
I want to make it brushless and I am looking at motors that are low KV but about 130 to 150 watts. Also trying to find a motor that can swing a 8-9 inch 3 bladed prop as well. Right now my DC-6 has 250 size motors and they are doing well with a 6 or 7" 3 blade.

The parts cutting thing wasn't too bad, there aren't as many pieces as I expected. The formers for the nacelles have almost 50 parts but the rest of the plane is not bad.

Dave
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:33 AM
Find More Posts by immelman50
I used this one on mine and it turns a 9X5 GWS 3 blade well. Power is good, more than needed really . It has much more than the speed 400 mini olympus combo originally used. Good luck with your build, mine was from the kit, I don't envy you the cutting of all those notches accurately.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...0-Sport/Detail
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:53 AM
Balsa&Tissue
Quote:
Originally Posted by immelman50 View Post
I used this one on mine and it turns a 9X5 GWS 3 blade well. Power is good, more than needed really . It has much more than the speed 400 mini olympus combo originally used. Good luck with your build, mine was from the kit, I don't envy you the cutting of all those notches accurately.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...0-Sport/Detail
I was looking at the same motor but a 400 size. However, I don't build as light as Tritle does so the 450 would be a good option. I like Headsup and use them for most of my power systems. They are a really good vendor.

My project is on hold until at least Winter. Been slowly migrating to multi-motor stuff as I am bored with most single motor planes. I am fascinated with large but light airliners, warbirds and transport planes. I am trying to sell several planes to make room in the hanger.

Right now I am working on a DH Dragon and soon a Dornier DO X (12 motors).

Dave