Helios and XXLite DLG - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by Wave Glider, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 07, 2012, 08:42 PM
Kyle Clayton
New Product

Helios and XXLite DLG

The Helios and XXLite are excellent, high performance DLGs manufactured in Belgium, and I am glad to say that they are available here in the US!

NEW! Website for the Helios and XXLite! http://www.compositegliders.com/

The Helios excels in 2 areas that are highly criticial to DLG competition. First, the range of this bird is remarkable. No longer will you be afraid that the lift that just blew by you is too far away. In all honesty, what limits the travel range of this plane is your limit of vision. The increased range and penetration will feel MILES beyond anything you were accustomed to. The Helios has excellent penetration coming back home from deep down wind, even in strong head winds. Second, it handles turbulent air very well. A little bit of ballast added, and you can tame some monster wind and still make it back home for a hand catch. Both of these performance characteristics are due to the well balanced design and the very thin Zone V2 foils used for the wing. This foil is revolutionary, there is no other word for it. Don't let the high penetration and ranging fool you though, it is also perfectly at home slowing down to handle low lift/dead air. It does all of this, yet is still a very user friendly bird with easy flight characteristics.

***2013 update*** All Helios produced are now Helios 2. Prices will remian the same as the Helios 1.

The XXLite takes the Helios and goes a step further, more high performance, more radical in design. It's a new and very innovative design that utilizes the same Zone V2 foils matched to a wing planform with an extremely high A/R. This model is truly on the forefront of DLG design, it retains the full 1.5M span and full span ailerons, but has a root chord a mere 135mm wide and an AUW ranging from 200-240g depending on layup (we've found that ~230g is the perfect weight for it). There is no other DLG currently on the market like it. The design goals for this plane were to have a very low AUW yet be able to launch very high, range far, and handle high winds and turbulence with very little ballast. Without a doubt, these goals have been met. Launch heights of 60+M are being recorded, my personal launches improved an easy 20' from my Helios. All 4 servos are placed in the pod, as the wing is so thin, there are no servos currently produced that will fit into the wings. With all this in the pod, there is also still room for a ballast set. All options (wingbags, ballast, etc) and tail choices are the same as the Helios, therefore the prices on those options are the same.

Prices
Helios 2 Samurai FST Carbon kit - $785
Helios 2 Samurai FST wing only - $530
XXLite Samurai FST kit - $755
Tails, Carbon Fiber Veil (CFV) or Fiberglass - $50 per peice, $100 per set
Fuselage - $155
Ballast kit - $40
Wing Servo Install (Not available for XXLite, its aileron servos mount in the fuse) - $150
Carbon pushrods & teflon tubing- $15
Carbon pushrods installed in the fuse- $50

Shipping - $50 in CONUS

****EDIT 10/17/12, full carbon (FST) tails are no longer an option, they are too heavy for practical use.

****EDIT 10/26/12, Ballast kits will only come with 20-40-60-80g slugs for the Helios and 20-40-60g for the XXLite. It has been proven that in no condition is anything more than 80g is required to suitably fly either model. Due to the tubes orientation in the XXLite, anything larger lengthwise than the 60g slug is hard to fit and typically interferes with the aileron pushrods.

****EDIT 11/19/12, Disser Dbox and Disser Helios layups are no longer avilable, the Carboline FST wing has proven to be a better alternative to them as it is stronger, tougher, and lighter than both the Dbox and Disser layups.

****EDIT 5/7/13, Vladimir FST is no longer available, some issues with the fabric were causing finishing problems with the wings. Until this issue can be sorted out, Samurai FST will be the only available wing layup.

****EDIT 6/30/13, Wing bags currently unavailable, will update when this changes.

Tails
CFV (carbon fiber veil) - Lightest tail option, rohacell moulded with carbon fleece skin. Full sets average 9g.
Fiberglass (glass) - Tougher than CFV (hangar rash, both are plenty strong for launching), average 12g per set, and can be painted to match the wing.

Kit Breakdown

Samurai FST is a spread tow fabric that looks like conventional woven 1k tows, but has a tighter weave and is the strongest layup. Average Helios AUW is 270-300g, XXlite AUW is 220-240g. The variation in the AUW depends mainly on the tail selection and radio gear selected. The Helios fuse will fit up to a DS285's and other similar sized servos, but the servo tray is pre cut for a D47/DS65K sized servo. Wings need Hyperions DS09's, Airtronics 94802's, or MKS DS65's to fit flush and are top driven. The XXLite due to its small fuse compartment can only use D47's or similarly small servos for the rudder and elevator. It can fit DS285's on the ailerons because they are laid down in the fuse. The Hyperions and ATX's also work. The fuses for both models are 2.4 safe, the nose layup consists of Kevlar with a layer of black fiberglass on the outside. All kits come standard with your choice of tails and color and a complete hardware kit. The ballast kit includes 20-40-60g slugs and a carbon tube to contain them in the fuse. Wing servo install is an option where I will provide and install the servos in the wings for you and verify proper throws and operation. When you receive the kit, it will be ready to fly minus installing the throw blade. Wing bags are made by me, they are made from HVAC aluminized bubble wrap R4 insulation. This is a similar material to the windsheild sun blockers, but it is thicker, and much more protective against both impact and heat damage. Carbon pushrods are .030" and come with etched teflon tubing. They are optional if you prefer to use them over the provided pull string system. For the pushrod install option, I will install them internally in the fuse for you, you will still have to hook them up to the surfaces and servos once they are installed.

Helios Assembly
The kit can be assembled in a very short amount of time. 80% of the fabrication is done when you recevie it.
1) complete the wing. This should only take about an hour or 2. The servo locations and pushrod slot locations are now posted in the Helios build thread. The pushrods, control horns, and servo covers are in the hardware kit. The pushrods can be done 2 ways, the way provided is a thin wire that is bent to shape, then sleeved with a hollow carbon tube (also provided) to make it strong. See here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...76&postcount=1
The other way is standard heavy gauge music wire unsleeved, .047" is a perfect size for the job, like here: https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...%233%20785.jpg
Once the servos are in, all thats left is to mount the throwing blade, which is also provided. See here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9&postcount=14
You can also install it with epoxy as I did, here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=165 **NOTE** the wing bolt holes come pre-drilled now.
2) install the servo tray and optional ballast tube. The tray slides in there easily, slide it as far forward as you can and still remove your battery. Scuff up the inside of the fuse really good where it will glue and then simply glue in with medium CA. Finished product should look like this: https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...%233%20788.jpg
To mount the ballast tube, scuff it up really well with some sandpaper and the inside of the fuse. Simply slide it in so that the opening is flush with the end of the hatch opening, and drip thin CA down the sides to glue it in. That will hold it well enough. See here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=172
And here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=173
Final step is to glue the magnet that retains the hatch. There is a silver M4 screw in the hardware kit that threads into the servo tray between the two servos. The head of the screw is what the magnet attaches to to close the hatch. Adjust the screw so that the with the magnet on it, the hatch will close flush. Then scuff the inside of the hatch where the magnet hits it, put a dab of 5 minute epoxy on there, close the lid and let it dry. See here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=163
3) mark the pull line and wing plug exit holes. Run the control lines. See the link above for that.
4) Install the tails. The stab is ready to go, simply glue in the horn and torsion spring and its ready to go. The vertical can be installed 2 ways. The standard way is to side mount it. There is a small cut out peice provided that looks similar to one of the control horns. Install like this: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=299
Simply scuff the flat side of the fuse and the side of vertical where it will join, and glue on with some medium or thin CA. You can also install the vertical more tradtional style like I did here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=174
5) balance and go fly! If you did it right, finished product should look like this: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=471

Set up & flying
I like my CG at 73-75mm from the LE. The plane is very lively and signals even the lightest lift at this setting. Mfr recommendation is 68-70mm LE. Others have found success from 65mm all the way back to 85mm. Start at the recommended 68-70mm and move around until you're comfortable. If you fly in a mainly windy area, I would recommend staying at the Mfr setting, maybe slightly forward of it. If you fly in a calmer area, I would recommend moving it back. The servo tray also has three holes in it near the back. This is where the ballast wire clips in and is retained. The holes allow you to minutely change the CG with the ballast, by sliding the ballast forward and locking it into a further forward hole.
Ailerons: +/-10mm both ways
Rudder: +/-13mm both ways
A/R mixing: Varies per personal preference, I use 80%
Elevator: max down w/o hitting the boom, +5mm
Camber: Speed/Launch 0mm, Cruise 2-4mm (depends on CG), Thermal/Float 4-6mm (depends on CG)
Flaps: Max down deflection, -3mm elevator
Cruise speed is faster than most DLG's. Thermal speed is about the same as cruise in other DLG's. Speed mode is fast! Camber can also be dialed in manually up to almost half landing flaps to slow it down to crawl in lift if you need it. However, even in light lift, this plane prefers fly faster than most. Stay smooth and she will be very happy. Again, all of these settings are just starting points. Go from there and tune to your preference.

If you have any questions on availability, set up, or pricing, feel free to contact me on here via PM or through my email at claytonkr05@gmail.com.
Last edited by Wave Glider; Nov 25, 2013 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Updated information
to remove ads between posts
Apr 30, 2012, 07:41 PM
R/C Soaring "Lifer."

The XXLite really performs!

The 2012 International Hand Launch Glider Festival in Poway, CA just concluded yesterday and the XXLite performed impressively. Michael Stern of Great Brittain flew this model and it was something to see. Launch height for an 8.1 ounch airplane was among--if not--the highest on the field - Michael has great technique but the high A/R and thin section make this thing climb out like a ballistic missile.

The ranging in windy conditions was also impressive - it gets real windy at Poway and you need to chase downwind. The XXLite got back very nicely. It performed equally well in the light conditions and the high launch was also helpful.

I also saw Michael low and in trouble twice where he ran downwind at low level and was able to hook up, get his time and get back to the field. Awesome! I want one.
May 29, 2012, 10:40 AM
I just came across this thread. I was really happy (read 'over the moon') with XXLite at Poway. I had only a single 1hr session with it before heading to Poway, so was not sure I would even use it in the comp. But after a promising practice day on the Friday, I decided I would use it and did, in all but one round. It was only my conservative start to the event that cost me a possible win.

I followed up Poway with a very good showing at our UK eurotour event, being narrowly beaten by Loet Wakkerman. I should have won it, but two silly tactical errors let Loet by. The XX was superb in the challenging conditions which were quite windy at times.

Let me add that I still have not used any ballast, flying the whole of the Poway event and the eurotour event at 230g AUW.

I have two more XXLites coming, one Samurai and a Vald. I will be campaigning these at the European Champs in France this year.
Jul 26, 2012, 08:30 PM
Chicago Mayor: A Terrorist
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecondon
Awesome! I want one.
I want one just because of the looks of this thing
Jul 27, 2012, 08:26 AM
AECS USN RET. P3 FE
Kyle,
Saw your "for sale" thread on RCG and you mentioned that the fuse is 2.4 compatible ! I wasn't aware of that and it sure makes assembly and planning a little easier.You might want to add that fact in as a note to post 1 of this thread,probably not a deal breaker but certainly one for the + side
Allan