Feb 07, 2012, 05:43 PM
Thread OP
Question

pica 1/8 Corsair kit tail or nose heavy?

Hi,
I will be starting soon working on a Pica 1/8 Corsair .60 kit. I am in the process of selecting an engine, and I'd like to put a RCV 90SP. However,
I am wondering if this kit comes tail or nose heavy. RCV engines are 20 to 40% heavier than similar displacement standard 4-stroke
engines. If the plane is tail heavy, I do not mind the extra weight (rather have weight in a cool engine than dead lead), but I do not want to have to add further weight in the tail if the plane is nose heavy to begin with...

Thanks
Alberto
Last edited by ululi1970; Feb 07, 2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Wrong title
to remove ads between posts
Feb 08, 2012, 02:52 PM
This kit was designed with the nose longer than what is scale and the plane balances quite well. Your RCV should be fine. The tail builds light. There is a design flaw in the in that the rudder horn interferes with the fuselage side which requires you to cut out a relief hole. The tail section tapers to a point so keep that in mind if you have to add weight; there may be no place to put it.
Feb 08, 2012, 09:08 PM
Thread OP
Thank you! I will watch out for the rudder horn.
Feb 11, 2012, 09:03 PM
Thread OP
I started looking at the kit and noticed that no mention is made of 4 stroke engines.
Usually, other kits indicate the appropriate range for both 2 and 4 stroke engines.
I wonder if this was really an oversight,, or the kit was specifically designed for lighter
2 stroke engines... I guess I can wait to sheet the very last section of the tail and see.
I'd really like to use a 4 stroke ....

Quick Reply