Feb 07, 2012, 03:45 PM
I'm actually kind of nice?
Thread OP
Idea

MD Area Monthly Contest?

Ok so to stop hijacking Jim's thread here we go. It seems there is interest on more regular practice contests in the md area. I for one would be thrilled to see this happen. As much as I like the frank and Oleg show when I go to contests the big dirty and reto show seems like it would be entertaining too. So the question is who would be interested and where would we do this. I will talk to bass and see if this can be arranged at the bass filed but it looks like a good mid point would be the casa field as Baltimore looks to be the northern area for interested pilots.

So if you are interested post here so we can find a good field. I figure with 21+ pilots if we had regular 50% attendance we can run pretty solid contests 1 a month.

Let's show NC they are not the only game on the east coast.

Austin
Last edited by austinhlg; Aug 09, 2021 at 09:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2012, 04:02 PM
G_T
G_T
My time availability is a bit random, but I'm interested.

Gerald
Feb 07, 2012, 04:12 PM
Oleg Golovidov
In the meanwhile, you are welcome to join our next practice mini-event in Wilson this coming Sunday
Feb 07, 2012, 04:49 PM
Aurora Builder
CASA works for me, or a rotating field schedule. My issue with the sanctioned fields is most require a membership fee; often DESS practices are held at a public park, no membership required (although most participants pay the very low yearly fees). I have 1 field that doesn't require membership but it is a 2 hour drive for most folks.

Wish I could make it to Wilson this weekend but no San Felasco and another 9 hours of driving on one weekend counts me out quickly! You do learn A LOT flying against the Oleg and Frank "show'"-I consider it more of a stunt routine mixed with crazy brain power in a twist only NC can dish up!
Feb 07, 2012, 08:39 PM
F3B and F3K
I am interested too. Big dirty and I occasionally battle it out at CASA ( when it is ugly weather so that the electric foam squadron can't fly).
Reto
Latest blog entry: Pull-pull: back to the roots
Feb 07, 2012, 09:02 PM
I'm sure with Jims project, the Frederick Model Aircraft Club would be willing to host a practice session in addition to the "Pro-Am" event Jim is planning. The club rents the field, and I'm sure wouldn't mind if competitors wanted to make a contribution. At least with the DLG's, we don't have any noise to tick off the neighbors.

Brad
Feb 07, 2012, 10:00 PM
Who needs a pilot??
I'd like to hop in on this too if that's cool. CASA is about the same distance from me as CCRC, and those guys aren't flying much hand-launch (though they are trying to hold a glider-day every other month).

Dan
Feb 08, 2012, 07:51 AM
My availability is a bit hard to predict, but I'm interested as well.
Feb 08, 2012, 11:21 AM
Duane, LSF IV
I'm interested, though CASA is a little far for me to be there every month.
Feb 08, 2012, 11:59 AM
G_T
G_T
Where in nothern virginia? I'm in NoVA and it is about 40 minutes for me.

Gerald
Feb 08, 2012, 01:27 PM
Duane, LSF IV
It's about an hour and twenty minute's drive for me. I live near Horsefeathers.
Feb 08, 2012, 02:02 PM
Aurora Builder
I was going to suggest the CCRC field but that is no closer to you Wazmo.

If you want to get better some sacrifices are going to have to be made, CASA is at least a 1.5 hour drive for me. The DESS crowd has guys driving over 2 hours each way to practice (I drove 4.5 hours each way for last weekends practice, amongst other things in Raleigh like good beer). If there is a field near Fredericksburg, I would be open to that as well since its the same distance as to CASA for me and some other folks on this list.
Last edited by samc99us; Feb 08, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
Feb 08, 2012, 02:07 PM
Kyle Clayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazmo
It's about an hour and twenty minute's drive for me. I live near Horsefeathers.
An hour twenty? I wish everyday I lived that close to an active dlg crowd!
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Feb 08, 2012, 05:14 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Glider
An hour twenty? I wish everyday I lived that close to an active dlg crowd!
I wouldn't talk. You are still A LOT closer to the action than I am!!!
Feb 08, 2012, 11:24 PM
Jim C
I am glad we have some chatter going for a regular fun day in the area. I know of no perfect field to do this on at this time as every field has some small issue. I think we should just pick a place to do it or share among a couple on a rotation to see how it goes.

Brad, I think our field for club members will work to practice a little, but to host one of these fun days it would be very limited. The rule of thumb for space is 30m square per pilot. The runway is too small for that. The other thing is the desire and need to fly 360 airspace based on prevailing winds. The power lines and homes make that a little tough at FMAC.

I have been thinking about where to hold this Pro AM contest to make it realistic. If we can find a temporary use field in the area, it would be great. I am open to ideas if anyone has one. If not we will be contacting clubs in the area for a shot at a one day. If we do find a suitable one day location at a park or field, that may end up being our best "practice day" area as well.

I am excited. I think we are getting to critical mass!

Frank! Dial 1-800-WAA-AAAA then call the MegaBus and hop a ride down to join us at Balitmore! Oh, and BRING A ROUND TIMER!!!!!

Quick Reply