Delrin Gear Upgrade on WL-v911 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by Heli Pad, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 07, 2012, 12:46 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Mini-Review

Delrin Gear Upgrade on WL-v911

The Delrin gear is a drop-in replacement. Replacing it is quite simple, especially if you could remove the skids. Loosen the locking screw on the original gear. It is one long screw through the shaft. Then you would wiggle the gear downwards, while pulling the shaft and everything attached to it upward. The original gear comes off, and you could just install the new gear in reverse steps. Make sure the screw is at the bottom. While the gear is out, it is a great opportunity to lube the lower bearings and the motor if you so desire.

As MassiveOverkill has shared, the Delrin gear is thicker but barely heavier. See post #2650 of the v911 thread, and Daryoon's comparison below. It is less wobbly than the original. I still detect a tiny bit of wobble.

One interesting feature is the fan spokes of the Delrin gear. By your comments, you've all noticed that the spokes are arranged like a fan, drawing air away from above and pushing it down. It is designed to do that and even if I could reverse the gear (as some of you has suggested) the direction of the air flow would not be changed, and it shouldn't be. Because the air flow is from top to bottom. You don't want that changed.

The most interesting question then is: Does the design of the fan spokes do anything? To answer that question, I setup a small experiment. I benched my v911 on a digital scale and I removed the head of my v911, thereby removing the blades and the flybar. With the v911 benched on the scale, I reset it to zero. Then I apply thrust. To my surprise, that little fan within the gear did generate measurable lift! 0.25g of lift is not much, but it does positively showed thrust! And it showed that it help the air flow through that motor.

Performance wise, I've only flown it indoor so far, so I'll reserve my judgment until I have a chance to better evaluate it outdoor. But it should be at least as good as before, if not better. 1st impression was that it was noisier than before. Again, I don't have a meter measuring it. And it was indoor, so it is also louder than what I'm used to.

Overall, I like it A LOT. (Thanks, jlk69). I would recommend it, just for the fact that it is BLACK and it doesn't stand out from the rest of the helicopter; that it is thicker and stronger; that it improves the air flow through the frame; and it added lift to the helicopter.

So, that's my mini-review for now. Stay tuned for further evaluation.
Last edited by Heli Pad; Feb 10, 2012 at 05:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2012, 01:28 PM
Team WarpSquad
LOL. Good job on the mini review. Makes me want to get one! Oh, wait...JLK69 also gave me one. Thanks again Jon!!!

My take? I like that it's black. Whether it improves performance any...I don't know. It's delrin and it's black. Makes my heli look cooler. So that means it flies better. Isn't that how it works?

Edit to add relevant photo:
Last edited by Daryoon; Feb 07, 2012 at 01:38 PM.
Feb 07, 2012, 01:43 PM
my precious Corter
It works exactly like that.
I removed warnings from main rotor blades with non-aceton nail polish remover and allready the Corter flies better
But I will NEVER make that R into P !
Feb 07, 2012, 03:39 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
The delrin gear has also been used on the Solo Pro, you know, the heli it was designed for in the first place ( ) and it was also found to be a little noisier. Not that odd as the "fan-spokes" have extra resistance.
Feb 07, 2012, 06:44 PM
RC Aircraft Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad
(Thanks, jlk69)
Heli Pad, you a very welcome. BTW, it is not like I paid extra to get the delrin gear. One order gets you a total of 4 gears and I have only 2 Bravo's LOL.
Apr 04, 2012, 11:59 PM
Custom quad builder
Wear can I get that gear
Apr 05, 2012, 12:26 AM
Custom quad builder
Wear can I get that gear
Apr 05, 2012, 01:13 AM
You could get it from Miracle Mart.
Jan 16, 2014, 03:34 PM
Hey guys what would you recommend to increase the v911's FFF thnx
Jan 16, 2014, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xwalt
Hey guys what would you recommend to increase the v911's FFF thnx
I think the V911's FFF speed is really limited by that Flybar on top. The stabilization limits the attack angle of the helicopter. To truly defeat that limitation, one has to go to a Flybarless (FBL) helicopter. But if you are talking about what you could do to increase the V911's speed, I would probably shift the center of gravity forward and shed excess weight.
Jan 17, 2014, 06:46 AM
By? , i was thinking of the benma flybar+delrin gear+solid cf boom+ pro parts upgrade bag+fisheye swash+cf shaft+200 mah -tc(25c) batteries.....
Jan 17, 2014, 12:02 PM
Woo-woo, after all that, could you still call it a V911? LOL.

Modding is part of this hobby. Just go slow, and change one thing at a time to see the changes. Otherwise, you get a completely new bird. Either it works great, and you have no idea which mod was giving it the most upgrade, or it flies horrible and you don't know which mod is failing.
Jan 17, 2014, 12:27 PM
Yeah lol ok, i checked on ebay a delrin gear is 20$
Jan 17, 2014, 01:57 PM
Seriously? LOL. See post #8
Jan 17, 2014, 02:48 PM
Yeah ill chk miraclemart, ny idea how to check shipping costs