Dec 09, 2012, 04:42 PM
To the credit of Gens Ace, the pack is about 2 years old and I have flown the snot out of this one. I have always balance charged and kept them at storage voltage though. I suppose everything has a service life. Just a shame that you can only get 100 or so cycles out of a pack. Look at your cell phone and how many cycles that battery gets!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2012, 04:46 PM
3d NOOBular
Thread OP
I think age plays a factor as well as the number of cycles. I'd say if your battery is two years old you can't ask much from it now. Anyone have packs they have been flying much longer than that?
Dec 09, 2012, 04:48 PM
Yea I agree, I cant complain as the pack is still cheaper per flight than Glo fuel would be and maybe even gas.
Dec 09, 2012, 06:25 PM
Just go with the flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebwake
To the credit of Gens Ace, the pack is about 2 years old and I have flown the snot out of this one. I have always balance charged and kept them at storage voltage though. I suppose everything has a service life. Just a shame that you can only get 100 or so cycles out of a pack. Look at your cell phone and how many cycles that battery gets!

We're not hovering, torque rolling, pulling WOT verticles on our cell phones
Dec 09, 2012, 06:36 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Its our amp draw that does it. High discharge packs don't last as long. 2 years is about right for replacement. I had 400+ cycles on mine at 2 years and they were getting weak. My 1.5 year old ones are still going strong and they also have a ton of cycles. My larger gen ace packs have been the BEST batteries l have ever owned.
Dec 09, 2012, 06:53 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebwake
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyhighrc
We're not hovering, torque rolling, pulling WOT verticles on our cell phones
And....Cell phones use lithium ion batteries, not lithium polymer...

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My old shop....
Dec 09, 2012, 07:02 PM
3d NOOBular
Thread OP
Steve I don't know what the difference is but lipos are certainly lithium ion batteries.
Dec 09, 2012, 07:08 PM
Lithium Ion, and Lithium Polymer batteries are similar, but not the same. Lithium Ion, pack do not have as high discharge rate as Lithium Polymer, which is one reason they are not used in model aircraft. Lithium Polymer batteries were derived from Lithium Ion, but, they are not the same. Lithium Polymer has a different chemical composition also have a completely different physical structure....

SteveT
Last edited by SteveT.; Dec 09, 2012 at 07:18 PM.
Dec 09, 2012, 07:26 PM
ProBro, 3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic
Its our amp draw that does it. High discharge packs don't last as long. 2 years is about right for replacement. I had 400+ cycles on mine at 2 years and they were getting weak. My 1.5 year old ones are still going strong and they also have a ton of cycles. My larger gen ace packs have been the BEST batteries l have ever owned.
+1, my 6s-5300mAh GensAce have been stellar so far. I'll be pissed if I only get 100 cycles out of them. I baby them, bring them down at 3.7-3.8v/cell and always balance charging the. Charles has lots of data on cycles and age of various mfg./pack sizes in the battery/charging forums. That said, my 3s-450mAh Gens Ace used don't last long in my foamy. 3s-2200's and 4s-2500's seem good so far.
Dec 09, 2012, 07:48 PM
Santi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT.
Lithium Ion, and Lithium Polymer batteries are similar, but not the same. Lithium Ion, pack do not have as high discharge rate as Lithium Polymer, which is one reason they are not used in model aircraft. Lithium Polymer batteries were derived from Lithium Ion, but, they are not the same. Lithium Polymer has a different chemical composition also have a completely different physical structure....

SteveT
Lithium ion packs ARE use in model aircraft, just usually found as a receiver or ignition pack... Far more stable, with less side effects from a short, which is why they are a better choice for the receiver and ignition batts... Giant scale flyers hate using lipo's and usually stick to lions..
Dec 09, 2012, 08:23 PM
3d NOOBular
Thread OP
Steve I did some research and have come to the same conclusion as you about what the industry names stuff... They are both using lithium ions in their chemistry though. The terms have been normed on over time. Lithium ion is a certain chemistry that has been around the longest and has therefore gained the name... sort of like people asking for a kleenex. That being said, lithium polymer packs are still lithium ion batteries from a strictly chemical composition point of view. I didn't realize the battery business distinguished them from each other they way they do so I showed my ignorance. Sorry to start an argument...
Dec 09, 2012, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D
Lithium ion packs ARE use in model aircraft, just usually found as a receiver or ignition pack... Far more stable, with less side effects from a short, which is why they are a better choice for the receiver and ignition batts... Giant scale flyers hate using lipo's and usually stick to lions..
Yes, they are, and I should have clarified myself in that respect. I was just thinking of the power for the motors etc.

SteveT
Dec 09, 2012, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke
Steve I did some research and have come to the same conclusion as you about what the industry names stuff... They are both using lithium ions in their chemistry though. The terms have been normed on over time. Lithium ion is a certain chemistry that has been around the longest and has therefore gained the name... sort of like people asking for a kleenex. That being said, lithium polymer packs are still lithium ion batteries from a strictly chemical composition point of view. I didn't realize the battery business distinguished them from each other they way they do so I showed my ignorance. Sorry to start an argument...
No argument my friend.....just two friends having a pleasant Sunday afternoon discussion... I was not the least bit upset, I hope you were not either....

SteveT
Dec 09, 2012, 11:45 PM
3d NOOBular
Thread OP
Nope not upset
Dec 10, 2012, 06:29 AM
Another reason why guys use a123 lion batteries is weight. I run 2x 6.6v 4600 mAh packs in my big extra that weigh about the same as a single 2s 5000 LiPo.

Quick Reply