Thread Tools
Oct 14, 2012, 07:46 AM
3D Addict
alfabeast's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNFSolutions
Do you fly the velox on gas or electric?
I flew my 68-in velox on a dle 20 and hacker a50-16s. Started with the gas set-up - my first. I liked the sound, it made the plane "mucho macho" But tuning the engine constantly was not for me. ANd all that extra crap in the fuse - kill switch, tubing, ignition, ign batt, throttle and choke servo. Plus it started to smell like my old wooden boat bilge. I had to store it in the garage instead of the house.

Back to electric after one last deadstick and dump in the weeds. The plane seemed "smaller" but more manageable. Nothing like going to the field, 2 wing bolts, add battery, velcro strap, plug in connectors, canopy on, and off we go. The gas guys are still futzing around getting the support gear out of the truck.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2012, 07:52 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeast
I flew my 68-in velox on a dle 20 and hacker a50-16s. Started with the gas set-up - my first. I liked the sound, it made the plane "mucho macho" But tuning the engine constantly was not for me. ANd all that extra crap in the fuse - kill switch, tubing, ignition, ign batt, throttle and choke servo. Plus it started to smell like my old wooden boat bilge. I had to store it in the garage instead of the house.

Back to electric after one last deadstick and dump in the weeds. The plane seemed "smaller" but more manageable. Nothing like going to the field, 2 wing bolts, add battery, velcro strap, plug in connectors, canopy on, and off we go. The gas guys are still futzing around getting the support gear out of the truck.
Seems like both setups have advantages and disadvantages. Other than longer flight times and less turnaround between flights, seems like the electric offers better performance.
Oct 14, 2012, 08:02 AM
Registered User
nebwake's Avatar
I have way more support gear for my electrics than my gassers. If I only take a gas plane I only grab a transmitter and fuel can. That said, smaller gas engines are a pain and I have had poor results with them (DLE's) My larger gas engines (DA 150, and RCS-SV 50) have been great and are very reliable.
Oct 14, 2012, 08:04 AM
Registered User
shadow102's Avatar
the way to get around the gas smell is to use vpracing small engine fuel. a little more expensive but better for the engine and no smell
Oct 14, 2012, 08:13 AM
Registered User
nebwake's Avatar
Stihl HP ultra oil and regular 87 octaine smells great and leaves very little residue unless you are too rich. I only wipe my planes down in the winter.
Oct 14, 2012, 09:31 AM
Registered User
Trill's Avatar

Writing a book


Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeast
good write-up! You are right, the slick 71 does inspire confidence in down low. I had a 68-in velox and liked it a lot. But I'm more tuned into the slick. Am getting better at torque rolls and belly-facing hover. Another big plus for the slick - IMO - is no SFG's. They are a pain in the butt - I hate any field assy at all, and big ones can get dinged on TO and landing too. (Yak 46 RIP) I have noticed the slick is good in gusty wind also. Fast servos have made a big diff on the confidence too. I went from 985mg to savox 1258 and gained better control in rolling harriers. I can make them go straight or either direction (after hours of practice!) Went to a full digital Futaba receiver from analog, and that helped with the 50% decrease in latency on the 8FG. All those equipment improvements might not be felt on a crappy plane. I can also feel the difference when I fly with 6s4000's vs the 5000's. Just a few oz makes it feel way different to me.
Delighted the post was of interest to you! After editing and revising the "Moving from 60" planes to 70" planes" post many times, I felt like I was writing a book.

Now that I think about it a book, even if only an ebook, by a professional level pilot comparing the Edges, Extras, Lasers, MXSs, Sbachs, Slicks, Yaks, etc. would be beneficial. Instruction on setup and equipment options would be useful and help make it a best seller.

Perhaps information such as mentioned above is already available in multimedia format. But I have not seen instruction on airframe characteristics, setup, equipment options and capabilities, flight characteristics and differences, etc. all in one handy manual.

Happy landings!
Last edited by Trill; Oct 14, 2012 at 11:18 AM.
Oct 14, 2012, 09:43 AM
Santi
DaaBears's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill
Delighted the post was helpful to you! After editing and revising the "Moving from 60" planes to 70" planes" post many times, I felt like I was writing a book.

Now that I think about it a book, even if only an ebook, by a professional level pilot comparing the Edges, Extras, Sbachs, Slicks, Yaks, etc. would be welcomed. Instruction on setup and equipment options would be useful and help make it a best seller.

Perhaps information such as mentioned above is already available in mutimedia format. But I have not seen instruction on airframe characteristics, setup, equipment options and capabilities, flight characteristics and differences, etc. all in one handy manual.

Happy landings!

Those extras are amazing at high speed high energy maneuvers, but I don't like how I notice a difference down low and slow! I have to be on top of it more with constant adjustments, albeit that's my skill level talking, but with the slick I feel like I barely do anything and it just floats for me. When I'm feet or inches off the ground with $1000+ plane, I want as much control and confidence as I can get. For me, nothing gives me that like my 70 slick!

For very experienced pilots I say chose either one, but for people like me who have a lot of learning left in them, I ALWAYS reccomend the 51 and 71 slicks!
Oct 14, 2012, 10:01 AM
Registered User
Trill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeast
Another big plus for the slick - IMO - is no SFG's. They are a pain in the butt - I hate any field assy at all, and big ones can get dinged on TO and landing too.
Yes, I don't like putting a plane together at the field either. So, my favorite plane right now is the 59" Slick. It's the largest one I can fit in my vehicle with the wings on. I even install the battery and balance the plane before I leave home. That way after I arrive at the flying field I simply turn on my transmitter, plug the battery into the ESC, attach the canopy, and away we go. Fun! Fun! Fun!
Last edited by Trill; Oct 14, 2012 at 11:42 AM.
Oct 14, 2012, 10:05 AM
Registered User
Trill's Avatar

Extras for the professionals


Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D
Those extras are amazing at high speed high energy maneuvers, but I don't like how I notice a difference down low and slow! I have to be on top of it more with constant adjustments, albeit that's my skill level talking, but with the slick I feel like I barely do anything and it just floats for me. When I'm feet or inches off the ground with $1000+ plane, I want as much control and confidence as I can get. For me, nothing gives me that like my 70 slick!

For very experienced pilots I say chose either one, but for people like me who have a lot of learning left in them, I ALWAYS reccomend the 51 and 71 slicks!
Me too! +1 again!!
Oct 14, 2012, 10:20 AM
3DHS 'native'
going4speed's Avatar
Do you really need the sfg's though?
Oct 14, 2012, 10:39 AM
Registered User
Trill's Avatar

SFGs


Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed
Do you really need the sfg's though?
The SFGs are not needed on the Extras, but the SFGs improve performance in knife edge maneuvers.

On my 57" 330SC with SFGs versus without SFGs I think performance improved about ten percent all around.

I enjoyed the plane without SFGs. I enjoyed the plane more with SFGs!
Last edited by Trill; Oct 14, 2012 at 11:20 AM.
Oct 14, 2012, 11:27 AM
Registered User
Trill's Avatar

Slick collection


Anyone have a 42" or 89" orange Slick they want to part with? I want to complete my
50cc size and smaller Slick collection.
Last edited by Trill; Oct 14, 2012 at 11:35 AM.
Oct 14, 2012, 01:31 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
theKM's Avatar
in my opinion, Edge and Extra's do some spanking on the Slicks for low and slow 3D. Edge has more aileron authority and it can roll at times that no plane should be able to roll, it also has more pitch authority. The footing that the Extras have, especially with SFG's, is the best in my opinion and can get a grip on itself and get flying sooner than all the other airframes...

...Slicks are a little better at speed than these planes with a little better tracking, but 3D goes to the Edge, second to the Extra. The Extra is the "easiest" and the most comfortable being harder to upset and quicker to recover.

But all one needs to do is read the histories... people learning their 3D and doing the most flying with Slicks will vote differently. the Slick does react a little different, and if you're used to this as opposed to what the Extras do, you will say Slicks will do everything better. Inversely, if you did all your 3D'ing on the Extras, then the edge will be given to the Extras... until you've spent all the time needed on both airframes to get used to them both equally, this is just how it is. When I first started flying the 104" Slick, I wasn't comfortable at all yet I could do anything with the 103" Extra. But time spent with the Slick, I'm now happy to throw it into whatever I want.


This is of course just much opinion... but I'll also lay out there that Joe swapped from Slicks being his favorite planes to the Extra's due to their better manners.... just say'n

(and anyone who now types that you need to be a pro to see the difference or to get whatever out of the Extras is lining themselves up for a slapping, cuz that is nonsense )
Oct 14, 2012, 01:35 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
theKM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill
The SFGs are not needed on the Extras, but the SFGs improve performance in knife edge maneuvers.
...they also stop spanwise airflow from rolling off the end of the wing. It makes the wing a little more steady in harrier, helps it get unstalled and flying when you want to get flying again, few other little things but it does for sure help maneuvers beyond knife edge flight.

it's kind of like knife edge mixing helping out more maneuvers than just knife edge... it changes the yawing properties of the plane, etc etc
Oct 14, 2012, 01:54 PM
Registered User
Trill's Avatar

Look, listen, and learn!


Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
in my opinion, Edge and Extra's do some spanking on the Slicks for low and slow 3D. Edge has more aileron authority and it can roll at times that no plane should be able to roll, it also has more pitch authority. The footing that the Extras have, especially with SFG's, is the best in my opinion and can get a grip on itself and get flying sooner than all the other airframes...

...Slicks are a little better at speed than these planes with a little better tracking, but 3D goes to the Edge, second to the Extra. The Extra is the "easiest" and the most comfortable being harder to upset and quicker to recover.

But all one needs to do is read the histories... people learning their 3D and doing the most flying with Slicks will vote differently. the Slick does react a little different, and if you're used to this as opposed to what the Extras do, you will say Slicks will do everything better. Inversely, if you did all your 3D'ing on the Extras, then the edge will be given to the Extras... until you've spent all the time needed on both airframes to get used to them both equally, this is just how it is. When I first started flying the 104" Slick, I wasn't comfortable at all yet I could do anything with the 103" Extra. But time spent with the Slick, I'm now happy to throw it into whatever I want.


This is of course just much opinion... but I'll also lay out there that Joe swapped from Slicks being his favorite planes to the Extra's due to their better manners.... just say'n

(and anyone who now types that you need to be a pro to see the difference or to get whatever out of the Extras is lining themselves up for a slapping, cuz that is nonsense )
See what I mean by until theKM educated me (regarding turbulence)?

Best to hear what the professional level pilots have to say. Now if only AJ, Joe Smith, etc. would also weigh in.
Last edited by Trill; Oct 14, 2012 at 02:00 PM.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Unofficial NQD Tear Into Jet Boat Mod Thread Energy Jet Drive Boats 15480 Today 12:08 AM
Discussion Banana Hobby Customer Support Request/Q and A Thread! banana hobby Banana Hobby 1182 Yesterday 12:39 AM
Discussion The Official AirWare Q&A Thread AndyKunz Radios 104 Dec 29, 2016 05:18 PM
Discussion THE FIRST UNOFFICIAL Parkzone Sukhoi mods thread!!!! bluemeane Micro Ready-to-Fly 27 Aug 17, 2009 11:23 PM
Megatech H2O unofficial thread and first rewiew. grk65 Racing Boats - Electric 7 Mar 05, 2007 12:09 AM