Apr 02, 2012, 04:30 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
rule of thumb is that the airframe is about a third the price of overall setup using quality components...
to remove ads between posts
Apr 02, 2012, 04:35 PM
Team JetiUSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer
Anyone running the Castle 80 ESC? In my Extra, the motor makes a resonant squeal when it starts, and also at stop. It's an Axi motor, can't remember what size exactly. I'll take a video when I get home, and post it.
That squeal is the ESC having trouble getting timing on the motor, a squeal from stop to moving is somewhat normal (particularly with larger motors and higher pole counts) especially in flight if the prop is freewheeling (or on partial brake) in flight on a downline as you add power and level off.

If you get it a lot it is very likely that you have misconfigured timing in your ESC for the motor.

Peter+
Apr 02, 2012, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshort
Interestingly they recommend the 75 ICE Lite for this plane, any idea why they'd recommend it when the other ESCs listed are a 45 and a 55? Right now I'm working on mentally justifying this purchase since with shipping and everything I'm looking at close to $500, which is a bit more than I wanted to spend right now. I was originally looking at planes in the $250-$300 range, haha! This may end up being my only plane for the next long while if I get it!
There are some corners to be cut, though i am not sure what shipping is looking like for you. Check out ZTW esc's from quantum hobby, dont skimp on servos hs65mg from toddmodels is about the cheapest your going to find them, Omega motors are great value for the money i have also been experimenting with sunnysky motors from EPbuddy that work very well. All areas to look at so you can save a little money and still get quality products
Apr 02, 2012, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the tips on where to look for different items. I'm in Alaska so shipping on a larger item like a plane will be about $50 from 3DHS. That's actually one reason I've ordered from Horizon in the past is they manage to ship here for about half that.
Apr 02, 2012, 06:29 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Anybody got a copy of Scott Stoops book that your done with? "The Pilot's Guide to Mastering Radio Controlled". Pay a fair price.

Ron
Apr 02, 2012, 06:41 PM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvogel
That squeal is the ESC having trouble getting timing on the motor, a squeal from stop to moving is somewhat normal (particularly with larger motors and higher pole counts) especially in flight if the prop is freewheeling (or on partial brake) in flight on a downline as you add power and level off.

If you get it a lot it is very likely that you have misconfigured timing in your ESC for the motor.

Peter+
Thanks for the help Peter. I also forgot to mention, I didn't notice it happening with the Xoar prop.. Maybe the heavier APC loads the motor enough to cause the timing to "lag?" I dont have any brake set into it, that I know of. I programmed it to stop the motor 1 "click" above 0 throttle, and full throttle on the stick runs the ESC to the full current light.
Apr 02, 2012, 06:49 PM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
Here's a video of the offensive wail...
Motor Squeal (0 min 21 sec)
Apr 02, 2012, 07:00 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Turn off the motor brake.
Apr 02, 2012, 07:06 PM
Team CJ Youngblood
HillHoppers R/C 3D Smackdown
(Helicopters or Airplanes)

When: May 5th 9a.m. – Whenever (lights are available)

Where: GPS coordinates 40.089629,-80.611711
Triadelphia, WV

Travel on Chapel Hill Road from Rt-40 approx. 3 Miles, you will be taking a right onto Roneys Point Run. The sign for Roneys Point Run is covered with trees at times so it may be hard to see. Maxwell run road is almost directly across from Roneys Point Run. After you are on Roneys Point Run take the first right onto the field road (dirt/gravel). As you turn onto the field road, go past the two posts/gate. The field is at the end of the road.
***There will also be “AirShow” signs posted**

Food will also be offered = Hamburgers, Hotdogs, and drinks.

$7.00 landing fee will pay for food.

15 foot DC power strip, Bathrooms with running water, 2 Shelters, microwave, refrigerator.

Events to be held: Hover bowling, Limbo, Lowest Snap contest, Longest tail drag, Ballon Pop, Combat
Apr 02, 2012, 07:07 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcskkrose
Anybody got a copy of Scott Stoops book that your done with? "The Pilot's Guide to Mastering Radio Controlled". Pay a fair price.

Ron
Nevermind. I found one.

Thanks Steve.
Apr 02, 2012, 07:09 PM
OOPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic
Turn off the motor brake.
^^^ wut he said..you got the brake on. or the brake is set to on,whether you done it or not.
Apr 02, 2012, 07:12 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts
a question... i have hacker x55 and castle ice 50... and i have 42 slick and pa ultimate... wich one to go where? after having a cheap 40A esc C"£p out on me on 42" im kinda leaning to leave 55 in slick...
P.A. Ultimate in the trash heap....

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My old shop....
Apr 02, 2012, 07:12 PM
Just got back home after spending a couple of days with my daughter to celebrate our youngest granddaughter's first birthday (which was cool by the way). Sitting on the doorstep was my Blazing Star mount for my DA-60 on my SHP. Wow this goes way beyond bling, this is actually quite functional with so much access to the carb and linkages. I am so glad I got one.
Apr 02, 2012, 07:15 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcskkrose
Nevermind. I found one.

Thanks Steve.
No Problem....

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My old shop....
Apr 02, 2012, 07:21 PM
Just go with the flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR
Just got back home after spending a couple of days with my daughter to celebrate our youngest granddaughter's first birthday (which was cool by the way). Sitting on the doorstep was my Blazing Star mount for my DA-60 on my SHP. Wow this goes way beyond bling, this is actually quite functional with so much access to the carb and linkages. I am so glad I got one.
I got one about a year ago, have not used it yet. My first wood mount warped, had a buddy make me one out of hardwood and it has help up great. The Blazing Star mount is beutiful and very functiona with all the access. It wieghs 1 ounce more than my present mount and I like where my CG is on the plane. I would love to put the Blazing Star mount on but not sure what 1 ounce added wieght on the nose will do.

Quick Reply